Lufthansa code share seat assignment question

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 17, 2017
I have flights booked through Lufthansa that have the return legs operated by Swiss Air. I went on Lufthansa’s website and paid for my seat selection for the outgoing flights. It says the return flights with Swiss Air do not have seat selection available. I tried logging onto Swiss Air directly but it can’t find my flight using my reservation number.

My question - since I just booked today through Lufthansa will it take some time for this flight to show up on Swiss Air’s website?

Or does this mean it’s a code share flight so I won’t be able to reserve seats since Swiss Air doesn’t allow seat selection for code shares?

These are not the flights I would have selected but I am part of a group and had to go with what the group wanted. In this situation, is there any possible way to get to choose my seats for the Swiss Air part? I really dislike flying and we are both very tall people so seat selection with extra legroom and near front of plane is a must for me. Additionally, this is a VERY LONG FLIGHT so the thought of not knowing where I will sit is making me a bit (a LOT) nutty.

Thanks.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Sweetiebeak, I know exactly how you feel. Waiting until the date of travel would make me crazy too. VoR is correct, but occasionally you can get around rules. Call Lufthansa, get the Swiss confirmation code, and see if you can book and pay for seats online with Swiss.

If that doesn't work, call Swiss directly and plead your case. Know in advance which seats you want and what they cost. Charm the Swiss agent until your eyes roll back. If you get an agent who doesn't seem to care, politely excuse yourself and call back in ten minutes. If you get another 'no', wait a month and try again. It once took me 6 months to obtain seat assignments on Croatia Air ... so don't give up. If all fails, arrive at the airport as early as possible and start all over again. If Swiss has its own VIP lounge, see if you can purchase a day pass. Occasionally the lounge agents can perform tricks that nobody else can manage. At least you're not connecting LH to Swiss which would give you no leeway on being early.
These are all pretty much long shots, so I would spend some time thinking up "things to do" on the flight. My favorite task is to edit photos in PhotoShop, that makes the hours fly by. Pick something that will absorb you. Believe me, I KNOW how you are dreading a middle seat in row 47.

Jan 6, 2015
Depending on the length of your stay, you can avoid the seat selection issue by purchasing two one-way tickets. The risk in doing so is that if you wish/need to make changes the cost for those changes will double. But since it's no longer a codeshare, you could then select seats . . .

Mar 17, 2017
Thanks jsn55 for the commiseration and the reply! I figured I might be out of luck but I was hoping for an insider trick. I will try all of your suggestions! I may not be known for my charm but I can be very persistent! I’ll keep trying and hope for the best.

Sep 19, 2015
Thanks jsn55 for the commiseration and the reply! I figured I might be out of luck but I was hoping for an insider trick. I will try all of your suggestions! I may not be known for my charm but I can be very persistent! I’ll keep trying and hope for the best.
Have you called Swiss? The confirmation for Lufthansa and Swiss are the same.

What are the flight numbers -- are they LH or LX flight numbers?

Swiss and Lufthansa are very rules oriented so they are often very consistent.

I have the opposite -- a Swiss ticket with some flights on Lufthansa -- I am able to pull up my reservation on both sites with the confirmation number,

I booked directly with Swiss -- but this is an inter European itinerary.

Mar 17, 2017
I have both LH and LX flight numbers and my flight is going to Africa. I don’t know why the confirmation number doesn’t work on the Swiss Air site but I did call both airlines this morning. Both were very friendly and helpful. The Swiss Air agent could pull up my reservation even though I can’t see it online. I had the seat maps up and already knew which seats I wanted and for how much, as suggested, and she was willing to help me.

I’m so relieved, thanks again for the help!

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I have both LH and LX flight numbers and my flight is going to Africa. I don’t know why the confirmation number doesn’t work on the Swiss Air site but I did call both airlines this morning. Both were very friendly and helpful. The Swiss Air agent could pull up my reservation even though I can’t see it online. I had the seat maps up and already knew which seats I wanted and for how much, as suggested, and she was willing to help me.

Seriously? It took ONE CALL??? I am beyond thrilled. You must be far more charming than you realize! Great work.

Sep 19, 2015

I am glad that it only took one phone call. I have noticed that Swiss has a different way of processing my name -- so my middle name is smashed into my first name and if I do not write my name that exact way I cannot pull up my itinerary. Other airlines have enough characters so as to allow a space between first and middle.

You were prepared and ready to pay for the seat assignments and I do think you attitude and preparation helped.

Hope you have a wonderful trip.