Looking for refund from Orbitz / Alaska Airlines

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 5, 2021
I booked a round trip ticket to the west coast last year, 2020 on Orbitz. Itinerary #xxxxxx. The departing flight was on United Airlines from Boston to Santa Barbara. The flight was to commence on March, 16, 2020. United gives me till the end of 2021 to use the credit of $228.20 and I likely will.

The return flight was on Alaska Airlines out of San Diego,, non-stop, on March 23, 2020. Flight #1048. This had a cost of $538.40. According to Orbitz and Alaska Airlines, I have until 3/23/21 to complete the flights. There are two issues with this:

1. Alaska no longer flies non stop out of San Diego or LAX to Boston. I would have to fly through Seattle for a 10 to 12 hour combined flight time. This makes no sense to me at all.

2. I am older and very respectful of COVID. I will not be flying until most of us have received the vaccine and California is much safer for me than it is now. I am anxious to see my daughter, but would prefer being alive.

I am looking for a full refund on the Alaska flight. Thank you.

Edited by moderator to remove itinerary number.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If you canceled the flight (not the airline), you aren’t due a refund, only a credit. You can use the credit on any flight Alaska flies. Unfortunately, the big three airlines have been more generous with their credits than smaller airlines.

You are better off asking for an extension of the credit.

You can contact Alaska Airlines and ask for an exception. Here are our contacts:

Here is how to write:

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
What date did you cancel your flight? Did you cancel after March 1 or before?

From their website:

Extended travel credits

Many of you have travel credits or Wallet funds in your account, but aren’t ready yet to make future plans, so we are extending expiration dates.

If you have a valid credit in your Wallet that was deposited before March 1, 2020, your booking expiration date will be extended by 6 months. You do not need to travel before that 6-month extension date – you just need to book your ticket by then.
For those of you who cancel flights due to COVID-19 impacts between March 1 and December 31, 2020, the credits in your Wallet will be extended to purchase through July 5, 2021 for travel through May 31, 2022.
For flights canceled after August 31, 2020, your credits will display the original expiration date until the extension takes place in late-October, 2020.

BittyBoo

Jul 30, 2018
It's important to point out that the flight was booked thru Orbitz and therefore you will need to work with them to obtain a refund. Unfortunately, as we have seen many times on this forum, your refund request will be based on the terms and conditions in place when you booked with Orbitz. Even if Alaska Airlines refunds Orbitz, you may only be entitled to a credit. Have you requested a refund from Orbitz?