Mechanical, equipment change, crew timeout...

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
We have company contacts on top of our page. Read the information and write using the method described. They are really the only ones who can answer your question as to why they did what they did.

I saw some horrifying video today of a couple stuck in their car and getting caught in one of the tornadoes. You were a lot safer in the airport then them attempting to fly.

Did you have any Travel insurance? Policies usually reimburse for a hotel stay for things like this.

Sep 19, 2015
MCI was built just before the installation of metal detectors, and the layout is both unique and terrible.
Sounds like you have been there.

All I can say is that I was there a few days after BED BUGS were found in a different terminal and a section was closed down for fumigating. So I had no desire to sit down anywhere in that airport. And then to have the flight delayed, I was filled with joy.......

Sep 19, 2015
So why not cancel while there is still time for the displaced customers to have a decent evening instead of FUBAR? The miniscule chance to complete the contact of carriage "only" 5 hours late vs. the 99% chance of a too late to do anything cancellation. Just pipe dreams, I know; I'm obviously looking for "decency to all" from whence it will never come.
The airline wants to get the plane to its last stop. Your plane was scheduled to leave at 7:55 -- that plane likely started at 6:00 am flying in the region, stopping for an hour or two, and then another route -- and it is expected in Springfield in the evening likely for an early am flight. So the airline wanted to get the staff and plane in its final spot so it can all start again the next day.

I have seen airline personal frustrated with the lack of information; one pilot on a flight with mechanical delays voiced his frustration, saying well they mechanics promised to be here but have not shown up -- and this went on for 40 minutes. I did not have a connection or anything pressing so did not panic but

When people call airline travel today buses with wings it is not far off. In some ways I understand it -- airplanes cost a lot of money and no company has a fleet of extras just waiting around. Yet I suspect that there are philosophies of delayed maintenance, waiting for the plane to be not air-worthy before attending to the plane. Certainly things can go wrong just like in a car -- I am concerned, but I know that air travel is very safe.

I remember in the mid to late 1980s I would fly from Seattle to London on a standby ticket -- not confirmed -- had to call the day before and see if there was room on the plane. It did not matter as I was in high school and just visiting family so flexible -- inflation wise that is around $1,400 dollars now. Now the lowest ticket on the same route (BA, non stop in the summer) is around $1,000 -- with one bag and the seat chosen 24 hours before departure. SO I realize that it is less expensive to fly but the seats are much smaller, there are incidental charges.......

I think travelers have to be realistic and prepared, but the airlines should and can do better.

Apr 14, 2018
SW MO
We have company contacts on top of our page. Read the information and write using the method described. They are really the only ones who can answer your question as to why they did what they did.

I saw some horrifying video today of a couple stuck in their car and getting caught in one of the tornadoes. You were a lot safer in the airport then them attempting to fly.

Did you have any Travel insurance? Policies usually reimburse for a hotel stay for things like this.
Thais, I'll check out the contacts. I do want to make clear

Apr 14, 2018
SW MO

Thanks, I'll check out the contacts. Maybe send an email.

I also want to make clear that I don't have a problem with the cancellation itself, just the method and the protracted delays, the blatant disregard for the customers. I certainly know and appreciate the dangers. It happens every spring and summer, pretty much clockwork. Midwest. Tornado Alley. Someone should write some algorithms and broadcast weather reports and tornado warnings and watches. Ok, that last sentence was pure snark. Forgive me. I just get rankled when the haves take advantage of the have nots.

No travel insurance. Quite frankly, not a fan of any insurance. I said before, I didn't take a room, and don't believe I would have just because insurance. The logistics just weren't logical, and that was because the late time of cancellation, as discussed elsewhere on this thread. Just thoughtless.

Anyway, I appreciate the insights from the commentators to this thread.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Thanks, I'll check out the contacts. Maybe send an email.

I also want to make clear that I don't have a problem with the cancellation itself, just the method and the protracted delays, the blatant disregard for the customers. I certainly know and appreciate the dangers. It happens every spring and summer, pretty much clockwork. Midwest. Tornado Alley. Someone should write some algorithms and broadcast weather reports and tornado warnings and watches. Ok, that last sentence was pure snark. Forgive me. I just get rankled when the haves take advantage of the have nots.

No travel insurance. Quite frankly, not a fan of any insurance. I said before, I didn't take a room, and don't believe I would have just because insurance. The logistics just weren't logical, and that was because the late time of cancellation, as discussed elsewhere on this thread. Just thoughtless.

Anyway, I appreciate the insights from the commentators to this thread.
I hear you, Andi. My biggest gripe with a delay is lack of communication ... and it seems very common with the airlines. I'm sure someone could do a study and would find that the airlines don't communicate because it's literally so difficult to give out information and have everyone understand it. They can announce that "a replacement plane is on its way from STL and might be here by 5pm and we might be able to use it to fly you to Denver. about 8pm. But. when they announce an hour later that it's not happening, passengers go bananas. I guess that it's just easier for the airline to keep quiet and annoy everyone. But annoyance is better than people yelling at each other. OTOH it's quite possible that nobody ever really knows what's happening until it happens.

Apr 14, 2018
SW MO
FYI, I filled out the customer care form on my UA app, didn't say much different than my original post here in the forum. Got a reply today:

Clearly your e-mail expressed your disappointment with your flight delay and the manner the delay was handled.

I'm very sorry for the lengthy delay of your recent flight, and for the manner it was handled. Your complaint will be shared with the appropriate divisions for review, so we can determine how to improve our recovery efforts when uncontrollable disruptions occur in the future, and every effort will be made to better service you the next time you fly with us.

As a token of concern, I've authorized a goodwill gesture of $100 electronic travel certificate, which you will receive via e-mail within 3 days.

Your loyalty as a member of our MileagePlus program is greatly appreciate. Thank you for being the best part of United Airlines.

Sep 19, 2015
Andisan I am happy that the airline made a goodwill gesture and hopefully your concerns will be taken into consideration. Good job in writing an effective letter.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Andisan 1, UA 0. Well done! Thanks so much for letting us know. When we receive a query from someone with a seemingly unsolveable problem, it's good to know that our method works and we can give people hope.