Lost control of an Enterprise car and crashed into the railings

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
Feb 5, 2017
I booked an enterprise car in Albany,New York yesterday and met with an accident. I lost control of the car and crashed in to the railings. The damage was pretty nasty, as the right front Tyre and the two doors were almost bust and so was the front bumper and the front axle. One of the airbags was also gone. I was the only one in the car and the only car in the accident.

I don't have an insurance, hence I bought the Collision damage waiver and personal insurance from enterprise. As soon as the accident occurred I informed enterprise and they helped me get back home safely. A cop issued me a ticked for 'failing to keep right' and an accident report which I submitted at the enterprise office along with the keys. The person who came to tow the car along with him I went back to the enterprise office said that the estimate of damage could be around 10k-12k. I am really scared and I have no idea what to do.\ or what would happen next.

I know I messed up, what am I supposed to do and what kind of money am I looking at for all this to get settled?

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I booked an enterprise car in Albany,New York yesterday and met with an accident. I lost control of the car and crashed in to the railings. The damage was pretty nasty, as the right front Tyre and the two doors were almost bust and so was the front bumper and the front axle. One of the airbags was also gone. I was the only one in the car and the only car in the accident.

I don't have an insurance, hence I bought the Collision damage waiver and personal insurance from enterprise. As soon as the accident occurred I informed enterprise and they helped me get back home safely. A cop issued me a ticked for 'failing to keep right' and an accident report which I submitted at the enterprise office along with the keys. The person who came to tow the car along with him I went back to the enterprise office said that the estimate of damage could be around 10k-12k. I am really scared and I have no idea what to do.\ or what would happen next.

I know I messed up, what am I supposed to do and what kind of money am I looking at for all this to get settled?
John, I'm glad you're OK after what must have been an horrifying experience. Best for you to find details of the insurance you bought from Enterprise and study it to see what coverage you have. If you can't find it on their website, perhaps a call to the corporate office will get you steered in the right direction to find it. Also check the paperwork you were given when you drove the car out. You SHOULD be fine, that's what insurance is for. But best to know all the details ahead of time. Does the credit card you used for the rental have any coverage available to you? We have advocates here who really understand all the ins and outs of rental cars. Someone more knowledgeable than I should be along soon. Take a deep breath, you've come to the right place for advice.

Feb 5, 2017
John, I'm glad you're OK after what must have been an horrifying experience. Best for you to find details of the insurance you bought from Enterprise and study it to see what coverage you have. If you can't find it on their website, perhaps a call to the corporate office will get you steered in the right direction to find it. Also check the paperwork you were given when you drove the car out. You SHOULD be fine, that's what insurance is for. But best to know all the details ahead of time. Does the credit card you used for the rental have any coverage available to you? We have advocates here who really understand all the ins and outs of rental cars. Someone more knowledgeable than I should be along soon. Take a deep breath, you've come to the right place for advice.

Thanks for replying and also for your valuable advice.

I tried finding the details for the damage waiver that is offered by Enterprise on their website but very little to nothing is available regarding what is covered and up to what extent it is covered. I plan to call their corporate office tomorrow to find out more regarding that. The paperwork was mailed to me online and it states that I had taken Damage Waiver and that's all that it has.

I had called my credit card company fearing the damage waiver by enterprise may not cover the issue and they said that by claiming damage waiver I had chosen to not take the damage cover provided by the credit card company. Iam not sure what to do here.

Is there something else that has to be done, or something/ some detail that I am missing, please let me know.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Your credit card is correct- you have to decline the coverage offered by Enterprise to have coverage from your credit card.

This is what it says about the Damage Waiver

e_plus_logo.gif
Damage Waiver

Damage Waiver (DW) is offered at the time of rental for an additional daily charge. If the renter accepts our Damage Waiver, Enterprise waives or reduces the renter's responsibility for loss of, or damage to, the rental vehicle (including but not limited to towing, storage, loss of use, administrative fees and/or diminishment of value) subject to the terms and conditions of the rental agreement and applicable laws.

Damage Waiver is not insurance. The purchase of Damage Waiver is optional and not required to rent a car. The protection provided by Damage Waiver may duplicate the renter's existing coverage. Enterprise is not qualified to evaluated the adequacy of the renter's existing coverage; therefore the renter should examine his or her credit card protections, automobile insurance policies or other sources of coverage that may duplicate the protection provided by Damage Waiver.
The cost of Damage Waiver varies by location and vehicle type. The daily cost is between $8.99 and $29.99 per day.

