Looking for a refund

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 6, 2021
I hope you can help with my wife and myself getting a refund from our cancelled cruise and flight to London England. The cruise is not the problem, the problem is Travelocity.

Let me start from the beginning. we booked a flight to Heathrow Airport through Travelocity on December 31st 2019 for a round trip flight with Iberia airlines. We were to leave from JFK airport in New York on Sept 23rd 2020 and return on Oct 11th 2020. We took travel Insurance with AIG travel Insurance Co. We were notified by Princess Cruise lines that our cruise out of South Hampton England was cancelled. I notified Travelocity that due to the pandemic we no longer needed to fly to London. At the time they said all they could do is give me credit because the Covid pandemic is not covered by the travel insurance.

We took the credit from them, with the understanding that we had to use it by December 2020. We decided to rebook our Cruise for May 2nd 2021 so we would not loose the money we had paid for our flights to London England. We were just notified again by Princess Cruise line that our cruise was cancelled again. Our flights were rescheduled fro April 30th.2021 from JFK to Heathrow with a return on May 14th,2021.

We have decided to not rebook this cruise and we attempted to get a refund from Travelocity. After contacting Travelocity today, I was told that they would not refund my money and that they contacted the airline to attempt to get me a refund and I was told that Iberia airlines will only give me credit not a refund. I don't need credit because I don't intend to travel to Europe for any reason other than to take a cruise which we are not doing.

Is there anything you can do to help us get our money back?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Unfortunately, Travelocity is not the problem- canceling is. The airline doesn’t care that your cruise was canceled - if you cancel a nonrefundable ticket, it’s nonrefundable. You are only due a refund if the airline cancels the flight.

I would advise you not to cancel the air- wait for Iberia to cancel, if the flight is canceled then you are due a refund. Travelocity can’t give you a refund if the airline won’t refund you.

Please read this, particularly #5

Comicman

Jul 13, 2020
At the time they said all they could do is give me credit because the Covid pandemic is not covered by the travel insurance.
You might have the best result just taking the future travel credit and hope to use it for a different flight.
Once you take a credit it is almost impossible to get it converted to a refund. Beyond that you canceled a non refundable flight and were not even due the credit.
You booked with Travelocity an OTA and as such you are their customer not the airlines. So the airlines can not help you . Beyond this , the airlines said they are only issuing credits. So Travelocity can only refund what the airlines gives them.
I am sure you can appeal to them for an exception but you will be in a very very long line of others also requesting a change from voucher to refund. So I would think that the chances of you getting one are very slim. Which is why trying to use the voucher for a short trip or maybe finding a relative to use it ( if it is not locked to your name) and maybe they can give you some of your money back.
Remember there are no winners here. We all are losing the customer , the airlines and even Travelocity.

Last edited:

Skippy

May 30, 2019
As you wrote,
After contacting Travelocity today, I was told that they would not refund my money and that they contacted the airline to attempt to get me a refund and I was told that Iberia airlines will only give me credit not a refund.
This is about the limit of what Travelocity can do on your behalf, and they are doing it. Your issue is not with Travelocity.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
You might have the best result just taking the future travel credit and hope to use it for a different flight.
Once you take a credit it is almost impossible to get it converted to a refund. Beyond that you canceled a non refundable flight and were not even due the credit.
You booked with Travelocity an OTA and as such you are their customer not the airlines. So the airlines can not help you . Beyond this , the airlines said they are only issuing credits. So Travelocity can only refund what the airlines gives them.
I am sure you can appeal to them for an exception but you will be in a very very long line of others also requesting a change from voucher to refund. So I would think that the chances of you getting one are very slim. Which is why trying to use the voucher for a short trip or maybe finding a relative to use it ( if it is not locked to your name) and maybe they can give you some of your money back.
Remember there are no winners here. We all are losing the customer , the airlines and even Travelocity.
Unfortunately, I agree with my colleagues. But I think Comicman has a good suggestion for the Iberia credit if you'll not use it. Ask Travelocity to make it transferrable. This would be an exception to their rules, so send them a concise, polite, appreciative email making the request. Don't call, the telephone agents are not able to take care of things like this. Everyone is singing the same song and everyone wants to speak to a supervisor. Email is almost always better anyway, and now it's much better. Submit to Customer Service, wait two weeks, then use our Company Contacts to work up the executive ladder, waiting a week between submissions. Be sure to give Travelocity all the details it needs to look up your record.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
It is going to be up to the airline as to whether the credit is transferable. Travelocity cannot do anything that the airline will not allow.
Isn't it understood that Travelocity is the agent; therefore our OP needs to start with Travelocity? Travelocity will negotiate with the airline. Our OP should not contact the airline directly, but work with the agent.

Reactions: Neil Maley

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Isn't it understood that Travelocity is the agent; therefore our OP needs to start with Travelocity? Travelocity will negotiate with the airline. Our OP should not contact the airline directly, but work with the agent.
Absolutely. But if the airline tells Travelocity they will only give OP a credit, Travelocity can’t do much about it.