Lenovo refuses to honor international warranty for defective yoga730

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 27, 2018
Hi,

I posted this in the help section but was asked to post it here as well.

This is in regard to an issue I am having with Lenovo and Best Buy. Essentially I purchased a Lenovo laptop from Best Buy in California using Best Buy financing provided by Citi. I am living in Spain for the next year and 5 weeks after the purchase of the $1050 laptop, it died (most likely motherboard).

My computer has an international warranty (IWS), but Lenovo is saying the warranty only covers me in USA, Australia, New Zealand and Singapore. Meanwhile their actual warranty contract states that I am covered in any country where the model is sold whether living or travelling. This model is sold in Spain, yet they refuse to cover the repair or offer a replacement or refund (they say that although it has the same product name yoga 730-15IKB, it is a different computer so they are off the hook). They say that I can have it repaired in USA but the problem is if I send it to the USA, I will have to pay shipping fees as well as cover the import duties and VAT when I have the computer sent back to Europe once repaired (this could be as much as 400-500 Euros). This will also take several weeks after I have already lost the computer for 3 weeks and I need it for work.

Best buy won't help because they say this was outside of the 14 day coverage period. They tell me I am only covered by the manufacturer. They also refuse a refund. So I spent all this money and neither company will cover me for a defective product. I also tried to bring it to a Lenovo technician in Spain for a repair but they said if they open the laptop to diagnose the problem, my warranty will be invalidated, so I can not even do a diagnostic check.

Meanwhile I bought the computer on credit so although I haven't paid for it yet (I only paid $45 so far), I am being forced to send monthly payments to despite the fact that it is defective and completely useless. I have considered the possibility of a charge back but I am not sure if I can do this or how it would work.

Lenovo also has terrible customer service and has lied, hung up, passed me around from agent to agent with long hold times, and they are very inconsistent, first telling me I was covered then later saying I am not, the story always changes. The only consistent thing is the refusal to honor the international warranty. I have spent countless hours dealing with representatives from both companies on the phone and via email. It is a nightmare that will not end, I know they are doing this to just convince me to give up, because at some point investing more energy in this is not worth it. But I can't get it fixed because it would invalidate the warranty and it will most likely cost half as much as the computer was new, making my $1050 computer $1550 or more.

What's your desired resolution? All I want is for Lenovo to approve warranty coverage in Spain (or anywhere in EU) so I can get my new defective computer fixed. Lenovo sent me the address and contact info of the official service provider in Spain, but they refuse to fix it and say I am not covered. They say they will fix it if Lenovo messages them too confirm that my computer is under warranty.

Otherwise (less ideal but acceptable) I would like Best Buy to accept the computer back by mail for a refund, as a return or repair wont work because I will need to pay to have it clear customs in the EU and I can not bring the computer to them personally without buying a $500 lane ticket.

Thanks for any help you can provide, I appreciate it.

Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/lenovo/
https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/best-buy/
Begin the email process as indicated at the bottom of the web pages above. Do not waste your time calling-use email only.
Did you research this computer prior to purchase? Amazon ratings are 47% 1 star, a huge red flag suggesting a repair may not solve your problems. You may be better off trying to get a refund rather than repair or replacement, and purchase something that will work for more than a few weeks.

Sep 27, 2018
Thwnks for the reply I intended to buy a Huawei mate book xpro, but it was sold out everywhere for months.

I was recommended this at Best buy, I looked at online reviews from experts and they were generally very positive.

Originslly when I looked I saw very few reviews, but generally positive. Although now I am seeing there are a fair amount of poor reviews after digging further and finding other machines which for some reason have the same name but have more reviews. They aren't all nested together.

Also, this is a new laptop and I shocked to see suddenly the prices have plumetted $200 below the price I paid in the last 2 months. Not sure how that's possible.

So yes, it seems going for a refund might be the best option to avoid dealing g with Lenovo again.

Not sure if that will be possible

I will follow the Instructions you sent. Thanks for that. I have been asking for those contact details but I am refused every time. I will update the thread when and if I get a response.

Thanks again .

Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
"Also, this is a new laptop and I shocked to see suddenly the prices have plumetted $200 below the price I paid in the last 2 months. Not sure how that's possible. "

Price drops are common, particularly with poor reviews and retailers wishing to clear the item from inventory to stock better-rated computers. Retailers are afraid their inventory will not sell and they will have to dump the product for pennies on the dollar. They are looking for the consumer to look for a bargain deal, instead of a good product. A highly rated product will not drop in price as quickly.
A "new" electronic is not a good choice for travel. Tried and true is what you want.

Sep 19, 2015
As computers have rechargeable lithium ion batteries there are restrictions on shipping such items overseas.

Just something to think about when suggesting that Best Buy take it back by mail.

Sep 27, 2018
By the way, does anyone know if only best buy is capable of giving a refund, or can I achieve a refund from the manufacturer itself if I purchased from a third party?

