Mini Suite with No Tub

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Hi All,

Was reading about the couple that had paid for a mini suite to get a tub non Norwegian. They didn't get the tub, but still had to pay the extra $400 smackeroos for the the cabin that didn't have the accoutrement the shelled out for.

This is nothing new for NCL. I own a travel agency and will never recommend NCL. My dislike of NCL started years ago when they abandoned a group of blue collar workers. The passengers booked air and sea with NCL. They got to the airport early enough to catch their flight. Only problem was there was a change of schedule not only with the departure time, but the airport as well. The passengers were never told of the big change by NCL! to make matters worse they couldn't get to the next airport in time to catch the flight to make the ship. So the group went home, expecting to get their money back.

Nope! NCL refused to reimburse their guests! These were hard working folks who deserved a good time instead of the shaft.

NCL does not understand customer service.

Seems like they still don't. The couple mentioned in today's newsletter from Elliott (29 July) didn't get the tub, but they did get soaked for $400!

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I am a travel agent as well and the same category on a ship can have different tubs. I just had this on an 2 -SB cabins on Holland America. One had a tub and one didn't. My older client wanted the cabin without the tub because she is 90 years old and can't step over the side. The cabins are purposely made designated without tubs so that they have some for people who don't want them in that category. If the other people who wrote got a cabin without a tub, someone didn't do their homework. If they booked on their own, they didn't look at the deck plans or perhaps there were no more cabins with tubs in their category available.

NCLs newer ships don't have tubs in the mini suites and since he booked by calling NCL, the agent should have known that. At the very least, the agent that booked him needs some training.

They are paying the higher amount for the cabin type, not whether it has tub or not. If you read the deck plans when you book you can see what cabins have tubs and which don't. The cabin descriptions state it. And with NCL, some ships only have tubs in mini suites, the newer ships don't. On the older ships if someone doesn't want a tub, they have to book an accessible cabin. If you want a tub, you need to research which ships have them and which don't.

If you want a tub, you have to make sure you are booking a ship that actually has them and not assume. That goes for any cruise line, not just NCL.

I have cruiselines I don't care for booking clients on and never say I won't book them. As far as NCL, you need to carefully qualify your clients - if they know what to expect they won't be disappointed. NCL is a big sell in my area because they sail year round out of here. I know my RCCL devotees would not like NCL and I position it that way to them.

For anyone reading this, the writers opinion of NCL doesn't reflect Elliott.org opinions.

Carol Phillips

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 28, 2014
Coastal South Carolina
Agree 100% that the guest should have checked his actual cabin assignment to see what amenities that particular cabin had. As has been said, not all cabins in the same category are identical ... and not all do/do not have tubs.

When I owned my agency, I was known for listening to what my agents were telling prospects/clients. And if I heard an agent say "I don't like (name of cruise line)", I'd call out in a smiling voice "It doesn't matter what you like. You're not going."

Hi Neil,

I never intended to speak for Elliott.org forum!

NCL or whoever booked them did not listen to the client. If they client says he wants a tub, pays extra then he should get a tub. There's no excuse.

NCL has a history of not being very friendly. I can list 'em if you're interested.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Hi Neil,

I never intended to speak for Elliott.org forum!

NCL or whoever booked them did not listen to the client. If they client says he wants a tub, pays extra then he should get a tub. There's no excuse.

NCL has a history of not being very friendly. I can list 'em if you're interested.
I didn't mean to imply that you were offering anything other than your own opinion. I was jujst making sure anyone seeing it knew it wasn't ours, lol.

We all know the agents at the cruise lines do not always know what they are talking about and in fact many of them have never set foot on a ship. It's still my opinion that he enjoyed the perks of the mini suite and really isn't owed any more than that.

But thats what makes this a wonderful world. We are all entitled to our opinions and in fact it is good to post here because sometimes someone comes up with an idea that no one else has thought of. This is good in the Elliott.org world.

