Lufthansa original routing credit on United Mileage plus account

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 28, 2019
Hi all,

Last summer we (Family, party of 3) booked flights AMS-FRA-SEA and SFO-ZHR-AMS for our family on Lufthansa and Swiss. On this booking we had registered our United Mileage plus numbers recorded, in order to get (through Star Alliance) the miles flown on our Mileage plus (where we collect our precious miles). Due to operation issues at AMS Lufthansa rebooked us on a delta airlines, for the flight to SEA, which was a great service from Lufthansa customer service.

However, when trying to obtain original routing mileage credit for the flight from AMS to SEA that we were rebooked on Delta, it seems *impossible* to get these miles credited to our mileage plus accounts.

I tried to contact Lufthansa, who directed me to their miles and more program contacts. In order to contact them (miles and more, the lufthansa loyalty program) I entered my lufthansa credentials, (otherwise I could not reach them by webform, no e-mail adres given on their site) which the system then created a miles and more account for me (which I did not want, as I have my miles on United).

Anyways, after 6 messages back and forth, miles and more have issued original routing credit on my miles and more (ie. Lufthansa) account, and NOT to United Mileage plus. They refuse to move the miles to Mileage plus, while my mileage plus number was clearly stated on the initial booking and I have clearly stated thet I want to receive miles on Mileage plus, not miles and more.

As for my other 2 family members, also in the possession of United Mileage plus accounts, Lufthansa states that they cannot grant any miles as original routing credit for the rebooked flights until they have also miles and more accounts.

I / we do not regularly fly Lufthansa, and have a considerable amount of United Mileage plus miles, and have on earlier occasions without problems Lufthansa-flown flights credit obtained on mileage plus (as we had on this occasion with the flights SFO-ZHR-AMS flown on swiss).

I have contacted the telephone support for Lufthansa miles and more about 5 times on this issue as well, and I cannot get them to resolve it.

I need some help / or contacts at Lufthansa / miles and more to get this resolved. How to act / Who to I contact now after not getting anywhere with customer service ?
Maybe you can help here. Flight details / tickets and boarding passes can be obtained though DM.

Thanks so much
Rudi

Sep 19, 2015
I am perplexed as to why you contacted miles and more -- and did not write to UA Mileage Plus Service Center to get the miles to mileage plus?

You want UA miles you needed to have contacted UA -- not LH. And why did you create a Miles and More account? You should not have been in contact with LH at all but gone to UA.

You need to write to the UA Mileage Plus Service Center -- I am not sure what can be done about posting the miles to a newly created LH program number.

Sep 19, 2015
I'm not sure I follow this either. If a pax is rerouted on Delta, he cannot earn miles on United. Is there something I am missing?
JSN55 it was an involuntary reroute -- that has happened with me when one airport was having heavy storms so Lufthansa rerouted me on Air France. This only works on an involuntary reroute. I emailed the info to United Mileage Plus and I got credit for the original flight.

Sep 28, 2019
Thanks all,

Actually i did contact the United miles plus service center in the first place. They said that i had to contact Lufthansa to obtain original routing credit for this involuntary reroute. This was the first step in this Saga, sorry i did not mention it.

rudi

Sep 19, 2015
Thanks all,

Actually i did contact the United miles plus service center in the first place. They said that i had to contact Lufthansa to obtain original routing credit for this involuntary reroute. This was the first step in this Saga, sorry i did not mention it.

rudi
Someone gave you bad advice. I have been rerouted from cancellations— LUfthansa canceled and put on Air France, Swiss cancellation and put on Alitalia. Both times I contacted UA Mileage Plus and sent the info on my original ticket, my boarding pass for the rerouted flight, and never did I contact Lufthansa or Swiss miles and more.

You should write to the UA contacts in the manner advised (start at the lowest contact and wait before the next) and specify original routing credit for involuntary rereoute.

Mar 18, 2019
Regardless of which airline needs to actually do the leg work, I agree that I would write to United's executive contacts. The executive contacts will have more flexibility to reach out to Lufthansa to work it out on your behalf if the credit needs to be physically done by Lufthansa, and United is the airline that you have shown your loyalty to by being a loyal MileagePlus member...

I would recommend that you leave out the return details if you did not have a problem on that segment, since it only serves to lengthen your e-mail without describing your problem.

Something like this would probably work (and some others here might have further suggestions):

============

Good Morning,

On DD MMM YY, two family members and I were booked to fly Lufthansa AMS-FRA-SEA. Due to operational issues, we were involuntarily routed on Delta AMS-XXX-SEA. As this reroute was involuntary rather than by choice, I was hoping you could assist in obtaining original routing credit for the miles we would have earned on our original routing.

I tried contacting United customer service (by phone/email, etc) and was directed to Lufthansa, but Lufthansa Miles and More cannot assist because I am a United MileagePlus member.

Our original ticket numbers and associated United MileagePlus numbers are: XXXXXX/220-1234567890, XXXXXX/220-1234567899, XXXXX/220-1234567898.

Thank you very much for your assistance!

//signed//

============

Send that to the first primary executive contact from https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/united-airlines/ . Give them a week to respond, and if they don't, add the contact's name to the list of people you tried to contact in the second paragraph and write to the next contact in line.

Good luck!

-- SR

Sep 19, 2015
I would mention in the letter the bad advice and the fact that the credit was given to Lufthansa miles and more in error.

