left with no coverage after using Enterprise plus reward points

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Dec 4, 2018
I rented a car from Enterprise back in July and had an accident. Police counted it at-fault. I had American Express cover the rental. What I didn’t know that when I used my Enterprise plus reward points for free day of rental on that trip that it voided American Express coverage and I got stuck with $13,000 bill. Is there any way this can be settled for a lesser amount?

Dec 19, 2014
Have you filed it with your personal auto insurance? American Express is secondary coverage if I am not mistaken. If you do not have a personal car insurance policy (because you don't own a car) I have no other advice than to try and settle for a lower amount with Enterprise.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
I rented a car from Enterprise back in July and had an accident. Police counted it at-fault. I had American Express cover the rental. What I didn’t know that when I used my Enterprise plus reward points for free day of rental on that trip that it voided American Express coverage and I got stuck with $13,000 bill. Is there any way this can be settled for a lesser amount?
Amex wording says that the "entire" rental must be paid for by the CC ( When you use your eligible Card to reserve and pay for the entire eligible vehicle rental )-thus denial of claim when points were used for partial payment. Not an obvious exclusion but it is in their terms.

Dec 4, 2018
Amex wording says that the "entire" rental must be paid for by the CC ( When you use your eligible Card to reserve and pay for the entire eligible vehicle rental )-thus denial of claim when points were used for partial payment. Not an obvious exclusion but it is in their terms.
I didn’t have my personal vehicle at time but I kept my progressive insurance on auto payments. And just happened that progressive sent me renewal paperwork to my old address and I moved twice. So I never received a renewal letter and they just cancelled my auto payments without even leaving me a voice mail or a follow up email.

Dec 19, 2014
I didn’t have my personal vehicle at time but I kept my progressive insurance on auto payments. And just happened that progressive sent me renewal paperwork to my old address and I moved twice. So I never received a renewal letter and they just cancelled my auto payments without even leaving me a voice mail or a follow up email.
Ouch. Based on what you wrote, you have no liability coverage, so if you damaged something other than the car, another party may be coming after you too.

Dec 4, 2018
Yes, a very painful situation and all because I used those stupid points. Do you think I could hire a lawyer and negotiate $13,000 for something less or not even bother and get a payment plan?

johnbaker

Verified Member
Oct 2, 2014
@Julia123 I'm not sure what you would use a lawyer for. If you were found at fault, you are going end up paying. You might try negotiating yourself. I would also definitely follow the advice on the rental car page on what to ask for as far as documents. Some of the $13,000 may not be recoverable on their end....