Mail scam and Wells Fargo Bank

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 13, 2019
I reported this to the Norwalk police department, the FTC, postal inspectors and FBI.

I am not sure if this is the right department but I want to describe a situation that I have and see what you would suggest.
2 weeks ago I received a check for $3,420 to utilize in a secret shopper job that turned out to be a fraud. I have the letter that was sent the envelope it was sent in I have any kind of receipts that was utilized and I'm trying to find out what I can do.
the bank that cash the check and made the funds available right away will not even give me the time of day. all the money that was in my account is now gone can I have a disability check that's going to come on February 20th and the bank will end up taking that because they cleared my account because that $3,420 check according to them they couldn't collect any funds

I do not know what to do I do not know where to turn I have a 12 year old daughter and a 19 year old daughter who's in college and I have no funds

What can I do!? They (Wells Fargo Bank) will take my entire disability check. I need it to live. I'd be willing to pay them $200 a month as long as they would bring my present balance to 0 after the sçam

Keith Merriman

Note- this was edited to removed the writers address, phone number and email.

Last edited by a moderator:

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I am not clear in what happened. Did this person tell you to cash the check and send them money back?And you did it?

This sounds like the classic Nigerian scam. Unfortunately if you cashed the check, you are responsible for all that money. Unless the police can arrest the person who did this to you and get the money back, you are responsible for the cash.

If this is what happened- there isn’t anything we can do for you I’m sorry to say. If it seems too good to be true it usually is. I wish you would have found us to ask if this was a scam before you deposited the check - we would have told you this was a scam.

Feb 13, 2019
It was check, buy some gift cards. Have the receipts and pictures of the cards. I know you are saying nothing can be done, but I have to try. My livelihood

Mar 17, 2015
You may try to see if there is a victim compensation fund in your state, however, some states limit it to only those who have been physically harmed. I am not sure what other recourse you have, have you tried asking the bank to let you make payments? You may want to write to manager and move up to the president of the bank.

Feb 13, 2019
You may try to see if there is a victim compensation fund in your state, however, some states limit it to only those who have been physically harmed. I am not sure what other recourse you have, have you tried asking the bank to let you make payments? You may want to write to manager and move up to the president of the bank.
I have been looking into this. I am trying to get replies

Mar 15, 2018
Sadly, there is pretty much nothing that can be done. I'm sorry to have to tell you that your money is gone and not retrievable.

This is a classic, well-known, time-worn scam. Criminals (often in Nigeria or other West African countries) send fake checks to vulnerable people, asking them to be "secret shoppers". Banks are required by US law to make funds from any deposited check available within 3 business days, whether the check is good or not. But given that these fake checks are usually drawn on foreign banks, it can take far longer than that (sometimes weeks) before they are found to be fake. So you withdraw the funds from your account, buy gift cards and send the numbers to the scammers, who then quickly use the funds on the cards and disappear before your bank bounces the check.

Your bank will not reimburse you. You deposited a fake check that has no funds behind it. It's not their fault.

It's a very hard lesson to learn, but the ultimate lesson is: if it sounds to good to be true, it probably is. Nobody hires "secret shoppers" site-unseen off the internet.

Sorry to hear you got scammed. It's an expensive lesson for sure.

Note: Edited by moderator to remove link to outside source.

Sep 27, 2017
It's a complete shot-in-the-dark, but look for the Wells Fargo bank corporate addresses in the 'Company Contacts' section of this site. Ask if you can work out a payment plan with them. If you have disability checks coming in regularly and if they are direct deposited, then they know that money is coming in. It is a complete crapshoot, and I wouldn't hold my breath, but it is a shot, nonetheless. If you explain your situation briefly but clearly, admit that the situation is your fault and you're asking for a bit of sympathy, and if you get a sympathetic rep, you have a ::small:: shot of them working out something with you. (Or could you just make a small loan with them for the amount?)