Left feeling helpless, lost, & alone stuck in a foreign country CHEAPOAIR

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jul 5, 2019
I am writing today because I know I am due some compensation for the travel to come home booked through CHEAPOAIR.

I was wronged and the compounded bad service I was given turned my way home into a total nightmare situation.
I booked my trip to Belgium back in March . Everything seemed good, I had paid for the travel insurance that if anything
happened or unforeseeable problem I would be covered, I also paid extra for the Premium Concierge Assistance in case I needed help
with anything which expedites you to a Priority assistance, in fact during one of my first calls to CheapOair they brought this fact to my attention.
That I was qualified to receive the expedited concierge service.
I make this trip every year in honor of our soldiers who gave their all in WW1 to Belgium where my great uncle is buried and this was my 3rd year and 4th
trip as I go for Memorial day and attended for the Centennial in November.
I always take the travel insurance were no matter what my trip is covered and the concierge service but have never had to use it.

The first leg of my trip going to Belgium went great other than the fact there was an issue with printing my boarding pass and checking in.
I had to go to the ticket counter first to get my boarding passes and then back to the luggage check in before I could board.
This was a real hassle and made me a little nervous because though I had arrived on time I had stood in the line to check my luggage
first and had to leave that line go to the ticket counter and then back to the check luggage line. But my flight all went good and I arrived with no difficulties in Brussels. This was May 23rd arriving May 24th.

Then on June 8th when I tried to check in 48hours before flight I was unable to do so there was some sort of error and I would need to check in at the airport.
I immediately called CheapOAir customer Service in which I was on hold for 9 minutes then was informed I had expedited concierge saervice and they would transfer me. I was then on hold an additional 35 minutes where I was told I would have to check in at the airport.
I had to verify my upgrade with Austrian Air that there would be no problem with my luggage. In which with the business class I was allowed 3 in total bags at 70lbs ea and 2 carry ons plus a personal item all Priority check in.
Austrian Air confirmed this but I would have to check in through Brussels Air at the airport.
On June 9th I was suppose to take my 2 packages downstairs at 3 am to have the hotel clerk finish up on the shipping and have everything in order to be picked up from there after I was gone because my flight left at 6:50 am on the 10th which was a monday and I have used at this hotel for the same concierge service to send them after I left . I was told by the night shift that I could leave them with the paperwork for shipping with the her. I went down to the desk at 3am only to be told by the clerk an older gentlemen that they did not provide this service and there would be no other clerk there until 7am. I explained to him my situation and he was quite rude telling me they did not provide this service I would have to get them sent somewhere else he would not even leave them for the woman who would be on at 7am I had to take them with me.
I was quite upset and went back to my room and tried to reach any service who would ship them not able to reach anyone I again call the concierge service at CheapOair and again was placed on hold for 15 min then 45 min for the expedited concierge service. All the numbers they gave me to contact including the Shipping service and the Airport numbers were either the wrong numbers no longer working or no one answered until 7am. Now I am totally devastated I dont know how my packages will be sent home, I cannot leave them . I am very upset , at the parking structure i am in an accident , no one is hurt but there is a small damage done to the other persons car and we have to exchange information. Now I am cutting it close and I get to the checkin to be told I have to go to the tickets sales counter to get my boarding passes, I need to hurry as the gates will be closing soon. I stand in line at the ticket counter only to be told I will not be able to get to the gate I have therefore missed my flight and any connecting flight as well as the monies I paid are lost so is the upgrade. I tell them I am a Star Alliance member as well as a Miles and More. They dont need my acct numbers and there are no flights available. The cost to get home with the same flights would be $7000.00, I immediately call CheapOair again for help I am on hold for 23 min transferred after I told them I needed help and explained the situation,they transferred me and no one ever came bag to the phone in fact they hung up. I called back again and was left on hold. I was left completely at the mercy of the Ticket sales counter, None of my itinerary is good, there are no flights available to get me to Vienna to make my connecting flight home, I am beyond distraught and am emotionally devastated .They start telling me I have too much luggage I can not possibly take it all that the bags I had paid for were no good. They go back and forth Brussels Air tells me they cannot exchange my ticlket for another time besides they are filled there are no other flights . No one call Austrian Air to see what is available or if I can get a later flight. I am afraid to leave my place because I have no idea what to do my travel plan is not doing anyyhing for me and neither is my concierge service. I am stuck with my luggage and 2 boxes and am getting no help. I am so emotionally distraught at the whole situation . I am stuck in a foreign country at the mercy of the ticket sales counter who are not helping me at all in fact they are telling me that I have put them in a terrible stressful spot that they cannot possibly do anything for me.Finally they tell me I can get a ticket for premium economy on the first leg and coach for the connecting flight home for $2314.00 I would have to pay extra for my liuggage as it is all overweight and I have excess bags as well as 2 boxes, I tell them my bags are not over weight and that I have always had the 3 bags at 70 and 2 carryons plus personal included in my fairs that I had checked ahead of time to verify I would have no problem. But they tell me again all of that is no longer
any good this is a whole new deal, I tell them what about with my Premium economy and upgrade, and my Star Alliance membership and my miles & More.
It does not matter they weigh my bags and I am over weight because flight with US airlines only allow 2 50lb and 1 carryon there fore my bags are 51lbs and 52 plus another 35 and 2 boxes are excess and the excessive extra carry on will cost me $1285.00. I have no choice but to do this.
At this point I cannot believe this is happening and then I can only use 1 CC to pay for my flight so I have to have one that will cover the 2314.00 and the same with the bags. I barely make the flights I am booked on, and I pay for the upgrade to Business which is for the second connecting flight of 650.00.
I am such a emotional wreck and so devastated that no one could help me out even though I paid the extra for the services to help take care of just this kind of problem and was left at the mercy of the ticket sales, now I am stuck I have no extra money for anything what started as a wonderful trip has now left me completely drained, I cant even begin to grasp that it was costing me more than $5000.00 just to get home. Being treated like I was and how could I have done this to them. I barely made it to my flight . I could not put it out of my mind that this was all my fault according to the ticket sales people. How wrong I was for traveling with so much luggage even though I tried to explain that my original flight I was taken care of. It did not matter it was all my fault I should not have missed my original flight. I am feeling down and bad enough with this on me now. If only the Expedited Concierge Service would have helped me out like they said or any of the memberships or Customer Service I had paid for would have done what they were suppose to in Assisting me with
my situation , if I had not had to go to the Ticket Sales to check in and could have checked in by phone or online, if I had not lost all that time trying to get to my original flight between the time wasted on the phone and the services not received I would have made it. And all the distress that I was placed in and the emotional devastation. When I called in to have something done I was offered a $12.95 refund and when I asked for a supervisor or someone else to speak to who could help me the call was disconnected. When I called again no one ever came to the phone.

