lyft false damage charge

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Nov 12, 2019
Hello I desperately need help.I was incorrectly charged a $100 damage fee by lyft and despite numerous emails to the help center and phone calls lyft wont refund me my money. Is there any one who has gone through this that can help me solve the problem?

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
If you used a credit card ( or they charged your card without your pre-knowledge) you should be able to file a dispute with the bank.
I’m pretty sure Lyft has language in their T&C that will cover this issue, but they need to work with you so that you can understand why they charged you $100.
BTW - I haven’t gone through this scenario but they need to communicate with you. Vendors who have access to your payment methods are not allowed to just willy-nilly charge your card.
Be prepared to be kicked out of their club.

Jan 6, 2015
the United States
You can appeal to Lyft using the contacts listed on this site

* IMPORTANT: when you reach out to the corporate level *
Do not use inflammatory language - be polite and professional
Do not attach files - their email system may discard your email before anyone reads it
Do not start with the CEO - begin at the lowest level in our company contacts shown here: https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/lyft/
Present a brief summary (list) and give each contact one (1) week to respond before escalating to the next level

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2019
When I had a false damage charge as a passenger, I replied immediately to the email from Lyft informing me of the charge with a specific and detailed account of my ride and my utter rejection of the idea that the relevant person in my party had damaged the car. It was either an attempt at "vomit fraud" or the driver misidentified which passenger group he was complaining about. I was able to be fairly specific as I had had an excellent view of the clean dashboard when I leaned in to thank the driver from outside the car. Lyft promptly indicated that they would not pursue the charge. Assuming you were a passenger, did you challenge the damage assessment via email as soon as you received it?

Nov 12, 2019
When I had a false damage charge as a passenger, I replied immediately to the email from Lyft informing me of the charge with a specific and detailed account of my ride and my utter rejection of the idea that the relevant person in my party had damaged the car. It was either an attempt at "vomit fraud" or the driver misidentified which passenger group he was complaining about. I was able to be fairly specific as I had had an excellent view of the clean dashboard when I leaned in to thank the driver from outside the car. Lyft promptly indicated that they would not pursue the charge. Assuming you were a passenger, did you challenge the damage assessment via email as soon as you received it?
yes i did i even sent pictures of the purse they said caused the damage

Jun 10, 2019
What do they claim happened? And how did you describe what happened? E.g. are they claiming something spilled, or the purse was wet and stained upholstery, or something like that? And did you respond that nothing at all happened or that whatever did happen didn't cause the damage they claim? How long ago was this? Were you given a request number, and did you use it when communicating? All of my communication with Lyft was in one email thread with them--I don't know if it complicates things to go through the help center and to call.

May 28, 2019
well they stated based on the evidence of the driver which were photos of the scratch but still that is not enough evidence to substantiate their claim.
You still haven’t given us a narrative of what happened.

What does Lyft say occurred? I gather that you have a purse/large bag that they are claiming scratched a driver’s car?

On the flip side, what do you say occurred?

Nov 12, 2019
Alright well to explain the situation more thoroughly, i picked up a cab at approx 6:10 am to go 10 minutes to a bus stop so I could get to work from that point on. It was 8.99 total for the ride. When I looked at my chase app it stated 108.99 was charged including a damage fee of 100.00. The cab driver stated my purse caused damage to his seat. At first I emailed the help desk which was no help because I kept telling them I have a coach bag whose surface is smooth all over and even sent them a picture of my bag. The zipper is even enclosed inside. They kept telling me the driver said it was me. I even told them on the phone that I have video recording from my job showing me entering the facility with the same purse. They finally sent me the pics the driver had but again that doesnt prove I did it. I just believe he wanted to target someone for the damage. I called chase on the phone but they said they couldn't do anything. How could the lyft company charge me that high amount after I showed them pics of my bag and I am a loyal customer??

Jul 30, 2018
You should write to our company contacts for Lyft. A few thoughts:

When you write, place all the facts in bullet point format. When you first posted you did not clearly state what had happened to you. The person reading your letter does not have time to decipher what happened and therefore you need to clearly state the facts.

Start with the first contact, wait a week before writing to the next one. If you write all of them simultaneously, chances are the emails will go to spam.

Refrain from stating extraneous information and opinions. Keep in mind the person reading your email did not cause your problem, yet is in position to help you.