Medical Waiver Not Granted For Cancellation

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 19, 2015
This is a follow-up to an issue raised, I believe in April of this year. Fareboom was notified that we wished to cancel our flight with Air Canada for medical reasons. They were not satisfied with the note Betsy's doctor had provided. (I believe you responded on 8/16.)
I wrote to them on 9/19. More recently I sent them a letter on letterhead from Betsy’s doctor which they forwarded to Air Canada. The reply from Fareboom on 10/11 was that since the information they had requested was provided past the date of flight, it was invalid.
As you can see, Fareboom was notified in a timely manner. (April, of the cancellation.) This substantiation that was acceptable to them was provided after the original date of travel it was, therefore, invalid.
When I spoke with Fareboom, ( I think it was in August, they offered) to refund and charge a service charge for the cancellation of $400/ticket ($800 total.) I told them I would provide the information they requested. At no time did they inform me there was a deadline or that I was to inform Air Canada personally.
I feel that Fareboom intentionally put as many obstacles in front of me as possible hoping to wear me down, so that I would give up altogether.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Honestly, without travel insurance you are not owed anything - any credit or refund would be something the airline or supplier did as an exception. No t That is exactly what travel insurance is for. Does your credit card you used offer any cancellation benefits for medical reasons?

Sep 19, 2015
Honestly, without travel insurance you are not owed anything - any credit or refund would be something the airline or supplier did as an exception. No t That is exactly what travel insurance is for. Does your credit card you used offer any cancellation benefits for medical reasons?
Thank you for your response. I'm going to have to file an insurance claim.

Sep 19, 2015
This is a follow-up to an issue raised, I believe in April of this year. Fareboom was notified that we wished to cancel our flight with Air Canada for medical reasons. They were not satisfied with the note Betsy's doctor had provided. (I believe you responded on 8/16.)
I wrote to them on 9/19. More recently I sent them a letter on letterhead from Betsy’s doctor which they forwarded to Air Canada. The reply from Fareboom on 10/11 was that since the information they had requested was provided past the date of flight, it was invalid.
As you can see, Fareboom was notified in a timely manner. (April, of the cancellation.) This substantiation that was acceptable to them was provided after the original date of travel it was, therefore, invalid.
When I spoke with Fareboom, ( I think it was in August, they offered) to refund and charge a service charge for the cancellation of $400/ticket ($800 total.) I told them I would provide the information they requested. At no time did they inform me there was a deadline or that I was to inform Air Canada personally.
I feel that Fareboom intentionally put as many obstacles in front of me as possible hoping to wear me down, so that I would give up altogether.
There is a reason that it is advised to book directly with the airline and not with a third party online booking engine.

Your situation however was more problematic as the passenger was not hospitalized, was fit to fly, but could not do the extensive walking that was part of the destination. As per the original post:

The trip required extensive walking. In December, we discovered that my travel partner would not be able to handle the walking.

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/extenuating-medical-circumstances.10866/

Did the flight actually get cancelled or were you marked as a no show?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I found your original post and we advised you that this most likely would not be covered - you booked a tour with extensive walking and then you said your partner could not handle the walking:

The trip required extensive walking. In December, we discovered that my travel partner would not be able to handle the walking.

Was there a sudden change in your partners health that made it so he or she couldn't walk since you had booked the trip? If not - this isn't something insurance would cover. You needed to have booked a less strenuous tour.

Jan 6, 2015
the United States
Your original thread was posted here on August 17th with the following details:

You booked in March, 2018 for an August, 2019 trip
You notified Fareboom in January 2019 about cancellation request due to partner's inability to do the walking
After the submission of a physician’s statement, Fareboom, requested a hospital certificate, but neither of you had been hospitalized
Fareboom requested a statement on physician’s letterhead, and asked why your travel partner can’t fly

And with your update:

They offered to refund and charge a service charge for the cancellation of $400/ticket (in August?)
I told them I would provide the information they requested (before or after the scheduled trip?)
You sent them a letter on letterhead from Betsy’s doctor (October?)
Fareboom responded that since the information they had requested was provided past the date of flight, it was invalid.

Depending on the timing (see the items in BROWN), it appears to me that you did not submit the documents in time. I do see your statement about no deadline, but you had amply time (since January) to send in the statement on physician’s letterhead.

Sep 19, 2015
Your original thread was posted here on August 17th with the following details:

You booked in March, 2018 for an August, 2019 trip
You notified Fareboom in January 2019 about cancellation request due to partner's inability to do the walking
After the submission of a physician’s statement, Fareboom, requested a hospital certificate, but neither of you had been hospitalized
Fareboom requested a statement on physician’s letterhead, and asked why your travel partner can’t fly

And with your update:

They offered to refund and charge a service charge for the cancellation of $400/ticket (in August?)
I told them I would provide the information they requested (before or after the scheduled trip?)
You sent them a letter on letterhead from Betsy’s doctor (October?)
Fareboom responded that since the information they had requested was provided past the date of flight, it was invalid.

Depending on the timing (see the items in BROWN), it appears to me that you did not submit the documents in time. I do see your statement about no deadline, but you had amply time (since January) to send in the statement on physician’s letterhead.

Thank you for your response.
When the trip was booked, all travelers were fit to travel.
I see what you said, however, fareboom did not respond in a timely manner in the beginning, nor did they inform me of any timetable. This doctor is visited quarterly. Responding to correspondence is not his long suit. When we were there, in person, he had the letter written. We'll just have to see how the insurance decides. Trust me, this has been very aggravating.

Sep 19, 2015
I found your original post and we advised you that this most likely would not be covered - you booked a tour with extensive walking and then you said your partner could not handle the walking:

Was there a sudden change in your partners health that made it so he or she couldn't walk since you had booked the trip? If not - this isn't something insurance would cover. You needed to have booked a less strenuous tour.

Thank you for your response. Yes, the trip was booked in March, and the health issue arose the following December.

Sep 19, 2015
There is a reason that it is advised to book directly with the airline and not with a third party online booking engine.

Your situation however was more problematic as the passenger was not hospitalized, was fit to fly, but could not do the extensive walking that was part of the destination. As per the original post:

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/extenuating-medical-circumstances.10866/

Did the flight actually get cancelled or were you marked as a no show?
I believe the way fareboom handled it, it was a no show.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You have nothing to lose submitting an insurance claim- either they honor it or not. The dr must make a compelling case in what changed physically that caused your companion not to be able to travel.

All you needed from the beginning was to file a travel insurance claim. Christina actually asked that in your original post:

Did you buy any insurance or does the credit card used offer insurance?

You never replied to that question.

Sep 19, 2015
You have nothing to lose submitting an insurance claim- either they honor it or not. The dr must make a compelling case in what changed physically that caused your companion not to be able to travel.

All you needed from the beginning was to file a travel insurance claim. Christina actually asked that in your original post:

Did you buy any insurance or does the credit card used offer insurance?

You never replied to that question.

Yes, insurance always.

Jun 24, 2019
I write only to observe that by waiting until now, October, to think about filing an insurance claim, you have given your insurance company no opportunity to help you secure a full or partial refund as the trip has occurred. A full or partial refund would have mitigated the insurance company's exposure.

Our credit card (which is discontinuing insurance) gives us 60 days to file a claim.

Allianz, which issued the last travel policy we had, provided for notice with 90 days.

The time runs from when you knew you had a claim. From your story, that may be December 2018.

As Neil advised above, file your claim ASAP. Maybe your insurance company will have a generous notice policy.

Sep 19, 2015
I write only to observe that by waiting until now, October, to think about filing an insurance claim, you have given your insurance company no opportunity to help you secure a full or partial refund as the trip has occurred. A full or partial refund would have mitigated the insurance company's exposure.

Our credit card (which is discontinuing insurance) gives us 60 days to file a claim.

Allianz, which issued the last travel policy we had, provided for notice with 90 days.

The time runs from when you knew you had a claim. From your story, that may be December 2018.

As Neil advised above, file your claim ASAP. Maybe your insurance company will have a generous notice policy.
The tour's deposit was lost through gate1travel. They have a wonderful policy (NOT!)

What was at stake here is the airfare.

Jun 24, 2019
The tour's deposit was lost through gate1travel. They have a wonderful policy (NOT!)

What was at stake here is the airfare.
Understood. But an early contact to the insurer may have helped getting a full or partial refund. Now, if coverage exists, the insurer may be on the hook for the full $800. As you can imagine, insurers don't like being put in that situation. So the adjuster will be looking for reasons there is no coverage, or, if there is coverage, for why the notice of loss is late.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I felt it was more important to show that I tried all other methods of getting a refund before I resorted to filing a claim.
That is not the way to go about this. You should have filed the insurance claim first- that’s exactly what it covers. That’s why we asked when you first wrote. Your claim might be denied simply because you waited too long. Check the terms of the policy to see how long you had to file a claim.