Medical Cancellation Refund

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jun 22, 2019
I was diagnosed with colon cancer on May 3, 2019 and told by my surgeon that I couldn't travel on a planned trip to Italy starting May 18, returning June 1. My wife tried to get an airline refund from ASAP Ticket, the agency that sold me the ticket, for $1584. ASAP Ticket charged me $300 for a United Airlines penalty, $100 ITN refund processing fee, and $597.97 penalty recalled from ITN by the carrier. I agreed to a refund of $586.03 (received), which I feel is a gross injustice. My wife and I had the same return itinerary, although our outbound itineraries were different. She had been booked by SkyLux travel and received a full refund of $1871. A refund of $586 on the ticket costing $1584 is absurd. I had a serious medical problem requiring major surgery (performed on June 7 (removed the ascending colon) and could not travel.

I would like an additional refund of $900.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I’m sorry to hear about your illness, having to worry about air tickets while facing an illness is stressful.

If you have travel insurance you need to put a claim in to the company for the balance.

If you didn’t buy insurance, contact the credit card company you purchased your trip with and ask if they have any coverage for the air.

Here is a post you should read that gives you information on refunds for non refundable air:

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/refunds-for-non-refundable-tickets.3304/

Sep 19, 2015
I am sorry to hear of your illness. I hope you are recovering.

Regrettably you and your wife used two different online agencies and neither of them has great reviews. One is reported to be a mileage ticket broker. Mileage tickets tend to be more flexible with cancellations.

ASAP tickets makes money on the fees.

Please check the credit card to see if there is any travel insurance. You can try appealing to ASAP.

You should understand that no company is obligated to refund you if the tickets are non refundable. That is why travel insurance exists for non refundable costs.

Sep 20, 2018
I recently got a CC from Chase that covers travel interruption and first insurance for car rentals...but intrest rates are high for even really good credit... so I try and pay it off right away... sapphire preferred..I havent had to use it for insurance yet...hopefully wont have to...

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
If "I agreed to a refund of $586.03 (received) " it is likely that the refund is final. To receive anything but a refund of the taxes on a non-refundable ticket would be very unusual regardless of the reason for cancellation.

This is why it is essential to have travel insurance for all prepaid non-refundable expenses. You may have some coverage from the credit card you used.

Mar 10, 2015
Hi Dave,
I'm so sorry to hear about your illness. I run a United Airlines Tips and Secrets Facebook page and while this information probably can't help because you didn't book directly with United, this is information I give to people with medical cancellations:

"If you have to cancel a flight due to an emergency then United doesn't generally refund the ticket (unless you bought the more expensive "refundable" tickets). What United will do is give you a credit for that flight that can be used up until 1 year from the booking date. When you go to use that credit then United will charge you a change fee and a fare differential if applicable. Submit medical documentation that led you to cancel your flight and United will refund the change fee (https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/reservations/refunds/refund.aspx). Any fare differential is non-refundable."

Below is information I found in an article:

"United does have a policy that states: ""If the doctor's letter states the passenger cannot travel for an undetermined period, then the policy calls for a refund to the original form of payment, less a $50 service fee" (this policy is mentioned in this article: http://www.chicagotribune.com/subur...t-evr-help-squad-tl-1029-20151029-column.html)."