Marriott Brussels Center: reception staff into a taxi fraud combine?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jun 19, 2018
I visited Marriott Brussels Center hotel and since their flyer showed a travel assistance, I ordered a taxi to the airport, being convinced to get a hotel guest rate, being lower than the regular taxi driver's rates.
It was 4,30 am, so very low traffic and I showed the driver the shortest way to Brussels Airport, knowing Brussel city quite good.
The ride took approx 20 minutes and 9 km's. I was surprised that the taxi driver's meter was not working!? Ending up at the airport he charged me 52 €, much more than my previous taxi ride from the airport to the hotel, by a regular taxi company in full traffic, driving by the ring an taking 1 hour and ca 25 km's: taxi meter showed 48 €...
I asked the last taxi driver why this ride costs me 52€, while my other longer ride costed me only 48 € and he answered that this was a special rate they agreed with the Marriott hotel!?
Getting my paycard-bill (I cannot upload the attached bill...so if Marriot would like to get a copy, they can ask me), I noted that this bill was not from the taxi driver's company, but from a separate business of this taxidriver and/or of his combined taxidrivers, working together with hotel staffs… So this taxidriver even screwed his employer, steeling gas from him and he is in a combine with the hotel staff to screw their guests.
Are Marriot Directors aware of these practices? Maybe they should investigate this as undercover taxi-user...
I finally decide not to use Marriot's taxi services anymore, maybe even not to use the hotel at all in the future...

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
John, we have company contacts on top of our page. I urge you to report this to Marriott Executives. Read the information under our Company Contacts and start a letter writing campaign. This is something they need to be aware of.

Let us know what happens.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
This happens all the time; most recently to me in England. 25 pounds out to Hampton Court from Heathrow, 55 pounds back. Both trips in the middle of the day, same luggage, took about the same amount of time. I told the second guy I'd pay him 25 pounds and he quickly backed down. I booked the outbound ride with CrownePlaza, the return with Doubletree.

As far as I'm concerned, you cannot win with taxi drivers, you never know which ones are going to try to cheat you. I always ask the hotel for an approximate cost before I book the taxi ... then I'm not a victim. And nobody knows if there's a coordinated effort between the hotel and the taxi driver without an investigation; I'm sure hotel GMs have far bigger issues to deal with. I don't know whether it makes any difference if management knows about this stuff, but you certainly can notify them.

Sep 19, 2015
Taxi and limo drivers can really be a problem. But I have some questions

Was this a regulated taxi service, one licensed by the region?

If it was a regulated service why would you think there would be a “good deal?” Taxis with regulated tariffs charge the same to all customers and cannot deviate from that charge.

Did you ask at the front desk if this was a limo service or regular taxi? And what the charge would be?

Some taxi companies charge by distance and there is not a charge for standstill traffic so the time means little.

Often there is a night surcharge — the traffic may be less but there is more pay due to irregular customers and the difficulty of working off hours. 4 euros more as a night differential does not sound outrageous if the charge is by distance (ie km) or zone.

Jun 19, 2018
I just ordered a taxi through the hotel taxi service, at the reception, counting on the hotel reception to offer the best solution... The taxi that showed up was a regular one of aan official taxi company.... and yeah, I trusted the hotel reception to easily...
But it was not normal that the taxi driver did'nt switch on his meter...

Sep 19, 2015
JohnCV I agree with you, if the fare regulation is metered the meter should be on. If it is regulated as a flat fare to airport like some cities (CDG to center of Paris) then that should be disclosed.

You should write to the general manager of that hotel.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You should also write to Marriott Executives. They should know this is going on to perhaps get the property involved or look at the concierge and see if this has happened before, this might be a scam between the concierge and the cab driver.

I can tell you this just happened to someone I was in meetings with. We compared notes on how much a cab was from the airport to the hotel and one guy was charged $53 for a cab ride that cost $22 for the rest of us. He said he didn’t recall the driver resetting the meter when he got in but going forward that is his new rule- he will make sure the meter is reset and if not he will day something or get out of the car.