What type of car insurance do you have on your personal vehicle? Does your own car insurance policy offer coverage for rental cars and do you have collision coverage on your own car?

Reactions: Patina
Feb 5, 2017
Thanks Neil for your reply and posting the details by Enterprise regarding Damage Waiver.
I am Sorry but I don't own a car, neither do I have any insurance policy.

Nov 14, 2016
First of all, there's nothing you can do so there's no reason to be scared. You can't "preempt" any actions that Enterprise takes. You specifically purchased the DW which is precisely what this is for. Besides, NY has some very strict rules on when a rental car company can come after someone who purchased the DW:

1. The damage or loss caused intentionally, willfully or wantonly by an Authorized Driver;
  2. The damage or loss occurring while an Authorized Driver operates the rental vehicle while legally intoxicated or impaired by the use of alcohol or drugs;
  3. The rental vehicle company entered into the rental transaction based on fraudulent or materially false information supplied by the renter or authorized driver;
  4. The damage or loss arises out of the use of the vehicle while engaged in the commission of a crime other than a traffic infraction;
  5. The damage or loss arises out of the use of the vehicle to carry persons or property for hire, to push or tow anything, while engaged in a speed contest, operating off road, or for driver's training;
  6. The damage or loss arises out of the use of the vehicle by a person other than: an authorized driver; a duly licensed parent or child over the age of eighteen thereof who permanently resides in the same household; or a parking valet or parking garage attendant for compensation and in the normal course of employment;
  7. The damage or loss out of the use of the vehicle outside the continental United States when that use is not specifically authorized by the rental agreement;
  8. The authorized driver has failed to comply with the requirements for reporting damage or loss as set forth in the rental agreement (Enterprise CarShareTerms of Use).
In other states you can be liable if it's simply "reckless conduct". In NY there's a higher standard to stick you with the bill. So unless one of the 8 above apply to you, relax and don't worry about it unless you hear from Enterprise. And if you do, come back here and we'll be happy to help. I think you may owe $500 and that's about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 5, 2017
First of all, there's nothing you can do so there's no reason to be scared. You can't "preempt" any actions that Enterprise takes. You specifically purchased the DW which is precisely what this is for (we recently had someone on here who DIDN'T buy this and had no insurance which is an incredible level of stupidity). Besides, NY has some very strict rules on when a rental car company can come after someone who purchased the DW:

1. The damage or loss caused intentionally, willfully or wantonly by an Authorized Driver;
  2. The damage or loss occurring while an Authorized Driver operates the rental vehicle while legally intoxicated or impaired by the use of alcohol or drugs;
  3. The rental vehicle company entered into the rental transaction based on fraudulent or materially false information supplied by the renter or authorized driver;
  4. The damage or loss arises out of the use of the vehicle while engaged in the commission of a crime other than a traffic infraction;
  5. The damage or loss arises out of the use of the vehicle to carry persons or property for hire, to push or tow anything, while engaged in a speed contest, operating off road, or for driver's training;
  6. The damage or loss arises out of the use of the vehicle by a person other than: an authorized driver; a duly licensed parent or child over the age of eighteen thereof who permanently resides in the same household; or a parking valet or parking garage attendant for compensation and in the normal course of employment;
  7. The damage or loss out of the use of the vehicle outside the continental United States when that use is not specifically authorized by the rental agreement;
  8. The authorized driver has failed to comply with the requirements for reporting damage or loss as set forth in the rental agreement (Enterprise CarShareTerms of Use).
In other states you can be liable if it's simply "reckless conduct". In NY there's a higher standard to stick you with the bill. So unless one of the 8 above apply to you, relax and don't worry about it unless you hear from Enterprise. And if you do, come back here and we'll be happy to help. I think you may owe $500 and that's about it.

Thank you Kahhss for replying and your insight of the issue.

This is the first time I have been in an accident. I was shocked and scared at the same time. I hope you understand why I was desperate to know what I have got myself into. But what you have pointed out does make a lot of sense as I cannot foretell what Enterprise does.
I will wait for enterprise to get back to me and let you all know what comes of it.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Reactions: jsn55