LUFTHANSA BUSINESS - LOST LUGGAGE FOR ONE WEEK

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Aug 12, 2018
On August 7, 2018, I traveled on Flight LH432 from Frankfurt, Germany to Chicago (ORD). When I reached the baggage claim area, I discovered, (after an hour wait), that all of my baggages were lost. I immediately contacted the baggage claim representative, who assured me that it would be on the next plane.

I immediately filed a claim at the Lufthansa desk, then started to wait. As a business-class passenger, I thought that my bags were secure in your possession and would be returned to me.
Since Tuesday night, I have made at least 50 domestic and international calls to the Lufthansa baggage help desk, Lufthansa customer service team and the Lufthansa baggage desk at O’Hare International Airport. The Lufthansa customer service team and Lufthansa desk at O’Hare have never answered their phones. I have left countless voicemails. Most of my calls were NOT returned.

When someone finally returned my call, this person could not give me one piece of information . Their simple response is that they have no idea why my bags have not been delivered yet and based on their tracking information on their computers, they have no idea where they are. They kept insisting that they were not responsible and to keep calling the O'Hare & Frankfurt Airports, who also said it was not their responsibility and keep calling the help desk.

I am missing items that cannot be replaced. My Rimowa luggage alone cost over $1,000 USD. The amount of designer clothes, handbags, shoes and jewelry that I have in my luggage that were to be safely returned to be cost over $10,000 USD. I wrote an email to the CEO and head of North America contact of Lufthansa and no-one responded.

I want my things found and returned!! If they can not be found, I request compensation for all my loses. It's been 6 days and no communication from Lufthansa!

Sep 19, 2015
It is a pain to have luggage delayed. Is the US your home? If you are visiting the US the airlines will reimburse for some expenses, if US is home then no reimbursements.

I take it the online baggage tracer is not giving you any info on where the luggage is.

I notice that you claim it has been a week, but if you left on the 7th, it is 6 days. It was premature to write to the CEO. And as it is a Monday it is likely the the contacts were not working on the weekend.

Luggage is usually declared lost after 21 days, so it is not the time to be reimbursed for the luggage.
Additionally there is a cap on liability for international luggage at around US 1,200.

You may have to wait for the LH contact to respond, one generally gives one week for them to respond.

When my bag was delayed on LH I did keep calling the 800 number and asked for them to contact the baggage people, some would help and some would not. I just would hang up call again it is frustrating.

It is so frustrating to try and reach someone at the airlines. I know baggage gets lost and thankfully mine eventually returned .

The big security lapse at the FRA airport also messed up a lot of passengers and luggage and LH is still cleaning up that mess — wasn’t that the same day as your flight?

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2018
Hi Christina,

My bag is still lost now for 8 days. When I finally got a hold of people in Frankfurt, Germany they told me that my one piece of luggage that is missing was supposed to be delivered with my boyfriend's luggage, which we received 3 days later. Frankfurt said it was in the same baggage cart as the other luggage. However, the personnel at Chicago O'Hare told us they never received that bag and it never made it to Chicago. This all sounds very fishy and it sounds like someone has stollen my luggage. I recently received contact from Lufthansa Customer Service (finally) saying that I would have to wait 100 days for any type of reimbursement just in case they find my bag -- that is completely unacceptable.

Sep 19, 2015
This would annoy me. Do you think it is Chicago and Chicago is not looking hard? Was the luggage ever scanned as arriving in Chicago?

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
If your luggage and contents were that valuable, I'm afraid that the bag was stolen. The sheer numbers of mis-handled bags are daunting. I do think that your communications with the airline are a little harsh and the person reading them may not be inclined to make your loss a priority. I'd try approaching the airline to request assistance very politely and expressing appreciation for anything they can do for you. I'm so sorry this happened to you.