Lost computer no person to contact.

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Aug 17, 2019
On August 7, my coworker and I flew from ORD to MSP in Delta flight 2359.
My coworker left his laptop in the seat back pocket. We attempted to call several Delta options and were left with the on-line form only. We filled out the form the following morning by 10:00 am and also listed a clear description (easily identifiable by stickers) and serial number. I have tried calling any Delta contact with no resolve. The case will only be open for 3 weeks, two of which have passed. This computer is valued at well over $4k and there should be a way to speak with someone or escalate this search.
Thank you.
Melanie Cox
Spang TV

Edited by moderator to remove personal phone number.

Last edited by a moderator:

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I hate to say this but there is probably little chance you will see this again. Someone who got off the plane after you might have seen it in the seat back and taken it. But there is a small chance that it might have been found by the cleaning crew and turned it.

You need to wait out the lost and found process. It is possible that no one saw it until the plane turned around and went on it’s next flight so it may not be at the airport you landed at.

We have company contacts on our Company Contact page and you can use them to start writing and creating a case for yourself but you must write to one person at a time starting at Customer Service and leaving a week in between every email.

Stop calling and use email only. Here is how to write:

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/resolving-consumer-complaints-and-developing-a-paper-trail.8903/

Good luck and please let us know if its found.

Sep 19, 2015
My coworker left his laptop in the seat back pocket. We attempted to call several Delta options and were left with the on-line form only. We filled out the form the following morning by 10:00 am and also listed a clear description (easily identifiable by stickers) and serial number. I have tried calling any Delta contact with no resolve. The case will only be open for 3 weeks, two of which have passed. This computer is valued at well over $4k and there should be a way to speak with someone or escalate this search.
Thank you.
Melanie Cox
Spang TV

At this point it is a passive situation -- as in if someone turned it in. If another passenger took it or a dishonest cleaning crew there is nothing that can be done.

Is it a type of computer that can be "found" as in "find my ..."

After a certain amount of time found property is moved to a central location.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I am so sorry. Pax leave so many things on airplanes, an airline really doesn't have much choice but to handle it all online. To add hundreds of employees at every station to track down lost items would be cost prohibitive. Electronics should never be put in the seat pocket, even for a minute. If you don't have a long-term, hard & fast routine* on an airplane, you probably should not bring them out at all, especially on a short flight. Electronics of any kind left on an airplane are usually instant history ... they're snapped up by passengers or other people allowed on the plane for whatever reason. Occasionally, an item turns up in L&F, but not very often. I wish we could help.

* I have the same routine, flight after flight, year after year. Nothing changes. My laptop lives in the outside pocket of my carryon, in a protective case covered with pretty pink roses. My phone lives in the upper outside pocket in a lime green sleeve. When I board, I know the number of items I'm responsible for: carryon, briefcase, hat bag, duffle bag, purse, bag of donuts, whatever I bring with me. When the announcement is made that we're preparing for landing, every single item goes back where it belongs. I read my Nook for the rest of the flight and it goes into my purse when we land, before I get up. I never make an exception ... I lost everything all the time when I was a child and I don't ever want to lose another thing.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
I have done this very thing and thank goodness I told a Hostess at the Alaska Boardroom I had done this. She took off across the terminal like a roadrunner and retrieved my IPad! I thought it was lost for good.
I don’t ever put anything in that pocket, lesson learned ;)

Jun 27, 2017
On a recent SW flight, the FA came on the mike during our descent and delivered a cute little ditty about what the FAs find in the seat pockets after all the passengers deboard. It was funny, but it ended with a sweetly said command/reminder to check the pockets NOW. Of course, not everyone listens. Similar to jns55's method but not quite the same, we have put strips of wildly patterned or brightly colored Duck Tape on our protective covers.

Mar 23, 2015
Thank you.
Melanie Cox
Spang TV

Ouch that's a bitter pill/significant loss for your co-worker to swallow (although why it's you here instead of him is odd), but I'm not sure why you're so down on Delta about this. It's highly likely that another passenger has the laptop. It isn't Delta's responsibility to take care of the laptop--that's 100% on the owner of the belongings. They announce a half dozen times to please check the seat back for your belongings etc.. as they approach but HOLY MOLY ... no way I'd leave a $4K laptop behind! Is there any "techie" way to see if and where from the laptop connects to maybe a connected cloud account or is it password protected etc...? If it's a corporately owned laptop, perhaps their security has a way to track it--has it been reported? I know my gov. contractor had a way to track a lost/stolen laptop (at least they said they did--fortunately never had to test that!)

Feb 3, 2017
I hope there is a happy ending to this terrible situation but hopefully, the computer had been backed up (cloud or external drive) and a claim can be made for at least some coverage from insurance.

My routine before landing is to use the loo about 30 minutes before wheels down and then I put my iPad or laptop, kindle, whatever in my lap so I can't forget it.

I would be thrilled to get it back if I did forget it but mostly, I would expect to never see it again.

Mar 23, 2015
I hope there is a happy ending to this terrible situation but hopefully, the computer had been backed up (cloud or external drive) and a claim can be made for at least some coverage from insurance.

My routine before landing is to use the loo about 30 minutes before wheels down and then I put my iPad or laptop, kindle, whatever in my lap so I can't forget it.

I would be thrilled to get it back if I did forget it but mostly, I would expect to never see it again.
We left a brand new $800 tablet on a cruise because the black tablet blended in with the table we'd set it on while waiting to disembark. NEVER again. Now everything gets put away and does NOT get taken out to putz with!! We realized it on the bus to the dock and called within maybe 20 mins but it was already gone (most likely in the possession of another passenger). We never would have thought to blame Princess for our silly mistake. I did however freely blame my husband for setting it down and leaving it there!! :)