In all fairness I feel I should be compensated for half of the original cost plus the upgrade paid for extra but not used of 750.00 which is 732.00 for a total of $1482.00 plus the cost of the ticket of rebooking of 2314.00 and the baggage cost of $1285.00 less the 2 excess boxes of $354.00 I would have had to pay that anyway which brings the total to 4547.00 and all the emotional distress and and time lost on phone calls that never helped me in anyway. The amount I thoink is fair is $5000.00.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
You arrived at the airport too late and missed your flight. None of that was the airlines fault. Period end of story. I’m sooooo sorry your wonderful trip had such a bad ending. The short answer is you are entitled to NO compensation. I’m so sorry.

You can however write to the airline and ask them for an “Exception” to their policies and ask them give you a Credit to use on a future flight. Remember to be Very Polite and brief. Do NOT send the info you shared with use as it will get your request ignored. Leave out all emotion and info about your hotel and packages out of your message as that means nothing to the airline and has no bearing on the real issue. I would concentrate on the Auto Accident as the reason for your delay and offer proof of the accident if possible.

As to the extra bag expense they are correct your newly purchased tickets had different rules and you did indeed have over weight bags based on the ticket fare you purchased. You won’t be getting that money either. Good luck!

Jul 30, 2018
Your narrative is far too long and contains an extraordinary amount of irrelevant information and emotion. I was not able to decipher what happened and stopped reading it. When writing a self-advocacy piece it is important to list only the facts of the events in a bullet point format. Keep out all emotion and extraneous information such as your great uncle being buried in Belgium. Realize that the person reading your letter did not cause your problem, yet is in a position to help you. A super long letter with distracting information will most likely be put aside.

Feb 3, 2017
This does sound like an incredibly intense, stressful situation and I am sorry this happened to you.

Seems some of the delay came from not being able to send the boxes; that might have been avoided if you had thought to send them a day or two before your flight home. That is hindsight, I know but something from which to learn.