We have all had bad experiences with cruise lines. I just had a $14,000 HAL booking cancel because of bad information the woman got from HAL agents. It happens. Because I use NCL so much, maybe my relationship with them is different than yours.

Are you related to travelplus?

Aug 28, 2015
New York
Hi All,

Was reading about the couple that had paid for a mini suite to get a tub non Norwegian. They didn't get the tub, but still had to pay the extra $400 smackeroos for the the cabin that didn't have the accoutrement the shelled out for.

This is nothing new for NCL. I own a travel agency and will never recommend NCL. My dislike of NCL started years ago when they abandoned a group of blue collar workers. The passengers booked air and sea with NCL. They got to the airport early enough to catch their flight. Only problem was there was a change of schedule not only with the departure time, but the airport as well. The passengers were never told of the big change by NCL! to make matters worse they couldn't get to the next airport in time to catch the flight to make the ship. So the group went home, expecting to get their money back.

Nope! NCL refused to reimburse their guests! These were hard working folks who deserved a good time instead of the shaft.

NCL does not understand customer service.

Seems like they still don't. The couple mentioned in today's newsletter from Elliott (29 July) didn't get the tub, but they did get soaked for $400!
The airline changed the departure time and didn't tell them? You couldn't arrange for another flight to get them there on time?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Hi All,

If NCL didn't send anything, I can understand why you aren't particularly thrilled with them.
Didn't they send your agency an email about the flight change? I always receive the notices from the cruise line and have to pass them on to my clients. Are you totally independent or do you work with a host? Before I was independent I had too many problems with hosts not forwarding those emails and went out on my own to control that. I haven't had an issue since.

I am also surprised that with a whole group flying not one of them noticed a change of time on their boarding passes when they did their online check in the night before.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Not my clients. Read about this incident a long time ago in TA magazine. Back then travel agents issued the Boarding Pass.
Well, you can't hold something against NCL if it didn't happen to you and it was so long ago. Cruise lines used to call agencies and tell them about changes back in those days so I am not quite buying the agency that was involved in this didn't miss something. How long ago was this story?

Well, you can't hold something against NCL if it didn't happen to you and it was so long ago. Cruise lines used to call agencies and tell them about changes back in those days so I am not quite buying the agency that was involved in this didn't miss something. How long ago was this story?
Neil,

No agency was involved. It was a direct NCL booking. Yes, this was a long time ago, as I initially said. But unfortunately, there have been many egregious episodes by NCL in recent times.

NCL has a pattern of customer abuse and they indeed need to be held accountable for it.

The latest big one was a couple of years ago when a hurricane forced all cruise ships out of San Juan early. All cruise lines paid to move their clients to the next port of call and picked up their hotel tab except NCL. NCL passengers eventually were compensated.

My agency will not recommend a cruise line that doesn't put their clients first. At our agency clients come first. We believe in service. NCL does not.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
It is pretty much par for the course when booking travel that no one wants to return the $, for whatever reason, unless a much higher refundable rate is booked. Not saying I like that, but it is not q surprise.
Recently, it took 5 months to get $600 back from a hotel that cancelled on me! I am curious about the flight change scenario you described bc I rarely check or confirm after I book.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Well we all have different experiences and if you have directly had problems with NCL, I can totally understand your dislike of them. I will book a supplier until they do something egregious and if they can't fix it, never deal with them again. I have a vacation supplier I refuse to use after they totally screwed up a reservation and could not fix it. So now I take their prices and price match them with other suppliers. If you cannot trust a supplier to have your clients best interests at heart, you just can't sell them. Our reputation is built on who we use so I totally get it.

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

Well we all have different experiences and if you have directly had problems with NCL, I can totally understand your dislike of them. I will book a supplier until they do something egregious and if they can't fix it, never deal with them again. I have a vacation supplier I refuse to use after they totally screwed up a reservation and could not fix it. So now I take their prices and price match them with other suppliers. If you cannot trust a supplier to have your clients best interests at heart, you just can't sell them. Our reputation is built on who we use so I totally get it.

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.
Neil, you are right on!:)