Liftmaster Garage Door Openers -- I Learned Something!

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

Carol Phillips

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 28, 2014
Coastal South Carolina
Our home had a Liftmaster garage door opener already installed when we bought it in 2006. Today the belt decided to go flooey ... broke completely in half.

Being a total non-techie, I called a local garage door opener repair service. They told me that Liftmaster has a LIFETIME WARRANTY on their belts (caveat: some belts made before 1999 may not be available, but that didn't affect our situation). The warranty is only through Liftmaster itself for the part.

I called Liftmaster with the model #, serial #, manufacturing date (all easily found on the motor housing) and lo and behold ... a new belt is en route to us AT NO CHARGE. These things retail for ~$75 so we are thrilled.

The local repair service will come and install it for a reasonable service charge.

I would never have thought about a lifetime warranty ... would just have gone ahead and purchased the belt with the service visit. I'm grateful to the local company for sharing the Lifetime Warranty info with me, and now wonder how many other mechanical parts are also covered in this manner ....

Lesson learned :)

Some advice: Don't extrapolate this great warranty to other parts of your garage door assembly. It only covers the belt or chain.

I have a Liftmaster opener, too, but the door and its torsion springs are from another manufacturer. When one of the torsion springs broke last week, trapping one of our cars inside the garage, nothing was covered under warranty. $399 later, all's well.

Carol Phillips

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 28, 2014
Coastal South Carolina
Some advice: Don't extrapolate this great warranty to other parts of your garage door assembly. It only covers the belt or chain.

I have a Liftmaster opener, too, but the door and its torsion springs are from another manufacturer. When one of the torsion springs broke last week, trapping one of our cars inside the garage, nothing was covered under warranty. $399 later, all's well.

I'm happy you were eventually able to extricate your car. Things like garage door openers are one of those items that we may not realize how reliant we are on them!

Jan 8, 2015

I'm happy you were eventually able to extricate your car. Things like garage door openers are one of those items that we may not realize how reliant we are on them!
When you have a 2,000 pound garage door keeping dozens of cars from leaving a garage then you realize how badly you need a quality product. LOL

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I've always thought that 'lifetime' warranties were just a marketing tool because who ever remembers, or even knows, about them. But they sound good. I remember putting a Firestone battery in Cocoa the Cadillac with a lifetime guarantee. Twelve years later she 'died' on the front lawn after a bath. Good girl, the next morning she fired right up and we rolled into the local Firestone shop. The service manager couldn't believe that this was happening. It was comical. I've always been grateful to the woman from whom we bought our house, she left me a huge box of information on everything, so very helpful. Great post and outcome, cp!

Jan 6, 2015
One thing I have learned to do with warranties is to setup a reminder task (we use MS Outlook) as soon as we purchase. That way we have a chance to check the product one last time before the warranty expires. Has worked great for car batteries and our computer chair.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
One thing I have learned to do with warranties is to setup a reminder task (we use MS Outlook) as soon as we purchase. That way we have a chance to check the product one last time before the warranty expires. Has worked great for car batteries and our computer chair.
Genius! Can't imagine why I didn't think of this, so clever.

Nov 27, 2018
Our home had a Liftmaster garage door opener already installed when we bought it in 2006. Today the belt decided to go flooey ... broke completely in half.

Being a total non-techie, I called a local garage door opener repair service. They told me that Liftmaster has a LIFETIME WARRANTY on their belts (caveat: some belts made before 1999 may not be available, but that didn't affect our situation). The warranty is only through Liftmaster itself for the part.

I called Liftmaster with the model #, serial #, manufacturing date (all easily found on the motor housing) and lo and behold ... a new belt is en route to us AT NO CHARGE. These things retail for ~$75 so we are thrilled.

The local repair service will come and install it for a reasonable service charge.

I would never have thought about a lifetime warranty ... would just have gone ahead and purchased the belt with the service visit. I'm grateful to the local company for sharing the Lifetime Warranty info with me, and now wonder how many other mechanical parts are also covered in this manner ....

Lesson learned :)
Wow, many thanks for posting this. Just saved me $70 to order a new belt. Called liftmaster tech support and confirmed there is a lifetime warranty on the belts. They are sending me two, one for each of my doors. One belt broke and the other is about to. I had even been on the phone with liftmaster earlier this morning to confirm the correct belt part number to order and there was no mention to me that the original belts were warranted for lifetime.

Carol Phillips

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 28, 2014
Coastal South Carolina
Wow, many thanks for posting this. Just saved me $70 to order a new belt. Called liftmaster tech support and confirmed there is a lifetime warranty on the belts. They are sending me two, one for each of my doors. One belt broke and the other is about to. I had even been on the phone with liftmaster earlier this morning to confirm the correct belt part number to order and there was no mention to me that the original belts were warranted for lifetime.
So glad we were able to help :)