Looking forward -- forest fire issues

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
We've booked a rental through a reputable bnb broker near Yosemite for early September and obviously the forest fires and the partial closing of Yosemite National Park now raise a lot of concerns. What should we prepare for and discuss with the broker about the possibility of not having an enjoyable visit with nature in the Park. Cancellation clauses, rebate, refund? We're looking ahead and hope we don't have to do anything other than enjoy Ansel Adams land. Thanks in advance!

Mar 17, 2015
I don't know that you would speak with the broker, you probably need to see about travel insurance. I don't know that any broker or insurance can guarantee an enjoyable time on any vacation, sometimes life just happens, and we, as people, can create our own enjoyment. Now, if you are worried that the fire may prevent you from even going on the vacation or limiting what you can see, then that is what travel insurance would be for. Not sure how long ago you booked and I am also not sure about insuring against known issues. I think you need to do some research on travel insurance and then call, during normal business hours, to talk to an agent that can answer all of your questions.

The time to have spoken to the broker about cancellation clauses, rebates, and refunds was before you booked, not after.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Buying travel insurance now won’t cover the fires- you need to buy insurance before anything like this happens- once there is a incident already in place - fires, hurricanes, volcanos- it’s too late to buy a policy to cover.

Was your booking refundable? Unless the fires affect the rental or the surrounding area is off limits to traveling - you usually can’t cancel.

What does your contract say?

Jan 23, 2015
Do they have other locations they could transfer your reservations to (SF bay area, southern CA, up north)? Or give you credit towards a future stay?
Also, parts of the park are closed, so you should check on that too.
Good luck!