Lower cost for RCC cruise

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 8, 2015
Mr Elliott,

We are a group of neighbors and friends who take a cruise on Royal Caribbean every other year. This has been happening since 1999. We normally have 8 to 12 couples, the largest group was 18 couples. So most of us have earned our stripes in the Royal Caribbean Crown & Anchor Society, from Diamonds, to Emeralds, to Platinum.

We booked a cruise on April 20, 2014 that is leaving New Orleans and 13 nights later arrives in Boston, our home town. One couple had booked a Junior Suite and the rest booked Deluxe Ocean View staterooms with a Balcony.

The couple who booked the Suite decided to change to a similar cabin as the rest of the group. Most of us have class E1 and they are now E2, which is very similar in appearance and cost.

Now for the bad part, their rate is $1150 less than the rest of the group.

I have spent hours on the phone with Royal Caribbean getting no satisfaction. Their response is that they got the rate that was listed for the day they made the change. I tried to stress the point that we are loyal repeat RCC customers who are not happy with this situation.

We are paying $3678 per cabin of two and they have a rate of $2528.

I tried to stress the point that the group would be happy with a $500 - $600 reduction to what we are paying, but they did not entertain this nor offer any compensation to the rest of the group. We find this unfair and feel that Royal Caribbean is not showing any sort of appreciation to loyal customers.

Anything you could do would be appreciated. If you need more information please do not hesitate to call. I enjoy reading your articles in the Boston Globe and figured I would reach out to you to see if you could offer any guidance or assistance.

Thank you and Happy New Year,

Harold Lavoie
hjl1949@gmail.com

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Unless you happen to find a price difference if there is a sale and contact the cruise line at the time the price change is in effect (and before final payment is made) the cruise line will not honor a prior rate decrease. You have to request it when the sale is in effect. And once final payment has been made most cruise lines will not honor any further rate decreases.

Just as once you make a deposit on a cruise you aren't subject to future increases as price goes up, it works the same way. Unless you find a current lower price and call for the reduction, they won't offer it retroactively.

A few questions though. Are you all booked together as a group or did you all book individually? Are all reservations linked together? Did you try calling your travel agent for help? When did this couple tell you that their rate was lower than yours? There are probably hundreds of people that booked during a sale that are paying less than you did but had it not occurred when you friends changed their cabin you would never know.

When are you sailing? Royal had a Buy one, get one half off sale for almost the last 2 months of the year. If you still have time to go before your final payment date, you can keep an eye on future sales and if you find one that will give you a lower price call Royal right away. Did your friends realize when they changed their cabin that they paid less than you ?

I would call again and ask for a supervisor and ask if they can offer some type of an onboard credit as a courtesy. But keep an eye on pricing because if they do have another sale that would bring the price to a lower amount than you paid, call right away.

Chris has also posted phone numbers and email for higher ups at Royal,you can try going further up the ladder with these contacts. They are located on the first page here in the forum.

Let us know when your final payment is due, I'd be happy to make a post here if RCCL offers another sale so you can call right away.

Sep 22, 2014
Most of the cruise lines use the airline load factor pricing system to price the various types of cabins on any given day. The prices are originally loaded into the computer, 18-24 months before sailing, based upon cabin size, and number and desirability of each cabin in catagory. The prices fluctuate based upon the number of cabin sold (and available) in catagory. Over the course of many months, some people cancel bookings, others move up in catagory and others (like your friends) move down in catagory. These price fluctuations are further compounded by temporary Promo price reductions that can be based any number of extreneous issues (age, occupation, residency, tiem of year, etc.). That's why seasoned cruisers book cruises they remotely think they may take 18 months ahead of sailing (when initial prices are usually lowest because of huge inventory.) Then they hawk the price fluctuations every day for months looking for price drops or special promos and rebook to get the lower price. The airlines avoid this constant ebb and flow of booking and rebooking by charging rebooking fees which the cruise lines (so far) do not do.

John

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2014
Mr Elliott,

We are a group of neighbors and friends who take a cruise on Royal Caribbean every other year. This has been happening since 1999. We normally have 8 to 12 couples, the largest group was 18 couples. So most of us have earned our stripes in the Royal Caribbean Crown & Anchor Society, from Diamonds, to Emeralds, to Platinum.

We booked a cruise on April 20, 2014 that is leaving New Orleans and 13 nights later arrives in Boston, our home town. One couple had booked a Junior Suite and the rest booked Deluxe Ocean View staterooms with a Balcony.

The couple who booked the Suite decided to change to a similar cabin as the rest of the group. Most of us have class E1 and they are now E2, which is very similar in appearance and cost.

Now for the bad part, their rate is $1150 less than the rest of the group.

I have spent hours on the phone with Royal Caribbean getting no satisfaction. Their response is that they got the rate that was listed for the day they made the change. I tried to stress the point that we are loyal repeat RCC customers who are not happy with this situation.

We are paying $3678 per cabin of two and they have a rate of $2528.

I tried to stress the point that the group would be happy with a $500 - $600 reduction to what we are paying, but they did not entertain this nor offer any compensation to the rest of the group. We find this unfair and feel that Royal Caribbean is not showing any sort of appreciation to loyal customers.

Anything you could do would be appreciated. If you need more information please do not hesitate to call. I enjoy reading your articles in the Boston Globe and figured I would reach out to you to see if you could offer any guidance or assistance.

Thank you and Happy New Year,

Harold Lavoie
hjl1949@gmail.com

Dec 28, 2014
Harold, I have booked many cruises that my travel agent has re-booked (on RCCL) in order to get a better price. Are you trying to do this on your own? I can see where this would be a problem. It is always better to have a travel agent who knows how to do the manipulations involved. If you need one, reply back and I'll give you info for the best travel agent in the world! She re-booked our upcoming Alaska cruise on Celebrity to get a better price, then re-booked again to take advantage of a free drinks promotion they were offering.

Sep 7, 2014
Excellent advice regarding rebooking. At this point if you will not incur $ penalties, I would try to rebook with a cruise agent who specializes in travel. They will charge a small fee but the best have leverage with the cruise lines. Next time you should
book as a group. Some cruise lines have discounts and you don't need too many cabins to qualify.

Sep 22, 2014
Carol Prygo & Michelle Winner

Ladies,

I must respetfully disagree with you. I never use a Travel Agent and have had the good fortune to travel first class for 2 - 3 months out of the year. I readily admit, I spend several hours a day looking for new deals and looking for new re-deals of existing bookings. No Travel Agent would have the time to provide me the same level of service I do for myself.

Like everything else, one size does not fit all. Folks who don't have time and research skills necessary for such self help are better using a Travel Agent. But, that is not a truism for every one.

John

Sep 22, 2014
McNeal, it is what I have done for clients for decades.
I'm better at booking my own travel arangement for myself than any Travel Agent could do for me. That's not an opinion. That's a fact.

It's also a fact that many people don't have the time to devote for a proper DIY system.

As for my opinions, I hold that some people in all professions (inlcuding my own) allow their egos to develop such an overblown opinion of their self worth that they cross the line from reality to fantasy. LOL