Marriott denied 7 paid nights from 2 weeks prior to enrollment in Platinum status challenge to be included in the required total nights

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jun 6, 2019
I became a Marriott Bonvoy Silver Elite when I received the Chase Marriott Boundless VISA credit card along with some great perks including 15 nights credit. Our trip to Hawaii was a last minute decision and booked about ten days before our departure. We stayed at the Residence Inn at Maui Wailea for 3 nights beginning May 22, 2019. Then we went to Oahu and stayed at the Courtyard Waikiki Beach for 4 nights beginning May 25, 2019. Upon our return home, I was checking on a planned four night stay at the Marriott Eaton Center in Toronto beginning June 28, 2019 and noticed that my Marriott app on my phone now showed that I had 22 nights this year and said 3 nights away from Gold Elite status. We also wanted to go to New York City to see the Macy's Fourth of July fireworks and made a reservation for 3 nights at the Renaissance NY57 beginning July 3, 2019. I called the Elite desk to ask if I would be able to get the benefit of Gold Elite status for my stay in Toronto for the entire stay because I would attain Gold Elite while I was there and would I also receive the benefit for my future stay in NYC. The agent was extremely helpful and patient and she suggested that could enroll in the Platinum challenge. She explained that Platinum status could be granted with 16 paid nights within a 3 month period when enrolled in the promotion, rather than the required 50 paid nights within a year. I thought great, so I asked if they would consider the 7 nights from my stays in Hawaii. She said that she could not include them in the promotion as I just signed up for the challenge on June 3, 2019 but she would create a case for my to ask if Marriott would consider them for the challenge. Thinking and staying very optimistic, I thanked the agent as she gave me the case number. I received an email from Marriott saying that request for the inclusion of the 7 paid nights from May 22 to 29, 2019 would not be included in the 16 paid nights for the challenge. I replied to the email and asked that my case be reviewed as with my planned future stays I would have 14 paid nights and that it would be an added incentive for me to stay another 2 paid nights to obtain 16 paid nights within three months from May 22, 2019 rather than the enrollment date of June 3, 2019. I also mentioned that I do also have options with Hilton (Silver status) and Hyatt (Discoverist). The agent acknowledged that she knew where I was coming from and that she could not change the date of the challenge but did say "if there was a say for me (the agent) to go in and change the date on the promotion, I (the agent) would" but she said she had no way of doing so. I thanked her and suggested that if she would refer my request to someone on the senior Guest Experience Team or a supervisor that may have the authority to do so because she was unable to. My request is only that they consider it only if I am able to fulfill the 16 paid night requirement within the 3 month period from May 22, 2019 instead of June 3, 2019.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
You can contact Marriott: https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/marriott/

Your email to them needs to be much clearer and formatted with bullet points. As written it is very difficult to understand what happened. Stop calling Marriott; email only.

Leave out "The agent acknowledged that she knew where I was coming from and that she could not change the date of the challenge but did say "if there was a say for me (the agent) to go in and change the date on the promotion, I (the agent) would" but she said she had no way of doing so." This is meaningless and does not help you.

Sep 19, 2015
So you want to retroactively add credits to a challenge? You stayed someplace before enrolling in the challenge and want them to count?

The representative was trying to de escalate the situation so any comments made are not helpful.

Go ahead and write but temper your expectations: the chain does not want to set a precedent with retroactive credits.

Apr 1, 2019
When you write your email/letter, drop the mention of your choices of other hotel chains. IMHO, after working in hotels over half of my life, it just doesn't matter. It also may say that you are spreading your travel amongst several chains to keep several special statues. This shows loyalty to no one.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
“called the Elite desk to ask if I would be able to get the benefit of Gold Elite status for my stay in Toronto for the entire stay because I would attain Gold Elite while I was there”

Why would you think you should be granted an exception to the rules? Is there something compelling that makes you different?

As the others have suggested, you can ask using our company contacts but you must give them a reason why the rules should be broken for you. We always say give it a try because you never know what they will say but realize that there are thousands of others who travel more often than you do that have to wait to complete their travel so you reasoning has to be exceptional .

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
When you write your email/letter, drop the mention of your choices of other hotel chains. IMHO, after working in hotels over half of my life, it just doesn't matter. It also may say that you are spreading your travel amongst several chains to keep several special statues. This shows loyalty to no one.
Well said- it absolutely shows Marriott you don’t have particular loyalty to them only.

Sep 19, 2015
Honestly I see very little chance that Marriott will back date enrollment. More than half of the nights credited are from the credit card and not from paid stays. The bank pays Marriott for the points.

