Marriott mandatory destination fee

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jun 13, 2019
Hello,

I am attending the conference at the beginning of August in LA and made a reservation in advance using group discount via this website for The JW Marriott Hotel Los Angeles at L.A. LIVE
https://book.passkey.com/event/49694761/owner/1450096/home

I got a confirmation email. Which did not include destination fee. And I also went to Marriott website and sent confirmation email from there, just in case. That email didn't have destination fee either.
When I went to Marriott website again a couple of months later I noticed this line:
"Please note – Daily destination fee of USD 25 plus tax added to rate incl daily USD 20 food/beverage credit, in-room Internet and more."
This certainly was added after the booking had been made. And when I send confirmation from Marriott website now, it has this destination fee.

I emailed to customer support via website form and got a response from this email address customer.care.hotel.info@marriott-service.com a few days later to my personal email.

"I'm sorry that you was not aware of the destination fees being added to the reservation.
The break down of the additional fees and taxes appear on the screen before confirming the reservation.
We are not able to waive/remove the destination fees on your reservation. "

I attached my original confirmation and sent this email:
"There is none information here about daily destination fee, which was added days or month(s )later, after the reservation was done, without letting me know. I found out about it accidentally when I logged in on Marriott website.
So, saying that daily destination fee was on the screen when I was making a reservation is simply not true."

I responded on Sunday, the same day I got the email from customer support. It hasn't been a week yet, but I have a feeling they are not going to answer.

I am not sure, what to do next. Call to the hotel, send email to a different address, so I have a paper trail of emails and could dispute it with the credit card company later. Or talk at the front desk with the manager, when I am actually at the hotel.

And I don't know if it is legal to add destination fee *after* the reservation was done without letting the customer know

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thank you,

Lena

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You need to go to the people that booked the conference and ask why the resort fee wasn’t included. I’ve also gotten stuck with those fees for conferences.

I used your link to try and book a room and this popped up before I entered my information:

Please note-Daily destination fee of USD 25 plus tax added to rate incl daily USD 20 food/beverage credit, in-room Internet and more

Jun 13, 2019
You need to go to the people that booked the conference and ask why the resort fee wasn’t included. I’ve also gotten stuck with those fees for conferences.

I used your link to try and book a room and this popped up before I entered my information:

Please note-Daily destination fee of USD 25 plus tax added to rate incl daily USD 20 food/beverage credit, in-room Internet and more
Strange. I don't get that. Maybe it depends on the browser
But even if so, I don't have any destination fee in my confirmation emails, not from that website or Marriott website. And the final price is different. Shouldn't my confirmation emails be a legal proof that they can't charge me extra, because this information wasn't there originally?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
As I said, this is on the company that booked this hotel for the group. They should have made you aware of the fee if they are forcing you to stay there for this. If this changed after they booked the block of rooms - then they need to fight this battle for you. Their contract for the hotel should have information on what is and isn't included. Go back to them about this fee.

My wife goes to a lot of conferences and she doesn't always stay at the hotel that the conference is being held at - she often finds a nearby hotel and stays there and just goes to the hotel for the conference. You should try that.

I'm not sure the destination fee is new - many times it is buried in fine print and third parties don't always have it show up.

Feb 12, 2019
Passkey is what's used for a conference I'm attending. The resort fee is not added to the charges shown in my confirmation (nor are the taxes). The confirmation doesn't state the dollar amount of the resort fee, but does mention it'll be added to room account. It also only shows the % of the hotel tax and does not add it on.

Not sure if this is any help!

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
It could be the browser you use - I just tried it on my computer and Lena is right - the fee doesn't appear - only the taxes show. When I did it on my phone, the pop up showed.

I think you should contact the company that has the block of rooms first - find out what they contracted for - and then use our Marriott contacts if the company can't help.

Jun 13, 2019
As I said, this is on the company that booked this hotel for the group. They should have made you aware of the fee if they are forcing you to stay there for this. If this changed after they booked the block of rooms - then they need to fight this battle for you. Their contract for the hotel should have information on what is and isn't included. Go back to them about this fee.

My wife goes to a lot of conferences and she doesn't always stay at the hotel that the conference is being held at - she often finds a nearby hotel and stays there and just goes to the hotel for the conference. You should try that.

I'm not sure the destination fee is new - many times it is buried in fine print and third parties don't always have it show up.
Yes, I would stay somewhere else nearby, but the discount was too big :)
And I wouldn't mind paying the fee if it was there when I was making the reservation.

Sep 19, 2015
Well that evidence certainly looks bad -- Is the reservation being sent by passkey? Someone made a mistake and I am just trying to figure out which one -- hotel or booking engine

Feb 12, 2019
Yes. 2 attachments are first original reservation confirmation emails and one confirmation is after the destination fee was added
In case it's any help - that black box on your first attachment is where Passkey mentioned the resort fee on my reservation (which is a difference/conference city but the confirmation format is just like yours).

Jun 13, 2019
Well that evidence certainly looks bad -- Is the reservation being sent by passkey? Someone made a mistake and I am just trying to figure out which one -- hotel or booking engine
In one case the reservation was sent by passkey. But in other cases the confirmation comes from Marriott itself. Originally without the destination fee and about two months later, when I decided to check my reservation again, with the destination fee

Jun 13, 2019
Seeing these reservations - I think you should fight it as well. You definitely had confirmations without that fee and they should be honored.

https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/marriott/

Here is how to go up the chain:

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/resolving-consumer-complaints-and-developing-a-paper-trail.8903/
If I am contacting Marriott again, is it better to send them email again starting with the customer support customer.care@marriott.com ?

Apr 3, 2016
The resort fee is not great to get as a surprise... but at least this one includes a way to get 20 dollars back via the food/drink credit. Many hotel fees only include stuff you used to get for free (internet,gym)

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Since the fee wasn't shown on your confirmation, just take a copy of it along when you check in. If the hotel doesn't confirm the fee at that time, wait until you're checking out and tell them to remove the charge. Tell them it wasn't included so you're not going to pay it. You may have to repeat yourself several times, so-called managers might come out and try to change your mind. Just repeat your story. Be polite, be patient and firm. A hotel can't charge you fees that weren't disclosed when you booked. They get away with it all the time because customers don't want to make a fuss. If you have the proof and you're polite and firm, there will be no fuss, and you'll prevail.

Sep 19, 2015
Since the fee wasn't shown on your confirmation, just take a copy of it along when you check in. If the hotel doesn't confirm the fee at that time, wait until you're checking out and tell them to remove the charge. Tell them it wasn't included so you're not going to pay it. You may have to repeat yourself several times, so-called managers might come out and try to change your mind. Just repeat your story. Be polite, be patient and firm. A hotel can't charge you fees that weren't disclosed when you booked. They get away with it all the time because customers don't want to make a fuss. If you have the proof and you're polite and firm, there will be no fuss, and you'll prevail.
Yes the problem may be that the hotel finger points to the booking engine and says take it up with them, they gave the wrong info. Not that one has ever seen that before ;)

Dec 19, 2014
Prior to contacting Marriott management team, I would recommend sending a polite e-mail to the management team at the JW Marriott/LA Live. Send a copy of the original confirmation and see if they will honor the rate without the resort fee.

I would try sending an e-mail to Crystal Peterson, Sr. Administrative Assistant to the Hotel Manager, The Ritz-Carlton, Los Angeles, JW Marriott Los Angeles L.A. LIVE
crystal.peterson@marriott.com

If you do not get a favorable response by the hotel management team, then I would pursue with Marriott.