Lost Luggage on Alitalia

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Aug 7, 2019
On July 27, my family and I traveled from Milan to Orly, Paris on Alitalia. I checked in luggage which was not at Orly airport upon my arrival in Paris. I filled out a form regarding lost/delayed luggage. Then on July 29 they called my hotel saying luggage was found. But I was traveling back to the united states, so they said they will send luggage back to my permanent address. On the world tracer there were multiple flight plans saying my luggage would be sent to boston. But when it didn’t arrive, I called Alitalia and they said my file is closed. Since then I have tried repeated to get my file reopened. I am told that since my file is closed, I therefore received my luggage but I did not. There is no delivery confirmation and multiple different flight plans on world tracer after the file is close to suggest they were trying to send it. I have called customer service everyday, multiple times a day and they have not helped me at all. I have been calling baggage assistance in Italy as well as NY and boston and so far cannot get my file reopened. I have sent numerous emails to every email address available for Alitalia and as of now, still my file is closed. My bag I am told is at Orly airport but no one can reach anyone at Orly airport. I tried calling Orly airport myself but cannot reach any working number in lost and found.

It is more than 12 days since my bag is lost. Many times when I call baggage assistance and customer service in Alitalia, I am treated poorly and basically told they cannot help me and that there is no supervisor and this is all they can do which so far has been nothing. They tell me they are sending emails to Orly airport but its more than 7 days. What is frustrating is that I think my bag was found but why they are not sending. I have also emailed the head of customer relations at Alitalia and contacted them via facebook about my bag. I have been told repeated that my bag is at Orly airport and it is found but they cannot get anyone to send it from Orly and don’t know why.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
A bag is not considered lost for 21 days. Did you have luggage tags in the bag and identification inside with your name and address?

I’m afraid you just have to be patient and wait out the 21 days. If the bag isn’t found you can apply for compensation.

Aug 7, 2019
A bag is not considered lost for 21 days. Did you have luggage tags in the bag and identification inside with your name and address?

I’m afraid you just have to be patient and wait out the 21 days. If the bag isn’t found you can apply for compensation.
Thank you for your reply. At Alitalia you have to wait 45 days before it is considered lost. I do not want compensation as the items in my bag totaled more than 10,000 dollars and most non- replaceable. Their max compensation I believe is only 1500 dollars.
I just want my bag back. The most frustrating thing is their lack of response and the fact I know they found my bag but I cannot get them to send it or re-open my file.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
On July 27, my family and I traveled from Milan to Orly, Paris on Alitalia. I checked in luggage which was not at Orly airport upon my arrival in Paris. I filled out a form regarding lost/delayed luggage. Then on July 29 they called my hotel saying luggage was found. But I was traveling back to the united states, so they said they will send luggage back to my permanent address. On the world tracer there were multiple flight plans saying my luggage would be sent to boston. But when it didn’t arrive, I called Alitalia and they said my file is closed. Since then I have tried repeated to get my file reopened. I am told that since my file is closed, I therefore received my luggage but I did not. There is no delivery confirmation and multiple different flight plans on world tracer after the file is close to suggest they were trying to send it. I have called customer service everyday, multiple times a day and they have not helped me at all. I have been calling baggage assistance in Italy as well as NY and boston and so far cannot get my file reopened. I have sent numerous emails to every email address available for Alitalia and as of now, still my file is closed. My bag I am told is at Orly airport but no one can reach anyone at Orly airport. I tried calling Orly airport myself but cannot reach any working number in lost and found.

It is more than 12 days since my bag is lost. Many times when I call baggage assistance and customer service in Alitalia, I am treated poorly and basically told they cannot help me and that there is no supervisor and this is all they can do which so far has been nothing. They tell me they are sending emails to Orly airport but its more than 7 days. What is frustrating is that I think my bag was found but why they are not sending. I have also emailed the head of customer relations at Alitalia and contacted them via facebook about my bag. I have been told repeated that my bag is at Orly airport and it is found but they cannot get anyone to send it from Orly and don’t know why.
I was just beginning to give up hope for your luggage, Jiang, until I read that it has "only" been 7 days. Alitalia is an entity unto itself, and I would be fairly confident that you'll be reunited with your bag pretty soon. They found it once, so it didn't disappear. Keep up the pressure to reopen your file so when they do stumble upon it, they know what to do with it.

Did you have ID inside the bag? When I landed in Rome years ago to connect between Continental and Alitalia, all the tags got ripped off my bag AFTER it was loaded on to the Alitalia plane. It took 3 days, but I got my bag at my Rome hotel because I had ID in the outside top pocket.

And a word of caution for the future. When you pack a bag to check with an airline, assume you'll never see it again. Don't put anything valuable in it. Keep your valuables in your carryon, or leave them at home ... they do not belong in a checked bag. Good luck and please let us know how long it takes them to find your bag.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Aug 7, 2019
A

Thank you for your reply. At Alitalia you have to wait 45 days before it is considered lost. I do not want compensation as the items in my bag totaled more than 10,000 dollars and most non- replaceable. Their max compensation I believe is only 1500 dollars.
I just want my bag back. The most frustrating thing is their lack of response and the fact I know they found my bag but I cannot get them to send it or re-open my file.
I was just beginning to give up hope for your luggage, Jiang, until I read that it has "only" been 7 days. Alitalia is an entity unto itself, and I would be fairly confident that you'll be reunited with your bag pretty soon. They found it once, so it didn't disappear. Keep up the pressure to reopen your file so when they do stumble upon it, they know what to do with it.