Sep 27, 2018
This is interesting as the batter is not removable unless the computer is opened, in which case its warranty is invalidated. Strange because laptops are shipped all over the world all the time. Phones too. To consumers and to retailers. Not sure how this can be possible considering need of Now this leads me to believe I will have even more difficulty getting a refund.

I contacted a Best Buy contact listed in the link you provided and explained simply and asked nicely for a refund. We'll see what the response is.

This is correct. It would need to be shipped without battery.

Sep 19, 2015
Ugh so I just tried to look this model up — is this the Yoga 730 that is an Ideapad? These seem to have a limited international warranty

Note:
The list of products below does not have International Warranty Services

• IdeaCentre Desktop and All-In-One including A, B, C, H, K, Q series
• Lenovo Desktop and All-In-One products including S-series and V-series
• IdeaPad Tablet and IdeaTab Tablet

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/pt/en/iwslookup

Sep 27, 2018
Yeah I looked it up, even the specific model yoga 730-15ikb.

It shows me that the approved service center is visonic madrid. Lenovo tech support even sent me that by email.

The problem is if you enter the serial number of the laptop, it shows that it has the IWS but is only covered in USA, Singapore, New Zealand and Australia.

They are telling me that the IWS is not valid in Spain because the yoga 730-15ikb sold in USA is different than yoga 730-15ikb sold in Spain or Europe and therefore they don't have to repair it. Because the fine print on the IWS says I am covered in any country where the machine is sold. So they use some technicality to say it's a different machine even though it's the same computer, same specs, same name, but the serial number of the computer is what they use to look up coverage and they say my machine is not covered in Europe for that reason.

The specific language of the iws states:

""Lenovo IdeaPad Limited International Warranty Service (Referred as "IWS") provides customers with warranty service even if they relocate their IdeaPads to another country. This warranty service is available wherever Lenovo or Lenovo resellers sell and service your particular machine type."

To me this wording is intentionally confusing and convoluted. How can a consumer be expected to know the difference when the customer support agents themselves don't know.

My computer model is sold in Spain, yet they claim the machine type is not. It can not be reasonably assumed that the consumer can navigate these differences and truly understand that the machine isn't covered internationally when the iws seems to Indicate that it is covered for travel and relocation .

"Also, this is a new laptop and I shocked to see suddenly the prices have plumetted $200 below the price I paid in the last 2 months. Not sure how that's possible. "

Price drops are common, particularly with poor reviews and retailers wishing to clear the item from inventory to stock better-rated computers. Retailers are afraid their inventory will not sell and they will have to dump the product for pennies on the dollar. They are looking for the consumer to look for a bargain deal, instead of a good product. A highly rated product will not drop in price as quickly.
A "new" electronic is not a good choice for travel. Tried and true is what you want.
Yes I now know that maybe that wasn't a great idea, but the model was about 5 months old, plus from what I read there were very few changes in the update from the previous model. One of the few criticisms I did see if the laptop. These days the product cycles are so short most computers and phones are relatively new. But yeah I guess next time I buy a computer I need one that has been around and has been tested. I never expected a brand new computer to fail and not be covered. The interesting thing is 4 years ago I bought a $250 Lenovo and it worked great for 4 years, yet when I upgraded to a nice machine it fails in 5 weeks. This is why I trusted the brand, great experience last time.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2016
Back in 2003, my husband and I moved to England for work. I bought a brand new Dell, and brought it. It arrived two days before we left. Luckily, we had no problems!
But here I think you are up a creek without a paddle. You cannot mail it back easily, Best Buy won't agree to a refund anyway, and to really fight this or try to get it repaired under warranty, you are going to have to fly home.
I think the only thing you can do is to get it repaired in Spain, without the warranty, which appears to be useless in any case.
It's a pity that you did not use a credit card for the purchase, since many offer protection against "lemons" like this.

Sep 27, 2018
Here is what 8s shown on the website when you look up the model number . This service provider refuses and Lenovo tells me sorry but your machine is not covered. It has the same specs and model name but really it's not the same machine type so it's not covered. They know I am in a bad situation being abroad so they are taking advantage

Attachments

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2018
Back in 2003, my husband and I moved to England for work. I bought a brand new Dell, and brought it. It arrived two days before we left. Luckily, we had no problems!
But here I think you are up a creek without a paddle. You cannot mail it back easily, Best Buy won't agree to a refund anyway, and to really fight this or try to get it repaired under warranty, you are going to have to fly home.
I think the only thing you can do is to get it repaired in Spain, without the warranty, which appears to be useless in any case.
It's a pity that you did not use a credit card for the purchase, since many offer protection against "lemons" like this.
Well in fact I did use a credit card! So in fact I have not really paid for it yet, only $40, but I don't want to hurt my credit score. So in fact I do perhaps have the one remaining bullet of a charge back, but I've never done that and not sure if it will work. But I have read that it can be used in situations like this.

