luggage not returned from United Airlines

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jul 18, 2019
Any support we can get from you to get our luggage returned would be so helpful.

We arrived home from a holiday trip from Montreal to San Francisco (connecting flight through Denver) on July 7th. The flight from YUL to DEN was an Air Canada flight that was operated by a United plane. DEN to SFO flight was a United plane and flight. We were texted by UA when we landed at SFO that all/both pieces of luggage were delayed. We went to UA baggage claim. We filled out a lost claim form with them, were given a claim number: SFO82333M and reference numbers for each piece of luggage and told they should be shuttled to us within 3-12 hours.

The bags were not delivered. A UA phone customer service could give us no information beyond confirming the bags were delayed. We drove to SFO terminal 3 to speak to baggage desk agents. A supervisor explained that they did not know where the bags were (the bags were still designated "delayed"), but they had been last scanned at SFO carousel at 15:30 on sunday 7/7/19. She called SFPD who came and they took an incident report. Both supervisor and SFPD explained that a delayed bag claim was next step. And the supervisor said that once the claim was submitted she could no longer help us and it was in the hands of UA to resolve with us.

When the UA update claim form on their site would not send, the supervisor apologized and got us a link, attachment claim form, and an email address to send it. We completed the itemized claim form on Wednesday July 9th, which asked for itemized list of missing items and their value. We have received no confirmation of receipt from United. We do not know if they are looking for the bags, if they are stolen, or what are next steps. This is Day 11 since being missing.

There are repeated customer service fails in person and by phone that we did not include here that have been terrible as well.

Jul 18, 2019
One piece of luggage has our name and address, the other does not. Thanks for this, will call the numbers you listed.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Any support we can get from you to get our luggage returned would be so helpful.

We arrived home from a holiday trip from Montreal to San Francisco (connecting flight through Denver) on July 7th. The flight from YUL to DEN was an Air Canada flight that was operated by a United plane. DEN to SFO flight was a United plane and flight. We were texted by UA when we landed at SFO that all/both pieces of luggage were delayed. We went to UA baggage claim. We filled out a lost claim form with them, were given a claim number: SFO82333M and reference numbers for each piece of luggage and told they should be shuttled to us within 3-12 hours.

The bags were not delivered. A UA phone customer service could give us no information beyond confirming the bags were delayed. We drove to SFO terminal 3 to speak to baggage desk agents. A supervisor explained that they did not know where the bags were (the bags were still designated "delayed"), but they had been last scanned at SFO carousel at 15:30 on sunday 7/7/19. She called SFPD who came and they took an incident report. Both supervisor and SFPD explained that a delayed bag claim was next step. And the supervisor said that once the claim was submitted she could no longer help us and it was in the hands of UA to resolve with us.

When the UA update claim form on their site would not send, the supervisor apologized and got us a link, attachment claim form, and an email address to send it. We completed the itemized claim form on Wednesday July 9th, which asked for itemized list of missing items and their value. We have received no confirmation of receipt from United. We do not know if they are looking for the bags, if they are stolen, or what are next steps. This is Day 11 since being missing.

There are repeated customer service fails in person and by phone that we did not include here that have been terrible as well.
Here are United contacts including United Airlines Baggage Claim and Lost and Found: https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/united-airlines/

You can escalate beyond SFO.

Unfortunately, someone may have taken your bags from the SFO carrousel, either by accident or intentionally. There is no security to prevent this. They no longer check baggage tags against ID when claiming luggage.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
The unmarked bag could go anywhere. It’s really important going forward you have tags on bags AND information inside the bag with identification. That bag can be anywhere and someone could have accidentally walked off with it

Jul 18, 2019
Here are United contacts including United Airlines Baggage Claim and Lost and Found: https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/united-airlines/

You can escalate beyond SFO.

Unfortunately, someone may have taken your bags from the SFO carrousel, either by accident or intentionally. There is no security to prevent this. They no longer check baggage tags against ID when claiming luggage.
I called the (800) 864-8331 number that is on your site, thank you. I was told that tracing " is still in process" I told him we heard that same status BEFORE we sent the claim form on July 9th (the form is called Customer Property Claim Form.) He me sent me to to complete a "customer care" form online. United.com/feedback. I did this.

He said "I will try to extend my limitations" and he connected my call to "baggage department" to "find out when the tracing would end." This new customer service person said they don't know the status, that the claims department will take 6-8 weeks to respond, and it is a different department than his (baggage dept).

I told him again: I submitted the claim form on the 9th, and now I need 1)confirmation that someone has the claim form look 2) whether there is a search for the bag and 2) I need the steps to replace needed items that are in the bag. He said to collect the receipts of what I buy and send them to the claims department, and they will "likely but can't guarantee it" cover the costs. I said "you want me to send in an additional claim form for the things I buy now?" He said yes.

I cannot understand this process and status situation.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
I called the (800) 864-8331 number that is on your site, thank you. I was told that tracing " is still in process" I told him we heard that same status BEFORE we sent the claim form on July 9th (the form is called Customer Property Claim Form.) He me sent me to to complete a "customer care" form online. United.com/feedback. I did this.

He said "I will try to extend my limitations" and he connected my call to "baggage department" to "find out when the tracing would end." This new customer service person said they don't know the status, that the claims department will take 6-8 weeks to respond, and it is a different department than his (baggage dept).

I told him again: I submitted the claim form on the 9th, and now I need 1)confirmation that someone has the claim form look 2) whether there is a search for the bag and 2) I need the steps to replace needed items that are in the bag. He said to collect the receipts of what I buy and send them to the claims department, and they will "likely but can't guarantee it" cover the costs. I said "you want me to send in an additional claim form for the things I buy now?" He said yes.

I cannot understand this process and status situation.
Generally, you will have to wait 21 days for the bag to be declared "lost".

United will limit the amount that they will pay. They will not pay for the cost of the lost items, but the depreciated cost. Keep that in mind when purchasing replacements.
From UA site: "If the value of your lost bag and its contents is more than $1,500, you may document and claim higher amounts up to the DOT required maximum of $3,500 per traveler for flights with the U.S., and applicable maximum for international flights. "

Jun 24, 2019
I'm puzzled. If the bags were scanned at the SFO carousel then they are not floating around somewhere in United's system.

Keep in mind that you may have coverage for lost luggage from (1) trip insurance, (2) the credit card you used to buy the airplane ticket, and (3) homeowner's insurance. This is not a windfall, and they will have rules as to who is primary (United, in this instance) and then the order the others go. The credit card coverage may have a 60 day deadline.

Jul 18, 2019

United will limit the amount that they will pay. They will not pay for the cost of the lost items, but the depreciated cost. Keep that in mind when purchasing replacements.
From UA site: "If the value of your lost bag and its contents is more than $1,500, you may document and claim higher amounts up to the DOT required maximum of $3,500 per traveler for flights with the U.S., and applicable maximum for international flights. "

Thanks. Yes I saw on the site the following was there under "Delayed Baggage"
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/travel/baggage/delayed.aspx
For bags still lost after three days
If we're unable to find your bag after three days, we'll pay you $1,500 for the value of the bag and its contents without requiring any documentation. We'll also reimburse you for the amount you paid to check the bag.

If the value of your lost bag and its contents is more than $1,500, you may document and claim higher amounts up to the DOT required maximum of $3,500 per traveler for flights with the U.S., and applicable maximum for international flights. To do so, please use the link below.
----------------

That link they are talking about was the Claim form they had me complete last week, so it's done already.

I have hesitated to go this direction because I would most of all like them to get our actual bags back to us. And I have held hope that they are together, (because one note they read us in the notes said they were both scanned at an SFO carousel at 15:30pm) stuck in a room or something - and they are just need someone to track it down. But should I change direction?

So my question is at this point should I write emails now that say they have lost my bags, it is beyond three days, and please provide me the value for each bag as stated in your site?

Jul 18, 2019
I'm puzzled. If the bags were scanned at the SFO carousel then they are not floating around somewhere in United's system.

Keep in mind that you may have coverage for lost luggage from (1) trip insurance, (2) the credit card you used to buy the airplane ticket, and (3) homeowner's insurance. This is not a windfall, and they will have rules as to who is primary (United, in this instance) and then the order the others go. The credit card coverage may have a 60 day deadline.
Yes,I checked my credit card, no luggage coverage, renters insurance said you need to work with United First.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Thanks. Yes I saw on the site the following was there under "Delayed Baggage"
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/travel/baggage/delayed.aspx
For bags still lost after three days
If we're unable to find your bag after three days, we'll pay you $1,500 for the value of the bag and its contents without requiring any documentation. We'll also reimburse you for the amount you paid to check the bag.

If the value of your lost bag and its contents is more than $1,500, you may document and claim higher amounts up to the DOT required maximum of $3,500 per traveler for flights with the U.S., and applicable maximum for international flights. To do so, please use the link below.
----------------

That link they are talking about was the Claim form they had me complete last week, so it's done already.

I have hesitated to go this direction because I would most of all like them to get our actual bags back to us. And I have held hope that they are together, (because one note they read us in the notes said they were both scanned at an SFO carousel at 15:30pm) stuck in a room or something - and they are just need someone to track it down. But should I change direction?

So my question is at this point should I write emails now that say they have lost my bags, it is beyond three days, and please provide me the value for each bag as stated in your site?
I would purchase anything that you absolutely need for work, etc, hold off on other nonessential purchases, and give them more time. The bags may turn up in some strange place. Once you have passed the 21 (or 30) day mark, you can make a claim for all contents up to their liability limit.

Jul 18, 2019
The unmarked bag could go anywhere. It’s really important going forward you have tags on bags AND information inside the bag with identification. That bag can be anywhere and someone could have accidentally walked off with it
Good news is that my family just confirmed that both bags are labeled with name & address tags. I hope they will emerge from some strange place!

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
FOR OUR OTHER READERS: On the top outside pocket of your bag, print your destination and contact numbers on paper at least 8.5x5. Then, insert your itinerary on a full page inside your suitcase. Put it right on top of everything so it's the first thing someone sees if they open the bag. Only once has it happened, but I've never forgotten it. All the tags had been torn off my bag when it landed in Rome. The only thing that saved me was all the info on the inside of the bag, and the kind soul who opened it at the airport.

Jul 18, 2019
Start writing writing using our email addresses - email works better then the phone. Luggage is considered lost after 30 days(I believe) so you’ll have to be patient.

Here is how to escalate :
https://forum.elliott.org/threads/resolving-consumer-complaints-and-developing-a-paper-trail.8903/
Hello Neil, can you confirm what email address I should use from you when I write to United?

A summary, we received our first email response today. It appears UA contacted us because the US Dept of Transportation asked them to address the Air Travel Complaint form I did on July 8th. The email said they are sending a check for $1500, and asked us to go to the claim form page on their site and complete a form if value of baggage it is more than this amount.

It seems clear they have NOT reviewed our claim form sent 7/9 which did itemize more than 1500; has not clarified whether $1500 is their compensation for BOTH bags (From the UA site, it is supposed to be 1500 per piece lost); and did not state they will recoup the cost we paid for checking the bags in (that the UA site says they reimburse with lost luggage).

My plan now is to send them an email with a list of what we have done since July 7, resend the claim form, and if you have any other guidance what to include, that would be great. Thanks very much!

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If you’ve written to the DOT and UA contacted you and gave you instructions on how to complete the form on the site to apply for the value over $1500- just do it.

I am fairly sure they did read your DOT complaint and have you instructions on how to file for the overage. Just fill out the form. Once you file a DOT complaint, the airline will only desk with you through the DOT so the report is properly documented.