Too, the huge amount of luggage is surprising as being allowed. If you have that much in future, I would confirm and be sure to have it in writing that so much luggage is allowed.

Travel insurance doesn't (usually, in my experience) cover costs incurred due to arriving late to check-in for your flight unless one has evidence of a significant delay incurred due to circumstances out of the traveler's control. "Evidence" being key to proving the cause of the delay.

Once the check-in closes, it is closed. They can't open it for a late arrival and the days where they might have put you on a later flight for no extra monies are gone.

If you do have some proof of the accident you had (as mentioned above, that might (not a guarantee though) get your letter some attention. There is no harm in writing and asking.

Once again, the advice is to book directly with the airlines, not a third party like Cheapoair - when things go wrong, dealing directly with an airline can make things less complicated.

Your letter is far too long and difficult to read. Don't blame anyone else or include the personal emotional comments. You really have to simplify it, point by point or it will likely not get read.

In future: please do book directly with an airline, build in even more time than you think you will need to be at the airport for a flight, do try to take care of big issues (like the shipping of the boxes) a few days in advance of a flight.

Sep 12, 2018
You want compensation from the airline. Why? The airline didn’t offer you the wrong information about how and when to ship your packages. The airline didn’t decide that it was more important to argue with the hotel clerk about those packages than it was to go to the airport on time. The airline didn’t have an accident in the parking garage. The airline didn’t show up late to the airport. You did all that. Now. What *did* the airline do? It held an open business-class seat for you to travel home. When you didn’t show up, and you didn’t notify the airline that you were going to be late and miss your flight, they likely flew that seat empty, or gave a free upgrade to an elite-status passenger. What they didn’t do is have time to resell the seat for the price you paid. They also clearly disclosed their terms regarding your tickets and baggage allowance, which you obviously knew about, because you paid for the upgrade to business class and called to verify what those allowances were. But you missed that flight, and now you want them to not only give you the business class seat that they held for you for free (refund your upgrade and half the original fare), you *also* want them to pay for the walk up fare and baggage fees to get you home that were only necessary because of your actions. CheapoAir probably should have answered your calls in a timely manner, but there’s realistically not much, if anything, CheapoAir could have done for you at 3 am about international shipping, other than to tell you to get yourself to the airport before you missed your flight.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I wasn’t able to read this entire thing but what I could make out is the airline did nothing wrong. You arrived too late for your flight. The extra services you paid for don’t include getting you to the airport on time or shipping packages the day before instead of at 3 am or a car accident in the garage.

I don’t see any compensation due but you can certainly try using our company contacts.

Sep 19, 2015
I am sorry you had such a difficult time home. But I have to say you are not going to get $5,000 and any request will be ignored if that is what you ask for.

It is a shame that the night clerk did not want to take responsibility for the boxes -- but I have found that the weekend night clerks are often not so helpful or knowledgeable. It is not a desirable shift.

I will not make any negative comments about the amount of baggage -- I have traveled with a lot at times, and for those trips I have flown business class because the cost of the excess baggage adds up and can get close to the cost of a discounted business class ticket from where I am.

So I understand the amount of luggage.

But for the life of me I do not understand why, after being told no at 3 am by the night clerk, that you bothered to call the "concierge" -- if you could not find anything why would they? I would never book with cheapoair -- but their support package is not a concierge -- it is a way to not pay their rebooking fees or service fees (which are in addition to any airline fee and start at $50) and allegedly makes one wait less time for customer assistance -- it is not a true concierge that makes dinner reservations, or finds a doctor in a foreign country -- I just tried to do a mock booking and see that Cheapoair offered -- the screenshot is attached -- the premium level is not even the highest level and is just to waive their service fees.

The first thing to do is go to the airport -- at worst, one would have to pay for the two extra boxes but still get on the booked flights. Instead time was lost on hold.

If there is any place that can solve this, it is at the airport. Airports have businesses open at unusual hours.

And if one wanted to check, one can go to the airport website and see what businesses are open and what services are available such as the DHL desk at Brussels airport:

Courier company DHL has its own service desk in the departure hall. For example, if you have items that are not allowed on board the aircraft and have been refused at the security checkpoint, you can quickly and easily send them to your destination with DHL.

Providing an overview of goods that can be refused on board is difficult, because the regulations are quite complex. Moreover, airlines sometimes use different procedures and criteria, such as for the transport of electronic devices with lithium batteries.

