Lemon law for a defective ASUS laptop

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 19, 2019
Hello,

I've purchased a laptop from ASUS back in 05/2018, which has been defective from the start. I didn't notice the problem until around July since I was busy moving to another country during that time, and did not get to use my laptop too much as I was trying to get things wrapped up at my workplace before the departure.

Anyways, here's what happened.

I started seeking advice for a stylus that did not work starting in August. In the meantime more problems started to arise, the most critical being constant blue screens.

After seeking help via email intermittently, I finally decided to visit a repair shop. The reason why I waited until December was because I was in South Korea during the time (I'm a Canadian and purchased the laptop from the USA) and while I inquired multiple times if I could visit a local repair shop in Korea, I was told that the only option was to send in to the USA repair shop. I did have international warranty and after multiple inquiries I was told that I was in fact eligible for international warranty.

Since I'm a freelancer and do ALL my works on my laptop, sending it away to the US for potentially a month or two was risky and would definitely affect my living status especially since I was living alone in South Korea and I was the only one supporting myself. I did explain these situations to ASUS multiple times.

Anyways starting in mid December I had visited the repair shop several times, and as of today they attempted repair by replacing ALL the components inside the laptop. They replaced the SSD today, which was the last component that they did not attempt to replace. Well, I tested it on, and I've encountered 6 blue screens within 2 hours.

FYI I do have at least one capture or video shots of each of the incidents that have occurred so far, and I've taken photos of every single blue screen (except one as the laptop was making weird loud noises and I had to shut it off immediately) that occurred today.

South Koreans have a law to replace or refund computers that have received three or more unsuccessful repairs. However, ASUS Korea told me that mine is not eligible as I purchased it from the States.

I tried to contact ASUS USA, and they are asking me to send it over to US. As I mentioned, I need a working laptop especially since even at this moment I'm assigned to projects. I also mentioned the extra costs and waste of time (transportation costs, lower quality in my work, costs for renting out laptops to finish urgent projects, in fact I had to give away on a contract as well), but ASUS instead tells me that I have to pay for the shipping cost as they do not cover international shipping cost.

I'm frustrated and tired of visiting the repair shop, attempting to contact ASUS, and experiencing all these losses on my part for an originally defective product.

Is there any action I can take? I did mention to ASUS that I'm considering to take legal actions as a last resort which all they did was apologize for the inconvenience. I've found out that lemon laws may be applicable for laptops, but I'm unsure what measures I should be taking now.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Where did you buy the laptop and from whom? Have you contacted the vendor where you purchased the laptop.?
Since you are likely to have to send this laptop somewhere, if a laptop is critical to your work, you should purchase another low end laptop that meets your minimum work requirements. In fact, if this item is as critical as you indicate, a backup is a very good idea even if you were not having the issues you are having.

Feb 19, 2019
Thanks for the inputs.

I purchased the laptop from Amazon US and had it shipped to South Korea.

I requested help via email for about 4 months to ASUS US, until I visited ASUS Korea repair center in person between Dec to today. I went into the shop about 7-8 times in person (2~3 hrs roundtrip)

I specifically chose a mid-high end laptop as it meets the specifications to run the softwares I need to use.

I have a backup of all my data. I've been constantly keeping a copy of my files since I was a teenager.

ASUS Korea is not acknowledging lemon law while there is one in Korea as my laptop is an international model. ASUS US is saying that I need to go through the painful process of repairing claiming that warranty procedure is diffefent for ASUS Korea as it's in a different region.

It's a frustrating situation.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
ASUS is correct. The models they sell in S Korea may not be the same that they sell here in the US. So the warranty they offer in S Korea is not the same that you would have on a computer purchased here. And if the voltage is 220 and you are using a US computer, the voltage could have damaged the computer even if you used a voltage converter. It happened to me in Europe.

We have company contacts for ASUS:

https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/asus/

Weihlac gave you the best solution (buy an inexpensive computer to keep working on) but I would be concerned about shipping it and having it returned since it has to go through Customs on the return and can get hung up there.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Thanks for the inputs.

I purchased the laptop from Amazon US and had it shipped to South Korea.

