Macy's

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 20, 2015
Hi, I appreciate the sentiment behind Macy's Santa Project commercial. The problem is that it's rather advanced conceptually. Smartphones, Google, and hashtags. Unfortunately, my three year old doesn't really get that stuff. All she heard, first during the Thanksgiving Day parade, then today during the Fox football telecast, is Santa's not real. She looked at me, eyes wide, and asked, "Santa's not real Daddy?"

I had to use some quick thinking, but what is Macy's thinking in the first place? I searched Twitter, and I'm not even close to the only angry parent. Disney doesn't have this problem during their parades on ABC. What is wrong with Macy's?

I was quite angry and went on a Twitter rant, which I know Mr. Elliott doesn't recommend. I told them that Santa's more real than their fake "sales." They're not responding to any of the complaints on Twitter by anyone, even if they're more polite than my initial reaction was.

I know that this isn't strictly consumer advocacy, but doesn't Macy's have a certain responsibility to parents with little ones? They do the #believe thing at the end, but how does one explain that to a three year old? I'm not really sure what to do here.

Thanks for any help you folks can provide.

Jeff

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I would think that the first mention of 'no Santa' would have you turning off the television.

However, you are right to raise a fuss, I hope someone at Macy's is paying attention. It's cruel to tell little kids that there's no Santa. I realize that Macy's commercials are meant to sell more goods, but they should not be offensive while doing so.

Mar 20, 2015
Well, see for yourself:

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/AxpV/macys-santa-project

In terms of turning off the TV, it's not like any other company is this obtuse. We don't watch much regular TV. I had the game on quietly and commercials tend to be louder than anything else. So she picked it up. It didn't take much deduction on her part. She just repeated what she had heard twice in a 30 second spot.

I also don't think I should have to turn the TV off because of department store ads. Those are the last ones you think will be bad. We were having a nice quiet afternoon with the game on quietly and we were putting up the Christmas tree and doing some chores around the house.

In fairness, I don't think this was malicious by Macy's. I just don't think they put much thought into the three year old set, which shame on them, especially since it originally ran during the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade.

That being said, I think they should yank the ad.

Apr 26, 2016
Neil ... here are some possible names for your researchers to review:

Macy's has chosen ad agencies Figliulo & Partners and BBH New York to take over its holiday creative this year, replacing J. Walter Thompson after a review.

Macy's has chosen Richard Lennox as its new chief marketing officer, succeeding 32-year company veteran Martine Reardon, who left in May.

Macy's named 33-year company veteran Jeff Gennette to be CEO when Terry Lundgren retires in 2017.

Michelle Friedman

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Sep 19, 2015
I encourage everyone to watch the video, before commenting on it. The project is part of the annual Macy's Believe project in partnership with Make a Wish.

It, in no way tells children there is no Santa. It actually is a campaign to flood the internet with positive stories of Santa. They are suggesting to post pictures, videos, tweets, etc and hash tag #SantaProject. So that when a child types "Is Santa Real" or something like that, they encounter a magnitude of stories of belief. Thousands of people have already hash tagged #SantaProject

Last edited:

Carol Phillips

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 28, 2014
Coastal South Carolina
@MichelleLovesTraveling beat me to it. The :30 spot indeed is intended to bring about the feeling of "Believe" regarding Santa and the spirit of Christmas.

However, it's aimed at adults.

Basic marketing tenets hold that like attracts like ... if you're a child you'll pay more attention to a commercial featuring a child. And kids have selective hearing: although the message of "there is no Santa" is not posed as a fact, that's what the three year old heard ... a section of one sentence.

I think Macy's would have done better with a positive ad; people saying how they DO believe in Santa (rather than the negative "people are saying there is no Santa").

Current CEO Terry Lundgren's email is
terry.lundgren@macys.com

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I love this commercial and it in no way days there is no Santa and it is actually asking parents to keep it alive. I think I would have asked my 3 year old "Do you think there is a Santa" and simply threw it back in her court. When she says yes, my response would have been
"Well there you have it!"

But our original letter writer now has the email to the Chairman - I would certainly write and express your thoughts. They didn't think of this from the perspective of a 3 year old, thats for sure.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
Some of the parents tweets are really funny. One used a string of profanity to scold Macy's about exposing his child to this message and another complained that his child won't stop asking big questions and now he will have to spend time having conversations.

Mar 25, 2015
cali
I love this commercial and it in no way days there is no Santa and it is actually asking parents to keep it alive. I think I would have asked my 3 year old "Do you think there is a Santa" and simply threw it back in her court. When she says yes, my response would have been
"Well there you have it!"

But our original letter writer now has the email to the Chairman - I would certainly write and express your thoughts. They didn't think of this from the perspective of a 3 year old, thats for sure.
That seems to be the point of the video. All of the kids had been faces with peers who tell them Santa is not real but they choose to believe.