Meals removed after 1st class ticket purchase

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Dec 19, 2017
I booked first class with Alaska Airlines and used the explore tab on their site to pick flights with meals. About a week later I was notified that the flights had been changed. The only change was in aircraft model and the removal of all of the meals.

Customer service tried to assist me looking for any flights with meals. Only one could be found offering a late night snack instead of dinner. On the return flight there was no suitable option. The meal removal was system wide but does not take effect until spring of 2018 flights.

These are long flights of 3-4 hours each leg with two legs.

I sent a letter using the form on their website and also an email to the executives listed on this site.

I await responses.

Dec 7, 2017
SoCal - EAST
I booked first class with Alaska Airlines and used the explore tab on their site to pick flights with meals. About a week later I was notified that the flights had been changed. The only change was in aircraft model and the removal of all of the meals.

Customer service tried to assist me looking for any flights with meals. Only one could be found offering a late night snack instead of dinner. On the return flight there was no suitable option. The meal removal was system wide but does not take effect until spring of 2018 flights.

I sent a letter using the form on their website and also an email to the executives listed on this site.

I await responses.
what do you want?

You want a refund so you can go buy tickets from someone else?

They're not going to board a meal or give you a discount.

Do you want a $25 voucher for a future flight? Thats what they're gonna offer. . . .

Barry Graham

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Jan 7, 2015
It seems to me that the flights were booked because they had meals and were changed to non-meal flights. I would be upset if that happened to me. I hope you get a good response from them.

Sep 19, 2015
I have to agree with Barry. If the airline takes away an amenity after ticketing, that is a reason to be upset. I would not be happy with this, just as I would not be happy to hear that they changed the baggage allowance after booking --
A meal was part of the cost when the ticket was bought.

Sometimes it is not practical to travel with food. If coming from work or a long drive food can spoil. I remember the days when it was easy to bring yoghurt, cold sesame noodles, etc but that was pre liquids in a baggy days.

And connections can often be too tight to grab something.

As someone who has had to race to the airport and had no time to eat having a meal on the plane helps.

I do not think that avnbal is being unreasonable.

Did the aircraft change to a smaller plane like a regional jet which often may not have a lot of galley space?

Please let us known the response Avngal!

Last edited:

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Does Alaska have any other flights that still show meals? I would ask the airline the move me to one of those at no charge.

I do agree that after paying for first class because of the meals, it isn’t right for them to remove them.

If you have a medical necessity for meals you should not only mention that but contact t the special needs department of the airline and have it added to your reservation.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Jul 27, 2016

I await responses.
What resolution did you ask for in your emails? They're not going to reinstate meal service on those flights. Do you want a credit for the inconvenience? The ability to cancel and get a refund?

Dec 19, 2017
Why don’t you bring food with you? How long is your connecting time between flights?
Of course I can bring food if none is available. My point is more that I bought tickets with meals and then the meals were removed. I have two flights each 3-4 hours long amd that is one way.

Dec 19, 2017
What resolution did you ask for in your emails? They're not going to reinstate meal service on those flights. Do you want a credit for the inconvenience? The ability to cancel and get a refund?
My personal feeling is amenities should not be removed after purchase and flights over 3 hours should have meal options. The coach fare passengers have meals on my flights! So as I person who paid a premium for my seat I belive they should provide some type of meal option.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I agree and you should escalate your claim to the Alaska Airlines exes. But you need to tell them what you expect them to do or what you want in exchange. Obviously they can’t make a meal in a plane that doesn’t have it so you have to decide what you want.

Their website is also a little deceiving because I don’t see anything about the type of aircraft, only the routes that are included.

Jul 27, 2016
My personal feeling is amenities should not be removed after purchase and flights over 3 hours should have meal options. The coach fare passengers have meals on my flights! So as I person who paid a premium for my seat I belive they should provide some type of meal option.
Wait, you're saying that these flights have meals in coach, but not in First Class? I've literally never heard of that. Do you mean that coach pax have the option to buy a meal box of some sort?