I requested help via email for about 4 months to ASUS US, until I visited ASUS Korea repair center in person between Dec to today. I went into the shop about 7-8 times in person (2~3 hrs roundtrip)

I specifically chose a mid-high end laptop as it meets the specifications to run the softwares I need to use.

I have a backup of all my data. I've been constantly keeping a copy of my files since I was a teenager.

ASUS Korea is not acknowledging lemon law while there is one in Korea as my laptop is an international model. ASUS US is saying that I need to go through the painful process of repairing claiming that warranty procedure is diffefent for ASUS Korea as it's in a different region.

It's a frustrating situation.
Have you contacted Amazon at any time?

Feb 19, 2019
Yes. I had some trouble logging into Amazon for a few weeks due to a security question, and the contact number they gave me would't connect.

I spammed on some random answers and somehow lucky guessed the answer literally minutes ago so Ive sent them a request.

Feb 19, 2019
I did contact them a couple times before. The password reset they attempted didnt work so they gave me a phone number which didnt go through either lol.

Well I was able to get in just now so I'll update once again once they reply back to me.

Feb 19, 2019
Well my 7 months of hell is over!

Amazon is letting me return the item.

Weihlac I can't thank you enough for giving the idea of contacting the vendor which made me attempt to get my Amazon account back which I wasnt able to access for these past few weeks and leading to the end of this painful journey.

Seriously you have no idea of all the pain and sorrow I went through for the last 7 months especially the past 3 months. Thank you thank you thank you!!

Feb 19, 2019
Quite frankly I was irritated with Amazon as they couldn't resolve my account issue. Somehow this laptop issue forced me to just spam out answers to this unbreakable security question and solved two of my longtime problems!

I did notify Amazon with a summary of all the services I went through.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Well my 7 months of hell is over!

Amazon is letting me return the item.

Weihlac I can't thank you enough for giving the idea of contacting the vendor which made me attempt to get my Amazon account back which I wasnt able to access for these past few weeks and leading to the end of this painful journey.

Seriously you have no idea of all the pain and sorrow I went through for the last 7 months especially the past 3 months. Thank you thank you thank you!!
You are welcome. Amazon appears in the forums mostly because of canceled accounts due to people violating their account agreement. Given the billions of transactions that Amazon is involved in, it is remarkable how few (and there are some, but not many) times the forum issues actually involve Amazon sales and product issues. They are very responsive to customer problems with defective products. Recently I received a defective item (admittedly inexpensive). They refunded my charges and did not even want the product returned after I reached them online. But any time I receive a problem order they have been immediately responsive, and pay for return shipments of defective products. I live in a retail desert and rely heavily on Amazon for many electronic items, although I do order my computers directly from the manufacturers.

Some other advice. If your business and livelihood are so dependent on a laptop, please purchase a backup computer. I'm sure you have seen many business travelers with two smartphones. You can be sure that many of them are carrying two laptops as well. It is a cost of doing business but preferable to being out of business.

When/if you get a new or back up laptop, turn it on, set it up, load all of your software immediately after receipt and make sure it works. You would not buy a new car and embark on a 3000 mile trip without being sure everything worked safely and reliably.

Also, back up everything to a cloud service as well as an outboard hard drive. Again great insurance, and not expensive.

Sep 19, 2015
Canitsir

That is great news. Like Weihlac I have had great customer service with Amazon.

I suspect that you had a problem logging into your amazon account because you set it up in North America and were trying to access it from a South Korean ISP -- so all the security questions were to prevent hacking. Once there was a problem with a security question the account went into security lock limbo.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Where did you buy the laptop and from whom? Have you contacted the vendor where you purchased the laptop.?
Since you are likely to have to send this laptop somewhere, if a laptop is critical to your work, you should purchase another low end laptop that meets your minimum work requirements. In fact, if this item is as critical as you indicate, a backup is a very good idea even if you were not having the issues you are having.
\\

Glad to hear your great news. I had an astonishing experience with Amazon similar to yours. They stood by me months after my purchase and sent me a new GPS. In my case it had been 8 or 9 months since the purchase, and it only took one phone call. I was so impressed that I signed up for Amazon Prime. I never expected such good CS from an online company, especially one the size of Amazon. Thanks so much for letting us know.

Last edited: