Marriott Rewards Points

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 9, 2017
We received an email from Marriott Rewards 2 days prior to check in on September 1 that the reservation I had made with points was no longer valid as my points went from 68,940 to a negative 46,940. I was told that this had something to do with some error with United Airlines wrongly crediting my account back in 2014. I spent over an hour with the CSR on the phone, but they were unable to give any details as to why or how this happened.

Dec 12, 2014
Wow, a 100,000 points adjustment is pretty significant, not to mention related to something from 3 years ago.

This forum is probably not the best place for assistance with reward programs, but you can contact the Marriott executives on the Contacts page to get a better explanation.

Nov 14, 2016
We received an email from Marriott Rewards 2 days prior to check in on September 1 that the reservation I had made with points was no longer valid as my points went from 68,940 to a negative 46,940. I was told that this had something to do with some error with United Airlines wrongly crediting my account back in 2014. I spent over an hour with the CSR on the phone, but they were unable to give any details as to why or how this happened.
Roberta,

Have you researched to see if the points were incorrectly credited to your account? 115,880 points is quite a few and that many points should be pretty easy to figure out whether or not they were valid. I'm a Marriott Platinum for 5 years running, have 450,000 points and I could tell you pretty easily whether or not 115k points were over-credited or not. In short, did you earn those points or not?

If you think you really earned these points, you need to email Marriott and politely ask them to investigate and provide full details. I doubt a normal CSR would have access to that information - they're going to need to do some research. Either way, they're not going to get done prior to your stay so I suggest you book a normal (paid) room.

I had something similar happen to me with Marriott back in 2008 or so. I got full credit for a lengthy Residence Inn stay rather than the appropriate 50% points. After using the points for a stay in New Orleans, Marriott found the error and I was 50,000 in arrears. So I emailed Marriott customer service and asked them to split the difference so that I was 25k in arrears. I politely let them know that I could always abandon the existing account, sign up for a new one under a new email address and be back to zero. They set my account back to -25k per my request and I worked my way out of negative territory from there. But I wasn't upset once I did my research because I hadn't earned those points.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
What a nightmare. I hope you have kept track of your points over the years so this can be easily resolved with the Marriott people. I'm not a Marriott person, but you should be able to get a complete ledger of your account from their website, right? I'd do that ASAP, and print it out.

Do you recall the situation with United in 2014? This is a HUGE number of points and someone must have noticed something at some point. Good luck and please let us know how this pans out.

ADVOCATE ADVICE
In the face of increasing fraud and various shenanigans, set your loyalty programs up on a spreadsheet, keep track of your points and do a little settlement (like your bank statement) at least once a quarter. If you have many points, review everything at least once a month. I think I'd commit hari-kari if my precious points and/or miles disappeared.

Jul 27, 2016
What a nightmare. I hope you have kept track of your points over the years so this can be easily resolved with the Marriott people. I'm not a Marriott person, but you should be able to get a complete ledger of your account from their website, right? I'd do that ASAP, and print it out.

Do you recall the situation with United in 2014? This is a HUGE number of points and someone must have noticed something at some point. Good luck and please let us know how this pans out.

ADVOCATE ADVICE
In the face of increasing fraud and various shenanigans, set your loyalty programs up on a spreadsheet, keep track of your points and do a little settlement (like your bank statement) at least once a quarter. If you have many points, review everything at least once a month. I think I'd commit hari-kari if my precious points and/or miles disappeared.
You should check out awardwallet.com. Really useful site to keep all your loyalty info in one place.