The DHL Delivery Service desk is located at the end of check-in rows 2 and 3 in the departure hall and is open every day from 3 am to 11 pm.

https://www.brusselsairport.be/en/passengers/at-the-airport/services-at-the-airport/baggage-services

If DHL was not available then the airline would have charged a few hundred euros per box -- while not a small amount of money, it is better than losing the entire value of a ticket.

As far the airline is concerned, you arrived too late for the 6:50 flight -- and the cut off is for the first EU flight is 40 minutes.

Once you had to fly economy the economy baggage allowance comes to play. Did you try to shift some of the items in the baggage that was over 50 lbs into the bag that was 35 lbs?

From the airline's point of view, they had nothing to do with you missing the outbound flight. And you were the client of Cheapoair, which operates via call centers and there is no personal touch or service, despite what level of service support that was booked.

I have had my fair share of travel mishaps -- luggage breaks the night before and it is a Sunday in the quiet countryside in Europe Yes. Tire blow out and rim destroyed on the motorway in a foreign country -- yes. Misread the bus timetable and stranded in a different city during a day trip? Yes. And when I was a student and traveling on a low budget -- more problems than I can count. So there is no claim to perfection. One has to think quickly and try to salvage the situation and prioritize and improvise -- such as getting to the flight on time.

If there was a police report for the car accident there may be a way to make an insurance claim.

I am sorry if I sound unsympathetic, but there are times when one has to be self reliant. I always hope for the best but know that the worst can happen.

Attachments

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
What an awful experience. I would suggest that you make a list of the facts in chronological order. Nobody is going to read a letter like this, so I hope you've had time to make a list. Stick to the facts ... if you repost it here we can review to see if we have more advice. At this point, I couldn't even finish your narrative, it's just too rambling and full of irrelevant information. If we understand exactly what happened, there may be some helpful avenues for you to pursue. As for the amount and weight of your luggage and packages, that is certainly nobody's business but yours, and I'm sorry anyone here even mentioned it.

Feb 3, 2017
I did not mean my comment about the luggage to be a criticism -

I have no interest in how much or little luggage someone has but I was not aware one could take this amount (I thought there were limits and since I never have very much, I didn't know) - so, I thought it would be good to have it all 100% confirmed as she seemed to have some push back re: luggage at the airport among all the other problems.

Apologies if it seemed critical; it was not my intent.

Sep 19, 2015
I did not mean my comment about the luggage to be a criticism -

I have no interest in how much or little luggage someone has but I was not aware one could take this amount (I thought there were limits and since I never have very much, I didn't know) - so, I thought it would be good to have it all 100% confirmed as she seemed to have some push back re: luggage at the airport among all the other problems.

Apologies if it seemed critical; it was not my intent.
I did not take your comments at criticism of the luggage amount, I was trying to preempt any comments of "I traveled for 3 months with a carry one" type of comment. There are times people need to carry a lot of luggage -- I have done it, and booked business class after running the numbers of additional luggage in economy class or commercial shipping. The extra 20 lbs per bag in business and more allowed makes a big difference as overweight luggage and extra pieces adds up. When I have had a lot of luggage or had to pay extra I am certain to get to the airport even earlier especially in Europe where one usually has to go to another counter to pay.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
The amount of luggage is the least of the issue. Waiting until 3 am to ship packages is what started the whole downturn. Why was this done at 3am? Night clerks are there are only there for emergencies- what hotel offers shipping at that time of day?

Had those packages been shipped during the last day- and not at 3am, this entire story would probably be different as the OP probably wouldn’t have missed the flight.

The “concierge” service sold by Cheapo is useless. The only thing that applied to OPs circumstances is the “premium” time on hold- and if the lengths are indicative of premium service, God help the folks that don’t buy it. I’d be asking for a refund of that $12.95 as that’s all the OP is entitled to- he paid for a service he certainly didn’t get.

I would like to know the hotel the OP stayed in to see their shipping policy. If they offer 24 hour shipping, then he didn’t receive that either-
I have never heard of a hotel offering that.

Sep 19, 2015
The amount of luggage is the least of the issue. Waiting until 3 am to ship packages is what started the whole downturn. Why was this done at 3am? Night clerks are there are only there for emergencies- what hotel offers shipping at that time of day?

Had those packages been shipped during the last day- and not at 3am, this entire story would probably be different as the OP probably wouldn’t have missed the flight.

