Lounge issue

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jun 16, 2019
Bought a first class ticket but was told not allowed into first class lounge for domestic flights ... only international...,
That’s a bummer..... what gives American????
That’s part of the perk for buying a first class ticket....
Had to wait out my time in a terminal restaurant....

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Not on every airline. Their rules are on the website:

Qualifying First and Business
Includes customers in First or Business on a qualifying departing international or transcontinental flight marketed and operated by American or a oneworld® airline.*

Does it stink? Yes. But it’s not hidden information.

Sep 19, 2015
Bought a first class ticket but was told not allowed into first class lounge for domestic flights ... only international...,
That’s a bummer..... what gives American????
Had to wait out my time in a terminal restaurant....
That is the same with UA and Delta — Delta only with premium Delta One domestic gets lounge access and UA on the domestic PS service.

The airlines do this because the clubs have paying members.

Unfortunately this has not been a perk on the major 3 airlines for years —

Apr 10, 2017
They don't include lounge access on just any international first/business class ticket either. It's only for long haul.

May 30, 2019
If you purchase a FC ticket on a domestic airline for domestic travel, access to the FC lounge is not included (with some exceptions noted above for Alaska and for Delta long-haul flights).

May 1, 2018
I understand in other regions it's common to get lounge access with a short haul F seat, but that's not the case in the US. I can understand your outrage, but there's no recourse.

Aug 29, 2018
Sometimes it doesn't even apply for international flights -- I flew TAP from Lisbon to San Francisco via Boston in their fully refundable business class, with the domestic leg on Jet Blue. And that did not give access to the lounge despite it being an 8 hour layover.

Aug 29, 2018
Since credit cards began adding lounge access as a perk, the once-exclusive lounges are packed. That’s probably when even flying F does not get you into one today.
A likely reason -- but if you don't let your long-haul/long-layover first class passengers into your first class lounge, is it a first class lounge?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
A likely reason -- but if you don't let your long-haul/long-layover first class passengers into your first class lounge, is it a first class lounge?
They aren’t always called first class lounges anymore. They are more for their highest loyalty customers. And that doesn’t mean they are flying first class. Economy flyers that fly enough to get Medallion or similar status within an airlines loyalty program are who the lounges are really for. If you fly once in a blue moon in first class and aren’t a frequent flyer I don’t think they give a darn that you don’t have access to the lounge. Loyalty matters more.