Lost IHG Points Appeal Denied

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 16, 2017
On March 27 this year, I discovered my balance of 45,310 points had been zeroed out! I had never received any notice of program changes, and the points never used to have an expiration date.

I contacted the IHG program call center and spoke to two different representatives, both of whom declined to restore my point balance. The rules changed, and in spite of no notification, they would not reinstate my points.

One of the reps declined to provide me with any corporate addresses or management contact information to appeal this inequity in spite of me asking twice! So I went to the Elliott site to get contact information and wrote to Chris Zoloth, Director of Global Relations. I received an email reply again declining to restore my points, saying:
"We provided notification of the changes to members by email, postal mail, and through account notification online. I understand your assertion that you did not receive notification, and were, therefore, unaware of the changes. I certainly understand your frustration in finding your points had expired, and I am sorry." I received no such notifications! And IHG also stated:
"An active member either redeems or earns points within a 12 month period; as the last activity in your account before your points expired was September of 2015, a full year before your points expired, the expiration is valid and will remain. I recognize this is not the response you were hoping for, and again, I am sorry."

I follow my points programs closely and act to preserve what I feel I have legitimately earned. But I never did get any notifications at all about the change, and feel ripped off by IHG.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I received my emails about it - but if you haven't stayed or earned points in 2 years to keep your account active, there is no reason for them to reinstate them. And when my points were expiring I received multiple emails from them.

Unfortunately one thing these forums don't get involved with are loyalty programs problems. That has been the policy from day one so this isn't something we can help you with.

From our FAQ page:

Are there any cases you don’t mediate?

Yes. Here’s my list:

• Visa/passport problems that led to denied boarding.
  • Missing loyalty points.
  • Recently lost or misplaced luggage.
  • Compensation for delays that resulted in lost vacation or work days.
  • Airline seat comfort issues.
  • Asking an company to honor an obvious price error.
  • Getting a refund for a nonrefundable airline ticket or hotel room.
  • Airfares that go up after selecting a flight option (caching).
  • Any case that’s been referred to a company’s legal department.