• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Unfortunately, you aren't due compensation when you opted to leave the cruise early. Did they offer to move you?

And you also booked an Italian cruise line which is VERY different than a US carrier because they cater to the European market, who ate smokers and some of the European lines still allow smoking in their ships. So cigarette burns in the carpet and poor air conditioning are not reasons to leave the ship. Many ships air conditioning doesn't cool the cabins as efficiently when the weather is extremely hot. I have this issue on every cruise I go on at night. Had you ever cruised on MSC before? Were you aware of their rules on smoking? Did you book through a travel agent that could have advised you about whstbgo expect?

Did they not have any cabins to move you to because the ship was full? Did you have travel insurance with trip interruption?

We have company contacts on top of our page. Write to MSC's customer service and nicely explain the cabin issues and ask for a credit towards another cruise. Remember you voluntarily left so you shouldn't "demand" anything, you need to almost beg for them to help.

Write to the customer service address we show and give them a week to reply. If they say no, then write to the first executive shown. If it's a no, repeat weekly all the way up the chain.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

Nov 14, 2016
Unfortunately, you aren't due compensation when you opted to leave the cruise early. Did they offer to move you?

And you also booked an Italian cruise line which is VERY different than a US carrier because they cater to the European market, who ate smokers and some of the European lines still allow smoking in their ships. So cigarette burns in the carpet and poor air conditioning are not reasons to leave the ship. Many ships air conditioning doesn't cool the cabins as efficiently when the weather is extremely hot. I have this issue on every cruise I go on at night. Had you ever cruised on MSC before? Were you aware of their rules on smoking? Did you book through a travel agent that could have advised you about whstbgo expect?

Did they not have any cabins to move you to because the ship was full? Did you have travel insurance with trip interruption?

We have company contacts on top of our page. Write to MSC's customer service and nicely explain the cabin issues and ask for a credit towards another cruise. Remember you voluntarily left so you shouldn't "demand" anything, you need to almost beg for them to help.

Write to the customer service address we show and give them a week to reply. If they say no, then write to the first executive shown. If it's a no, repeat weekly all the way up the chain.

Good luck and let us know what happens.
MSC's smoking policy is to NOT allow smoking in the rooms. Now there are numerous smoking places onboard (like in bars) and if the air intake for a cabin happens to be located near one of these areas it can quickly smell like smoke. I do agree with you that unless specifically stated, travelers should not expect a cabin or hotel room that smells very smoke-free. It should not smell like an ashtray either, but in my traveling experience some travelers tend to react more strongly (or entirely overreact) to the smell of smoke. I still remember the days that when you visited a restaurant there wasn't even a non-smoking section so I guess I have a tolerance built up to it. :)

The European version of air conditioning is not like the USA version. It only slightly cools the room by a handful of degrees, not dropping the temp 20 or 30. This is not something to generally complain about. I know there was a heat wave there recently and that caused difficulty on my trip to France (almost 100 degrees and the A/C - where available - just couldn't keep up) but you just deal with it.

Water pressure on a boat, much like being in a hotel, can vary from cabin to cabin. Unless there's no water this is generally nothing to get too excited to complain about.

Mario, did they refuse to move you or were all the staterooms full? Or did you not like your options if they did offer to move you? What was the "final straw" that caused you to disembark the cruise ship entirely prior to the termination of the cruise? What caused you to not be able to "take it" anymore? How many days were you on the ship? How many days was the entire cruise supposed to be?

I'm sorry but these are seemingly quite minor complaints and if presented as such to MSC will likely not be taken very seriously so I think we're going to need more detail to try to help you craft a complaint that may receive some action by MSC.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Why wouldn't they move you? What was the reason given?

In order for us to try to direct you we need to know everything that went on. You can't just be say "they wouldn't move us".

Was the ship full? Did they have no more cabins of the type you booked? What was their reasoning?