The concern is my not mentioning that problem In the letter United may think the OP is trying to get credit twice — which he is not, he wants UA credit only and would be happy to have the miles credited to Lufthansa to be cancelled and posted to United.

Mar 18, 2019
I would mention in the letter the bad advice and the fact that the credit was given to Lufthansa miles and more in error.

The concern is my not mentioning that problem In the letter United may think the OP is trying to get credit twice — which he is not, he wants UA credit only and would be happy to have the miles credited to Lufthansa to be cancelled and posted to United.
Sorry, yes I agree I missed that detail in OP's write-up. Part of the reason to keep things brief so all the relevant details are immediately apparent. =)

Sep 28, 2019
I will be writing to United mileage plus once more, mentioning that the miles and more were credited in error.
will report on this thread.
thanks
rudi

Sep 28, 2019
No go, Response from United Mileage plus service center was:

Thanks for being one of our MileagePlus members.
I’m sorry, but we’re unable to process your request for mileage credit. Although your flight was marketed by Lufthansa, your flight was operated by Delta, which is an airline that is not a partner in the MileagePlus program.

This is very much like the answer that I got earlier with the suggestion to contact Lufthansa.
I now will contact one of the executive contacts listed on https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/united-airlines/.

Will keep you updated,
Rudi

Sep 19, 2015
No go, Response from United Mileage plus service center was:

Thanks for being one of our MileagePlus members.
I’m sorry, but we’re unable to process your request for mileage credit. Although your flight was marketed by Lufthansa, your flight was operated by Delta, which is an airline that is not a partner in the MileagePlus program.

This is very much like the answer that I got earlier with the suggestion to contact Lufthansa.
I now will contact one of the executive contacts listed on https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/united-airlines/.

Will keep you updated,
Rudi
Who actually issued the ticket?

Sep 19, 2015
Original Routing Credit is generally done by the program that gets the credit -- that would be United. Do they understand that this was an involuntary reroute and that you are asking for original routing credit?

Sep 28, 2019
Ticket was issued by LH. Ticket number started with 220 . ( however at booking i mentioned already my mileage plus numbers )

This was the second reply I got from mileage plus both stating the same that they cannot issue credit on flights flown by non partner airlines. I used the text that was in this thread, so clearly stated that I was requesting original routing credit on involuntary reroute due to OPS.

( i mentioned that LH generated credit in error, to prevent them thinking i was double-dipping )

rudi

Sep 19, 2015
Ticket was issued by LH. Ticket number started with 220 . ( however at booking i mentioned already my mileage plus numbers )

This was the second reply I got from mileage plus both stating the same that they cannot issue credit on flights flown by non partner airlines. I used the text that was in this thread, so clearly stated that I was requesting original routing credit on involuntary reroute due to OPS.

( i mentioned that LH generated credit in error, to prevent them thinking i was double-dipping )

rudi
Sometimes I wonder if these responses are done by bots. Did you send the request to the mileageplus email or through the website?

Sep 19, 2015

rudi
Rudi

I just went back to my archived emails:

This is what I wrote to UA in a similar situation -- a LH issued ticket just like you, but I was rerouted onto Air France:

I would like to receive credit for a ticket I purchased on Lufthansa. I was involuntarily rerouted on a flight from CDG - FRA- JFK on XXX. Lufthansa endorsed the ticket to Air France and paid for a hotel at CDG. I flew on Air France on the 1st of April; the line to get rebooked was so long, that I missed the last Air France flight to New York City on the 31st.

Attached please find the Lufthansa receipts and boarding pass for Air France, as well as a screen shot of my Lufthansa online booking.

The Lufthansa ticket number was 220 XXXXX.

Please credit the miles to my account XXXXX.

I attached the receipts from LH that showed that they endorsed the ticket to Air France and a copy of my Air France boarding pass.

I should have used the term Original Routing Credit -- now I know -- but I had no problem in getting the miles.

My rerouting was caused by weather in FRA.

Sep 28, 2019
First mail, referring me to LH was sent through website, second one through ordinary E-mail, which showed a turn-around time of less than 24 hours.
we’ll see what the email to the executive will result in.
really appreciatiate all your help
r.

Sep 19, 2015
First mail, referring me to LH was sent through website, second one through ordinary E-mail, which showed a turn-around time of less than 24 hours.
we’ll see what the email to the executive will result in.
really appreciatiate all your help
r.
Rudi it should not be so complicated, having done the same thing in the past under similar circumstances.

Please let us know what sort of response you receive and hoping for a positive resolution.

Sep 28, 2019
OK, got mail back from the executive level: no resolution. But they credited 2,500 on each of the three pax' accounts as goodwill:

"Upon review of your tickets I do see that all flights were with Lufthansa, therefore United does not have any control of how the miles are credited, especially since Lufthansa had those miles credited to the Miles and More Accounts they created for each of you."

Which was not true, I send a followup on that LH just had made an account for just me, not the other two passengers, and credited just me.

"As the flights were not booked with United or any flights were scheduled with us we are unable to offer any credit for the flights that were taken. However, as a gesture of goodwill I have issued each of your accounts with 2,500 goodwill miles. The additional miles should post to your accounts within the next few days."

So, no resolution, LH is not going to do anything, and UA gave each of us 2.500 miles.
I hate to do this, but I think I'm not going to escalate more, as it is probably a low probability for correct resolution. Any other suggestions ?

Thanks for all the hints and good advice. I second that it should not be complicated, but I think I have hit some bad vibes here :-( :-(

Rudi