Lost paper voucher

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 11, 2019
In January, I had gotten a $700 paper voucher (transportation voucher exchange coupon) for giving up a seat on a flight. I left the voucher with my mom who put it in a fire proof safe since I was heading to Italy and not back to my place. I visited her again recently and went to the safe and you can probably guess what happened. The voucher was not there and she had no recollection of the voucher even though she had put it there. I showed her a photo of it that I had on my phone and that triggered her memory of having cleaned out the safe recently. She lives in Texas and I live in Pennsylvania so I wasn't able to check up on the voucher any sooner.

I emailed American Airlines customer relations explaining the situation and asked if there was anything they could do since I have a photo of the original voucher. I got a response saying that it does not replace lost or stolen vouchers. I think I am out of luck since it was clearly my mistake so I am not expecting American to replace the voucher but thought I would check if anyone has ever run into this situation before with a better outcome. I don't know if it would make a difference but I have platinum pro status.

Thanks for reading!

Mar 15, 2018
Ouch. :(

Yes it does seem you are out of luck. I sympathize. Years ago, back when we had only paper airline tickets, I misplaced my tickets for a trip to Europe. I tore my bedroom APART looking for them! Couldn't find them. I ended up having to buy new tickets for quite a bit more than I originally paid, since it was so close to the trip.

Three years later, when moving to a new house, I found them - they'd dropped down behind a heavy armoire and were pinned to the wall. THAT was annoying. But at least the mystery was solved.

Barry Graham

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Jan 7, 2015
I'm surprised the voucher was paper. Does it have a number that you can see on it in the photo that looks like a ticket number? It could be it is electronic. Also I'm wondering if the voucher number might be listed under receipts or somewhere else in your advantage account. That's the case with Delta. Did you get an email with a voucher number?

Apr 3, 2016
Does the picture show enough detail to see the whole thing? If so, I would think you could still use it (unless there is info on the backside that you need). I doubt they intended for you to buy tickets in person to use it.

Apr 11, 2019
Does the picture show enough detail to see the whole thing? If so, I would think you could still use it (unless there is info on the backside that you need). I doubt they intended for you to buy tickets in person to use it.
The photo has all of the info including ticket number and a few other numbers. From the info that I've gathered, in order to use this you can either mail it in or take it in person to a ticket counter at the airport.

Apr 11, 2019
I'm surprised the voucher was paper. Does it have a number that you can see on it in the photo that looks like a ticket number? It could be it is electronic. Also I'm wondering if the voucher number might be listed under receipts or somewhere else in your advantage account. That's the case with Delta. Did you get an email with a voucher number?
It has a few different numbers including the ticket number but what is missing is a pin number which is what the electronic vouchers contain. I didn't get any kind of email nor does any info about this voucher show up when I log into my American Airlines Aadvantage account.

Jan 6, 2015
I may have found a workaround at: https://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/purchasing-and-refunds/fop-pol.html

1. Southwest LUV Vouchers are valid as a form of payment toward future air fare only on Southwest Airlines through Southwest.com, toll-free Reservations 1-800-I-FLY-SWA (1-800-435-9792), or at any Southwest Airlines Ticket Counter.

5. To redeem a Southwest LUV Voucher, purchaser must have a Southwest LUV Voucher number and associated security code. If a balance remains after redemption, please retain this Southwest LUV Voucher number and security code for future use.

Assuming these apply, if your photo shows the number and code, you should be able to use them for an online purchase.

Apr 11, 2019
Mom might say that she provided more than $700 of love and care over the OPs life so far!
I'm sure I've caused my parents a lot more than $700 in damages when I was a kid so I'm going to pretend that this never happened lol! Based on this and other things that my mom has done recently, I'm starting to suspect that she may have something like dementia.

While many people were warning me about pickpockets in Italy before I went on this trip, I've come to realize that my parent's place might be the most dangerous place to store any valuables lol!

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I would absolutely not give up, pcrr. Compose a polite letter (embed the photo, don't attach it) and send it off to Customer Service. Tell them you understand their policy but are "artfully begging" them for an exception. Be very appreciative. Tell them the details of how you got the voucher. Restate exactly what's on the photo of the voucher so they can read it easily, and offer to send the photo to them. Sometimes mail with attachments just gets discarded without being opened. Be specific about what trip you're going to take with the voucher. If no response or another "no", use our Company Contacts to work your way up the executive chain. This is a big amount, and I'd try everything possible.

Mar 23, 2015
I'm sure I've caused my parents a lot more than $700 in damages when I was a kid so I'm going to pretend that this never happened lol! Based on this and other things that my mom has done recently, I'm starting to suspect that she may have something like dementia.

While many people were warning me about pickpockets in Italy before I went on this trip, I've come to realize that my parent's place might be the most dangerous place to store any valuables lol!
You're taking the loss really well. Kudos on not getting angry and not ending up in Judge Judy's court!

Sep 19, 2015
I may have found a workaround at: https://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/purchasing-and-refunds/fop-pol.html

1. Southwest LUV Vouchers are valid as a form of payment toward future air fare only on Southwest Airlines through Southwest.com, toll-free Reservations 1-800-I-FLY-SWA (1-800-435-9792), or at any Southwest Airlines Ticket Counter.

5. To redeem a Southwest LUV Voucher, purchaser must have a Southwest LUV Voucher number and associated security code. If a balance remains after redemption, please retain this Southwest LUV Voucher number and security code for future use.

Assuming these apply, if your photo shows the number and code, you should be able to use them for an online purchase.

Would this work?
I think this was an American Airlines voucher, not Southwest, and they are much more “old school” when it comes to vouchers and redemptions

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 10, 2017
My husband was issued an AA paper voucher a couple of years ago. There was no electronic record of it and it didn't have a PIN. He was told it was like cash in that if it was lost there was no replacing it. When it came time to redeem it I was told the same thing as OP--that it had to be mailed to AA or used at a ticketing counter. We went to the local airport and bought tickets there for a future trip. I will add that the local airport is small and we went on a weekend afternoon when it wasn't at all busy. Since OP has a picture of the voucher and it clearly shows all the numbers I wonder if they could take this picture to an AA ticket counter and use it there. It would be worth trying.

Barry Graham

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Jan 7, 2015
@pcrr62d3 Sorry I hadn't see any responses for a while so I was wondering why you hadn't responded (that's what I meant by "where are you" but now I see that you did respond. My browser was showing this page before you replied when I wrote this question. My mistake. Anyway have you written to our contacts as was suggested?