Did you have ID inside the bag? When I landed in Rome years ago to connect between Continental and Alitalia, all the tags got ripped off my bag AFTER it was loaded on to the Alitalia plane. It took 3 days, but I got my bag at my Rome hotel because I had ID in the outside top pocket.

And a word of caution for the future. When you pack a bag to check with an airline, assume you'll never see it again. Don't put anything valuable in it. Keep your valuables in your carryon, or leave them at home ... they do not belong in a checked bag. Good luck and please let us know how long it takes them to find your bag.

Thanks for the advice. Yeah i have not traveled outside country more than 10 years. Overall do not travel much on airplanes. I definitely learned my lesson. I was traveling for wedding for my brother in law at lake Como so packed my best clothes. I really hope you are right that they will find it. But worst part is the frustration with dealing with Alitalia’s customer service. One woman told me she is the only person there in Albania and its 11 pm there and can’t help me. Thats Alitalia’s customer service?
I did not have ID on bag or inside. The thought unfortunately never crossed my mind as I don’t travel much

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
The fact that there is no identifying information on the bag make it even more difficult to get the bag to you . They bag could be sitting in baggage claim but they have no idea it’s yours.

Have you considered going back to the airport and going to baggage claim to talk to someone and perhaps look for it if it was delivered in Boston?

Unless a bag has definite identifying characteristics, I’m not sure how any airline would know who it belonged to if the bag tag the airline put on becomes dislodged.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
The fact that there is no identifying information on the bag make it even more difficult to get the bag to you . They bag could be sitting in baggage claim but they have no idea it’s yours.

Ha e you considered going back to the airport and going to baggage claim to talk to someone and perhaps look for it?
Which airport are you suggesting she revisit? She has not seen her bag since she checked it in Rome. Seems it was missing in Paris. Now she is in Boston (I think.)

Aug 7, 2019

Have you considered going back to the airport and going to baggage claim to talk to someone and perhaps look for it if it was delivered in Boston?

Unless a bag has definite identifying characteristics, I’m not sure how any airline would know who it belonged to if the bag tag the airline put on becomes dislodged.
They tell me that the bag is found. The baggage assistance people in Italy tell me that according to system, they have my bag. But because file is closed, they can’t get anyone to send the bag. They tell me they send email to Orly but no response. I wrote to Elizabeth Santella, the head of customer relations and I FB message. They tell me lies all the time.
They tell me file is open but when I call customer service and baggage assistance, they tell me file is closed.

Aug 7, 2019
The Boston Airport.
The bag is most likely at ORLY airport. I have called multiple airlines that supposed the bag is to be shipped.
The bag has never entered the US. I have called so many times, written so many email. Alitalia has really poor customer service. You should hear how they speak to me. I am resorting to begging for my bag back.
Orly airport has no lost and found number you can call.

Aug 7, 2019
We have company contacts for Alitalia:

https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/alitalia/

Deal with them via email only and read this and follow the steps exactly as stated:

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/resolving-consumer-complaints-and-developing-a-paper-trail.8903/

You haven’t answered our question on whether or not you had luggage tags on the outside of the bag and identification inside as well in case a luggage tag broke off.
No, no luggage tags except for the one that the airline put on.

Aug 7, 2019

I know but the fact that the file is closed means, they are not even looking for my bag. They told me they found my bag but I cannot get anyone to send it or reopen file for the past 8 days. I am writing their executives now.

Aug 7, 2019
Please be patient and do everything in writing. Alitalia is not known for customer service and they are also in bankruptcy protection. Give the first contact a week and then move up to the next.
Thank you. Will continue to call and write them everyday. I appreciate the advice!

Aug 7, 2019
Okay thanks. I will wait a week before writing again. But I have been told by multiple baggage assistance people in Italy that bag is found. They just don’t know why it did not ship and because file is closed, no one will ship. They say orly has to create new file and then ship but no one can reach Orly.
Dealing with Alitalia will take a few years off of my life. Its like the twilight zone.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Okay thanks. I will wait a week before writing again. But I have been told by multiple baggage assistance people in Italy that bag is found. They just don’t know why it did not ship and because file is closed, no one will ship. They say orly has to create new file and then ship but no one can reach Orly.
Dealing with Alitalia will take a few years off of my life. Its like the twilight zone.
Well, Jiang, first thing is that the bag is found. This is GREAT. Next thing is to get the thing shipped to you. This will take enormous patience and persistence. Alitalia doesn't have bad customer service, they have no customer service. They've been on the verge of going under for years. The reason our "system" works for people is that eventually an executive will read your plea and will investigate and solve the issue. An executive is the only one who will, or can, fix this. The rest of them are demoralized and powerless to help. You need to get that claim re-opened or file a new one ... appealing to the executives should get this fixed ... eventually. It may be MONTHS, don't give up.

Aug 7, 2019
You should wait and do accordingly. I hope you'll get your luggage. All the best!

Aug 7, 2019

8/13/2019 update
Hi, so its now 18 days since luggage was lost. My main problem is that they closed the file on august 3 even though they did not return the luggage. I have been unable to get them to reopen file even though I have sent emails, called, all with no results.
I read on the department of transportation website that they cannot deny my lost luggage.
I could file a complaint with DOT?
I dont even think my luggage is lost as they found it but closed the file without sending it and now refuses to reopen even though they admit I did not get my bag.
They want me to file claim in 45 days but I want my bag back. Even if I wait 45 days, given file is closed, they still have not looked for my bag or tried to send it.
All my emails just get the automatic reply.
The head of customer service Elizabeth Santella tells me she will expedite file but nothing is done and they keep asking me for same information that I already sent.