If that's the case, then First Class pax will certainly have the same right.

Bluntly, regardless of what you believe about what Alaska should offer, they're not going to change the meal options on those flights. So, again, do you want some form of compensation, or do you want a refund so you can book with another airline?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Wait, you're saying that these flights have meals in coach, but not in First Class? I've literally never heard of that. Do you mean that coach pax have the option to buy a meal box of some sort?

If that's the case, then First Class pax will certainly have the same right.

Bluntly, regardless of what you believe about what Alaska should offer, they're not going to change the meal options on those flights. So, again, do you want some form of compensation, or do you want a refund so you can book with another airline?
I put a link above about the meals. From what so could get there may only be a cheese plate for first class. I’m not seeing that there will be no meals at all in first. And it’s only on certain routes. From what I could make out of the link I posted at 1:21

Jul 27, 2016
I put a link above about the meals. From what so could get there may only be a cheese plate for first class. I’m not seeing that there will be no meals at all in first. And it’s only on certain routes. From what I could make out of the link I posted at 1:21
That looks like it's for their new "choose your option ahead of time" program (kind of a hugely limited version of SQ's Book the Cook). Looks like the choices are "entree or fruit and cheese plate."

Dec 19, 2017
I agree and you should escalate your claim to the Alaska Airlines exes. But you need to tell them what you expect them to do or what you want in exchange. Obviously they can’t make a meal in a plane that doesn’t have it so you have to decide what you want.

Their website is also a little deceiving because I don’t see anything about the type of aircraft, only the routes that are included.
I found a tab called “explore” and then clicked on one of the left tabs relating to flights. There you see meals offered before you purchase (thos is not easy to find). I noticed that the flights with meals were slightly more expensive. Anyway....you can still see the old schedule up until about March. There flights many flights have meals not just snacks or nothing in first class. After the spring however aircraft were swapped and most meals were removed. At this point I have emailed the execs. Also, somewhere on their website it states they offer meals on most flights over 3 hours. I think you are wrong. If enough people complain they may in fact reinstate the meals. Or perhaps the system has not been updated yet to reflect meals on all of the swapped flights as this literally just happened. I want the execs not to cut amenities considering other airlines do not. Sorry if that is not the right thing to ask them to do. I am going to fly them this one time and based on my experience decide to keep their visa card and book other flights...or not.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I think you absolutely need to go to the Executives at Alaska Air. The descriptions are tripping over themselves and it’s not clear at all and unless passengers say something I’m willing to bet the executives don’t even know this is going on.

However, you say you want them to "not to cut amenities considering other airlines do not" - but from your original post it sounds like they were cut due to a change in the aircraft type. Is that what happened? If it is - I don't see how they can give you an upgraded meal if it can't be cooked. What your question should be to them is "I don't understand why changing the aircraft type would affect the meals that should be included in first class. Can you explain what happened and why?"

Did you try emailing Chase Craig? You must tell them what you would like them to do for you for the inconvenience and the unclear terms.

I’m in your corner on this one. Start emailing one at a time with a week in between.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Sounds like the usual airline mumbo-jumbo. It's a change and the information never gets out properly, so you get all kinds of answers when you ask.

If coach can purchase meals, then they will give you one without charge. If there is no galley, they will probably offer a fruit and cheese kind of plate.

By all means make your displeasure known ... you are 'flying all day' with no food and it makes no sense unless you have a nice long layover. But just for grins, pack some pretzels and cheese and grapes or whatever you enjoy so you don't suffer. You can always eat them for dinner if Alaska does come up with some sustenance.

Dec 19, 2017
Hello everyone,

Thanks for all of your wise advice. I did write to the execs. I jave not heard back from them BUT.....

Now the meals are back up on all of the flight schedules with the new aircraft. This is happy news. There must have been an online delay in updating the meals.

I am glad I was very polite when contacting the execs too in case they do read my email.

The administrator may end this thread. This ussue has been resolved.