The “concierge” service sold by Cheapo is useless. The only thing that applied to OPs circumstances is the “premium” time on hold- and if the lengths are indicative of premium service, God help the folks that don’t buy it. I’d be asking for a refund of that $12.95 as that’s all the OP is entitled to- he paid for a service he certainly didn’t get.

I would like to know the hotel the OP stayed in to see their shipping policy. If they offer 24 hour shipping, then he didn’t receive that either-
I have never heard of a hotel offering that.
Neil I have no idea what is being referred to as a “concierge”. There is a service fee for dealing with cheapos fees and hold times — that is it. There is also a concierge service with the tripmate travel insurance offered by Cheapo and this service is provided by a company called One Call worldwide travel assistance. but I do not know who the OP was calling as it was stated that Cheapo was called. There

At 3 am after being told no by the night clerk the prudent thing to do would be go to the airport for the 6:50 am flight and not waste time calling Cheapo. At the airport one can check for shipping — such as DHL or the post office — or pay the airline for excess baggage and get on the flight— either of those options would cost so much less than missing a flight.

A real travel agent would have said “go to the airport” and to not miss the flight, especially when calling after 3 am and flight is at 650 am.

The OP was charged $375 for two extra boxes and could have just paid that after going straight to airport and skipping the 60 minutes on the phone with Cheapo.

The OP had to go to ticket sales to pay for excess luggage which is common in Europe — there are no credit card machines at check in counter. At times it can be a wait.

These OTAs and their agents are just booking agents and not true travel professionals and the fees for a premium service package which still has extended holds is a sign of a shoddy company.

I am sorry that the OP lost so much money when on such a meaningful trip to visit the grave of a relative who died in a brutal war.

The OP should write to Cheapo about their service package with a concise letter. Even at the airport they provided dreadful service.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I hope this post is a lesson to people about using an OTA. They are nothing more than a booking service and provide no customer service whatsoever if things don’t go smoothly. At 3 am there might be one or two people on an “emergency” line. The OP paid $12.95 for a useless “service” and that is truly all he is due back.

This service the OP mentions is not a concierge service at all. If you click on the link for what this provides that Christina pictured, it offers “faster” phone service, a waiver of Cheapo Airs cancellation fees if you have to cancel your flight (not the airlines) and free help rescheduling a flight if the airline cancels your flight.

Cheapo sells Travel Assistance Global Card that offers “concierge” service but it is not travel insurance- it’s assistance. And it costs 9.95- since the OP was offered $12.95 from Cheapo, I am assuming this is not what he purchased.

I’m sorry that such an honorable gesture ended like this, but better planning if things had to be shipped would have avoided the issue with missing the flight and the excessive luggage fees due to having to buy an economy ticket.

Feb 3, 2017
It is interesting/helpful to learn (though late for this poster) about the airport having DHL shipping services.

I've never even thought to check if some airports have this service. I realize they all may not have it, but it is good to know to check if ever needed.

Apr 19, 2017
If you have an administrative task to do on your trip, in this case sending those boxes, always allow a full day, especially in Europe. You will be dealing with an entertaining combination of bureaucracy, wildcat strikes, critical offices being closed, and the incompetence of uncaring personnel, often in multiple languages in which you are not conversational.

You've seen this situation so often in the movies - but you never knew that those were documentaries, did you?

Sep 19, 2015
If you have an administrative task to do on your trip, in this case sending those boxes, always allow a full day, especially in Europe. You will be dealing with an entertaining combination of bureaucracy, wildcat strikes, critical offices being closed, and the incompetence of uncaring personnel, often in multiple languages in which you are not conversational.

You've seen this situation so often in the movies - but you never knew that those were documentaries, did you?
Do you actually do any business in Europe? I do, and while the system is different, dealing with international shipping and customs everywhere is a bureaucracy -- even in the US. It does not take a full day to ship boxes from Europe -- I even did it from Greece to the US in the 1990s using a pocket dictionary for communication. And I did it from France last November.

And to complain about multiple languages in a foreign country -- well nothing is stopping one from learning another language. Or do you expect everyone everywhere to address you in English.

Wildcat strikes are not that common in Europe and most strikes are announced. The rights and treatment of workers and consumers is far more protected in most European countries -- which is why they have more effective legislation like EU 261; and the US has what?

There is no reason to be so condescending; the system is different but not ridiculously so. There is no reason to make it sound so challenging for people to send their souvenirs or whatever home when traveling.