But Neil makes a good observation. Why would the hotel first grant status prematurely (the request for gold) and now change the enrollment date of the challenge? Why is special treatment warranted? Clearly there has been no long term loyalty as the silver status is from the credit card.

And the terms of the challenge state

“Nights stayed prior to enrollment are not eligible for this offer.”

Marriott appears to stick to the program rules. As there are many people chasing the status the rules are being consistently applied.

If one wants to chase status then it is important to know the terms of the program and follow them.

Jun 6, 2019
Thanks so very much for all the input and helpful advice. As you can probably tell, I’m a novice at reaching out to companies to ask for something.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Thanks so very much for all the input and helpful advice. As you can probably tell, I’m a novice at reaching out to companies to ask for something.
You have to make a strong case for why you are above the rules- it’s not going to be easy and saying one wrong thing can hurt you. If you would like to post your letter here we can look at it before you send it.

Make sure it’s clear, with paragraphs and proper spelling.

Jun 6, 2019
Thanks Neil and the others for the comments. It was a great reality check that puts it all in prospective. I may just wait to see if I do in fact fulfill the challenge before I ask for the exception. This has been a learning experience and am so glad that all of you care enough to add your comments.

Sep 19, 2015
Travel4life you have a great attitude. There are so many people that try to game the system (versus being new like you) that the hotels and airlines make strict rules for promotions. And one has to read and understand all the fine print. Hopefully you will make the promotion on your own, or add some inexpensive overnights if you are close. Enjoy your travels.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Thanks Neil and the others for the comments. It was a great reality check that puts it all in prospective. I may just wait to see if I do in fact fulfill the challenge before I ask for the exception. This has been a learning experience and am so glad that all of you care enough to add your comments.
Please note the wording- you qualify AFTER staying the required nights.

After registering, you’ll have an opportunity to qualify for one of two status levels:

Dec 19, 2014
My 2 cents... (based on many many years as a Marriott loyalist)

1) Sadly, the "new" Gold status is not that special. It is guaranteed to give you bonus points upon check-in, but nothing else is guaranteed. You may get a room upgrade or request late checkout until 2PM, but that's it.
2) Since the acquisition of Starwood, Marriott has become pretty strict with the rules. So, I agree with Christine, I doubt that you will get an exception to the rules, especially since Marriott has a glut of Platinum and higher members.

I disagree that mentioning your status with other hotels will hurt your case. It depends on HOW the status on the other hotels is earned. If you truly stated 10+ nights with Hilton and Hyatt, I believe that you can use that to benefit your case for an exception. You will have to convince someone at Marriott that you plan on being brand loyal in the future. For example, if you are planning to dump Hilton and Hyatt and transfer 100% of your business to Marriott, they MAY grant you provisional Platinum status.

My letter to Marriott would follow this format
- I frequently travel for both work and pleasure
- I enrolled in the Chase Marriott card specifically because Marriott properties fits my travel plans
- Currently I have status in Hilton and Hyatt (include your statements for the past year)
- I have already stayed 7 nights since May
- I have reservations for 7 nights through July
- I plan and average X nights a year

Will you consider granting me provisional platinum status once I complete 16 stays through August, giving me credit for the 7 nights that I stayed prior to enrollment?

** of course the above is contingent on the fact that you earned status with Hilton and Hyatt through actual stays and not promotions.

If this were the OLD Marriott (ie prior to 2017), I'm 99% confident that you would be upgraded status wise. With the new Marriott, I'm not sure, but it's worth a try.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I'm a serious points and miles junkie and I can't follow your story at all, but I know little about Marriott. Compose a list of the facts, concise as possible. Express profound appreciation for anything they could possibly do for you. I disagree with my colleagues; your status with the other hotel chains does enter into your situation. Marriott would LOVE to snag a HHonors person with status ... that's what all these bonus/affinity credit cards/status match stuff is all about. The Marriott/Starwood merger has been such a disaster that they've lost many loyalists. Good luck and please let us know the outcome.

Jun 2, 2016
I’ve averaged 140+ nights a year with Marriott for over 20 years and concur with the comments that the program isn’t what it used to be.

If Gold matters and you are only a couple of nights away, find a local Fairfield Inn or Moxy with a good rate and book a couple of nights. Do this before the trips you want Gold status.

Good luck.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I’ve averaged 140+ nights a year with Marriott for over 20 years and concur with the comments that the program isn’t what it used to be.

If Gold matters and you are only a couple of nights away, find a local Fairfield Inn or Moxy with a good rate and book a couple of nights. Do this before the trips you want Gold status.

Good luck.
Excellent advice.