Man suing Southwest Airlines after carry-on bag fell on him

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jul 10, 2013
Another argument for enforcing carry-on rules.
-----
A passenger aboard a Southwest Airlines flight is suing the airline after a carry-on fell on him during the boarding process.

"According to the lawsuit, Jeffery Reinhardt was on a Southwest plane at Portland International Airport on Jan. 17, 2013 when another passenger tried to fit a piece of luggage into the bin above him. When a flight attendant tried to assist the passenger, a piece of baggage fell on Reinhardt who was already sitting down.

After the incident, Reinhardt claims he suffered several medical issues including a compressed disc."

Grant Ritchie

Dependable adequacy :-)
Oct 1, 2014
Well, perhaps a few lawsuits will convince the airlines to enforce their own carryon rules. The matter has gotten quite out of hand.
And impress upon their flight attendants that they should never help a passenger stow a bag... ever. That was just dumb. You know the "hurt" passenger is going to go after the deep pockets. :rolleyes:

Oct 10, 2014
I believe some airlines already prohibit FAs to help passengers, not because of something like this, but because they get hurt themselves frequently. If helping others keeps resulting in lawsuits, then passengers will stop helping fellow passengers as well. Elders and moms with infants would be on their own.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
And impress upon their flight attendants that they should never help a passenger stow a bag... ever. That was just dumb. You know the "hurt" passenger is going to go after the deep pockets. :rolleyes:
Not having the FA help store your stuff is interesting, Grant, I have a chronic sore shoulder and when travelling w/o my husband, I always ask for help hefting my roller up ... oftimes a fellow passenger but usually an FA ... but my roller does not bulge and fits neatly in the overhead, it would be hard to imagine it falling on someone's head.

Jan 8, 2015
The quoted story doesn't say if it was that person's luggage or another item that fell out. Whatever fell could have been well within the size restrictions. I'm actually curious to hear what the whole story is, not just from the guy who claims to have gotten hurt.