Marriott deleted all points without notification.

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 21, 2018
Last year I discovered my Marriott points, which I had accumulated over 20 years, were gone. Due to family health issues, I had not traveled for several years,

I contacted Marriott and was told that since I had not had any activity in two years the points had expired. They also stated that the sent me several emails explaining this.

I never received any emails. If I had, I would have used or donated points to have activity. I sent a letter about this to the corporate office on 11/10/2017, but never received a response.

Today, while looking at my Marriott profile to verity the email address, I noticed that there is no email address in mu account profile. Given that, I don't see how they could have sent me any emails.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Marriott simply gave you their procedure for expiring points which is to email the account in question. If you had never set your account up properly then Marriott would have no way to contact you and you would be responsible for logging into your own account and knowing the rules.
I am a long time Marriott member and receive monthly emails, I also read those emails and log into my account every couple months to make sure I’m getting the Points I am due. I do NOT ever get anything from Marriott that has to do with my account in the Mail (ever) I do get advertising propaganda ;)
The burden is on the member to make sure their account is active and up to date!

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I am so sorry, Chuckie. Don't feel like the Lone Ranger, we get a post like yours at least once a month. Loyalty plans were set up way back when to reward loyalty. Things quickly got out of hand, and with the advent of the credit card sign-up bonuses, "everyone" has a bunch of points somewhere. I am a hard-core loyalty points junkie and I check my accounts every month or so. If I lost even 12 of them I'd come unglued. The program sponsors are eager to get rid of this incredibly huge balance sheet liability, so they don't budge on reinstating points for anyone who isn't a regular, loyal customer. Some programs allow you to purchase your points back, but from what I've seen, it's an expensive proposition. Still ... we never advise giving up ... use our Company Contacts to "artfully beg" for your points back. Make your letter concise and polite. Submit to one exec at a time, waiting a week between. It's an extremely long shot, but worth a try.

Barry Graham

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Jan 7, 2015
I agree with @jsn55 it doesn't hurt to try to get them back using the company contacts. Please let us know what happens - whether they say "Yes" or whether they say "No".

Mar 21, 2018
Thanks for all the feedback so far. I have contacted the company via phone and email about reinstating the points (response was no), and US mail (sent to Rewards department at their Bethesda, MD address - no reply). Is there another way to contact them?

I set up my Marriott Rewards account before email, which is probably why there is no email in my account. Today, if you try to set up an account profile, you must enter an email, so my account must have been set up before that was required. Marriott's email response to my request stated they could confirm they sent notification emails to me, but I don't know how they could have without my email address.

I used to get US Postal mailings, but I can't remember when that stopped.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Thanks for all the feedback so far. I have contacted the company via phone and email about reinstating the points (response was no), and US mail (sent to Rewards department at their Bethesda, MD address - no reply). Is there another way to contact them?

I set up my Marriott Rewards account before email, which is probably why there is no email in my account. Today, if you try to set up an account profile, you must enter an email, so my account must have been set up before that was required. Marriott's email response to my request stated they could confirm they sent notification emails to me, but I don't know how they could have without my email address.

I used to get US Postal mailings, but I can't remember when that stopped.
Postal mailings stopped years ago.

You have done all you could by emailing and US mail. Our contacts usually work - follow the directions we have about writing in Company Contacts - start at Customer Service and move up one by one weekly.

Jul 13, 2016
Well, that was a nice and quick resolution! Chuckie, I suggest that you schedule a routine check in on your account, at least monthly, so you can be up-to-date on all Marriott updates and news. just so you can avoid issues like this!

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Thanks - on the contact site I found the customer.care@marriott-service.com email. I contacted them with my explanation and they re-instated my points.

Thanks again for all the tips.
Are you kidding? This is FANTASTIC! I do believe this is the first successful "intervention" with a loyalty program ever. Great work, Chuckie! Maybe you should post your email so that we can share it with others as the "gold standard" of how to ask for something.