Thanks for the input!

Jul 13, 2016
Well in fact I did use a credit card! So in fact I have not really paid for it yet, only $40, but I don't want to hurt my credit score. So in fact I do perhaps have the one remaining bullet of a charge back, but I've never done that and not sure if it will work. But I have read that it can be used in situations like this.

Thanks for the input!
I wasn't referring to a chargeback. Many credit cards have protection for defective merchandise. You should contact your credit card issuer and explain your situation and see if they can help. A chargeback is for when goods are not received, or fraudulent usage by someone other than yourself.

Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Yeah I looked it up, even the specific model yoga 730-15ikb.

It shows me that the approved service center is visonic madrid. Lenovo tech support even sent me that by email.

The problem is if you enter the serial number of the laptop, it shows that it has the IWS but is only covered in USA, Singapore, New Zealand and Australia.

They are telling me that the IWS is not valid in Spain because the yoga 730-15ikb sold in USA is different than yoga 730-15ikb sold in Spain or Europe and therefore they don't have to repair it. Because the fine print on the IWS says I am covered in any country where the machine is sold. So they use some technicality to say it's a different machine even though it's the same computer, same specs, same name, but the serial number of the computer is what they use to look up coverage and they say my machine is not covered in Europe for that reason.

The specific language of the iws states:

""Lenovo IdeaPad Limited International Warranty Service (Referred as "IWS") provides customers with warranty service even if they relocate their IdeaPads to another country. This warranty service is available wherever Lenovo or Lenovo resellers sell and service your particular machine type."

To me this wording is intentionally confusing and convoluted. How can a consumer be expected to know the difference when the customer support agents themselves don't know.

My computer model is sold in Spain, yet they claim the machine type is not. It can not be reasonably assumed that the consumer can navigate these differences and truly understand that the machine isn't covered internationally when the iws seems to Indicate that it is covered for travel and relocation .

Yes I now know that maybe that wasn't a great idea, but the model was about 5 months old, plus from what I read there were very few changes in the update from the previous model. One of the few criticisms I did see if the laptop. These days the product cycles are so short most computers and phones are relatively new. But yeah I guess next time I buy a computer I need one that has been around and has been tested. I never expected a brand new computer to fail and not be covered. The interesting thing is 4 years ago I bought a $250 Lenovo and it worked great for 4 years, yet when I upgraded to a nice machine it fails in 5 weeks. This is why I trusted the brand, great experience last time.
I think that you will need to get a Lenovo tech to verify in writing that your new purchase is not functioning, and then purchase a new computer in Spain with a local warranty. When you return to the US you will have verification that your Best Buy purchase failed within the warranty period and can then deal with Best Buy and Lenovo for service, replacement or whatever you can work out. If you are being told that the warranty does not cover the product in Spain I would not waste time with it now. If you need a working computer you should purchase one in Spain.

Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
This is interesting as the batter is not removable unless the computer is opened, in which case its warranty is invalidated. Strange because laptops are shipped all over the world all the time. Phones too. To consumers and to retailers. Not sure how this can be possible considering need of Now this leads me to believe I will have even more difficulty getting a refund.

I contacted a Best Buy contact listed in the link you provided and explained simply and asked nicely for a refund. We'll see what the response is.
World wide bulk shipments are by container ship and truck, not air. The restrictions are for air shipments.

Sep 19, 2015

International is much more complicated.
Lithium ion batteries can be shipped ground and sea easily, or by commercial shippers with special abilities to ship dangerous goods by air. Using the speciality dangerous goods shipper can be costly. There are all sorts of limits on battery size and such.

lap tops have been the subject of more scrutiny also with concerns about terrorism— there was a lap top ban from some countries.

All Lenovo needs to do is authorize payment to the Spanish repair person correct? And that is exactly what they are refusing to do?

Aug 29, 2015
I would do two things.
Contact the execs a Lenovo and get approval for the tech there in Spain to work on it in writing, and contact the credit card you used. If it is a lemon, see if you hav other coverage on it.

The fact that they sell the same model but claim it is different is very confusing.

Mar 14, 2018
I would do two things.
Contact the execs a Lenovo and get approval for the tech there in Spain to work on it in writing, and contact the credit card you used. If it is a lemon, see if you hav other coverage on it.

The fact that they sell the same model but claim it is different is very confusing.
It's not the same model even though it has similar specs. Electronics sold in the EU are often built using different components to avoid EU tariffs. That's why they use a different model number.

If the problem is the motherboard as the OP suspects, the Lenovo repair facility will only be able to swap it for the European version. This might work, but Lenovo has never tested the long term reliability of systems built from a mix of EU and US components. The EU motherboard may also require different software (device drivers). That's why they don't warranty the product in Europe.

Last edited: