Medical insurance - travel to Canada with pre-existing condition

  • Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Nov 28, 2017
Hello all,

I am looking for a little advice. My in-laws are visiting us in Toronto, Canada for a month early next year. They are from Venezuaela

Father is 71 years old - not per existing conditions
Mother is 67 years old - had a heart stint put in 2012

I was looking into getting health insurance from CAA - what in your opinion is the best bet for a health insurance company for my situation. Im not concerned with price of the coverage, just looking for the most reputable company

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Dec 27, 2014
New York
If your parents are not citizens many of these companies will not cover them - most in the US are for US citizens only. If you can find a company that will cover non citizens - simply do a Google search for "Complaints about XYZ Company" and see if there are complaints about the company.

Carol Phillips

Staff Member
Dec 28, 2014
Coastal South Carolina
We cannot recommend any particular company, but I did a quick search for "insurance venezuelan citizens visiting Canada" and got several hits. One company's policies seem to cover "Acute onset for pre-existing conditions" (up to a certain dollar limit). There are differences for the amount covered and the age of the traveler.

As @Neil said, after you find a company that sounds possible, do a search for Complaints about Company X and see what comes up.

I hope you have a lovely visit with your inlaws.