Apr 19, 2017
Do you actually do any business in Europe? I do, and while the system is different, dealing with international shipping and customs everywhere is a bureaucracy -- even in the US. It does not take a full day to ship boxes from Europe -- I even did it from Greece to the US in the 1990s using a pocket dictionary for communication. And I did it from France last November.
I started life as being European myself and still visit often, so I’m speaking from experience.

No matter where you live, you get used to what is involved in tasks like sending packages. But whenever you are overseas, these assumed routines can change, often in unexpected ways. No, it hardly ever takes a full day to arrange a shipment - but as we see in LW’s account, all it takes is some bad initial information and unexpected extra steps, and your routine task could take much longer than you expected it to. Just because you’re used to dropping something off at UPS on the way home from work, don’t expect to be able to do the same thing in Belgium just before your flight.

Sep 19, 2015
I started life as being European myself and still visit often, so I’m speaking from experience.

No matter where you live, you get used to what is involved in tasks like sending packages. But whenever you are overseas, these assumed routines can change, often in unexpected ways. No, it hardly ever takes a full day to arrange a shipment - but as we see in LW’s account, all it takes is some bad initial information and unexpected extra steps, and your routine task could take much longer than you expected it to. Just because you’re used to dropping something off at UPS on the way home from work, don’t expect to be able to do the same thing in Belgium just before your flight.
The OP was dealing with a hotel at 3 am.... maybe a full service business oriented hotel may have a business center that does that but at 3 am?

Even going to UPS or Fedex to send something abroad required a customs declaration— maybe even a commercial invoice. So there will be paperwork and bureaucracy there. There is a big difference in sending something domestic versus international — in every country. I have patiently waited at US customs as the agent looks up harmonized codes and tax rates when I have declared personal purchases from abroad above the $800 exemption.

But to me it is just odd to complain about corporations and their power and also complain about workers exercising their right to strike against such corporations— it sounds anti corporate only when it is convenient or beneficial — ie flight cancellation and EU 261 — but pro corporate when workers exercise their right to strike against such corporations.

Dec 12, 2016
Your narrative is far too long and contains an extraordinary amount of irrelevant information and emotion. I was not able to decipher what happened and stopped reading it. When writing a self-advocacy piece it is important to list only the facts of the events in a bullet point format. Keep out all emotion and extraneous information such as your great uncle being buried in Belgium. Realize that the person reading your letter did not cause your problem, yet is in a position to help you. A super long letter with distracting information will most likely be put aside.
I was ready to give up on reading. Way tooooooo long. Besides, when I see people traveling with so much "luggage" bags, boxes. I wish they would be fined $500 for each luggage, not to mention 70 lbs/each.Please. I travel all over the world with a carry on and a personal item, but that's just me. Another observation here is.....Some Americans travel overseas, and they expect everybody all over the world to cater to them as they are catered here in the US. Sorry the world is not at NOBODY"S feet, and they don't have to offer anything someone expects. That Cheapoair handled the ticket purchase and promised consierge service etc. well, their name explains it all. It would have been cheaper to go to a TA sit down and pay$50 for service and might have saved some time and frustration in the end, or just deal directly with the airlines. A 3rd party ticket seller like "cheapoair" is interested only in a SALE, that's all.

Sep 19, 2015
I was ready to give up on reading. Way tooooooo long. Besides, when I see people traveling with so much "luggage" bags, boxes. I wish they would be fined $500 for each luggage, not to mention 70 lbs/each.Please. I travel all over the world with a carry on and a personal item, but that's just me. «

I do not think it is helpful to criticize someone for the amount of luggage they carry. Great that you can fly all over the world with a carry on and as you said it is just you. Others can not.

And saying people should be fined for a lot of luggage? Well I hope I do not run into any such judgmental travelers at the airport. For some things ist is more economical and less of an administrative (ie customs) hassle to bring them as luggage versus shipping.

There are reasons people have to check luggage — such as the liquid restrictions — (maybe someone has a medicated shampoo or other necessary liquids and too many to fit in the baggy). Maybe someone is flying for an event or work and has books papers etc that are too heavy for the carry on — Austrian has weight limits on the carry on as do many others. And it is enforced. Not everyone is just flying for a holiday where they have the leisure time to wash casual clothes repeatedly.

The OP had previously been extended a courtesy by the same hotel — but the person who agreed to do it again was not on duty.

The OP made a lot of mistakes — booking with Cheapo was one. Not leaving immediately for the airport was another.