Malware?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 6, 2016
Over the last several,days, when I click on a link in an Eliott post to Facebook, I am redirected to a site that tells me that my iPad has been selected and that I am eligible to enter a drawing to win a new iPhone 6. When that little square ops up on my screen, I cannot back out of it or close it. The only thing I can do, short of following the link, is to restar my iPad. Just now I tried to go to Elliott.org and got redirected to a strange Google page, but the next time I tried-now- everything seemed fine. Any thoughts? Thanks.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Change your passwords! Make sure your computer is completely up to date. Clear your cashe and cookies (don't know how to do that on an iPad) !

Yiks!!!

Sep 6, 2016
Thanks for your reply. This is a brand new iPad which I've just updated to the latest operating system. The problem only occurs on the Elliott Facebook posts and direct URL entry. I will clear my cache, however, and delete cookies. Maybe that will help.

Jan 8, 2016
Southern Oregon
Same thing happened to me - just started this morning. Using my iPhone while traveling. Be interesting to see if it occurs on my home computer. Only when trying to link from FB

you don't have to restart your ipad - all you have to do is click on the home button twice - and close the browser by swiping up. Have someone show you how.

Now- oddly enough I've seen that happen as well - I am assuming somewhere I have a picked up a little code - or the site is being probed and tag a long malware is being inserted then caught -

Nov 3, 2015
Over the last several,days, when I click on a link in an Eliott post to Facebook,
FWIW, I'm working on an Open SUSE Linux machine, and I don't see the issues you reported from opening the Air Berlin and breastpump stories on Facebook.

However, when I look at your quote above, you've got a typo: "Eliott", instead of Elliott.
My previous experience with the issues you mention has been that they can arise from a slightly mistyped URL. Any chance of that here?

Feb 9, 2016
Feb 9, 2016
I'm on an iPhone and having no issues at all.
You probably do not have the malware on your iPhone.

I actually do remember clicking on something recently (a page I visit regularly) and Avast notified me that there was malware present on that site. That's probably where I got it from.

Feb 9, 2016
I'm looking into this. If the problem is on our side, we'll fix it.
If it is a problem that emanates on your server, please let us know what the name of it is so we can correct it on our side.

I'm going to look into this and correct it on my PC tonight. If I get it identified, I will post what it is. If I get it cleaned I will post that too.

Nov 3, 2015
As of 2:06 pm PDT, https://elliott.org is looking like a pretty bare-bones site; I assume you've stripped off most of the "pretty" to go bug-hunting, but if that's not the case, there may be more issues that first thought.