Layover times

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 15, 2017
I have a 30 minute layover in philadelphia airport. Assuming it will take 15 min. to get off the plane, if we are lucky, I worry we will miss our flight to MSP. Isnt there a minimal layover time required?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You will not make a 30 minute connection. Minimum layover is usually 40-45 minutes depending on the airline.

Who booked this connection? Call your airline ASAP and try to change the flight. You should leave at least an hour in between - two hours is better.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
I have a 30 minute layover in philadelphia airport. Assuming it will take 15 min. to get off the plane, if we are lucky, I worry we will miss our flight to MSP. Isnt there a minimal layover time required?
What is your actual itinerary? Depending on the origin of your flight you may have more or less than the time listed on your schedule. Is your flight to PHL typically early or late? You can look this up on : https://flightaware.com/live/

Sep 19, 2015
I can believe this is a legal connection I have gotten suggested itineraries with 38 minutes connecting time at Ohare which is larger— and no I did not book those tickets - think the MCT is 29 minutes which is unrealistic.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I'm assuming that this is all on one tix and you booked directly with the airline. (If not, the following doesn't apply.)Call them and rebook, Lynn. We see this baloney about "legal connection times" a great deal. I've had hundreds of 40-50 minute connections in Houston, an airport I know well, but I had status on the airline and I knew that they'd take care of me. For most pax, it makes no sense at all, and you're the one who suffers if the connection is missed.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
jsn55 is correct. Did you have a flight booked and then the airline made a change in schedule? I’ve seen this happen before and a call to the airline asking to e rebooked worked.

What I would suggest is checking the airline to see if they have another flight later and ask to be on that flight instead of that’s what happened.

Jan 22, 2015
Colorado
Most airlines close the gate at least 10 minutes before the scheduled departure. So assuming it takes 15 minutes to get off of the plane, you would have 5 minutes to make the next flight. Not nearly enough time

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
just wondering what are the gate numbers for the flight and when is the next available flight to your destination
There's no way to determine gate numbers ahead of time. Gates can change for a number of reasons, and even an hour before the flight arrives or departs. The pax must be alert ... my flight's gate changed in Minneapolis last year and they made no announcement, nor did they post the change on the original gate. Some unfortunate Delta agent happened to be at the "old" gate so I could tell him how I thought he should run his airline before I departed for the new gate.

May 26, 2018
Most airlines close the gate at least 10 minutes before the scheduled departure. So assuming it takes 15 minutes to get off of the plane, you would have 5 minutes to make the next flight. Not nearly enough time
Besides which your seats would most likely be given to standby passengers before you could get there. If you are arriving PHL on a regional aircraft, you'll likely have to wait for a bus to take you to the main terminal. You are extremely NOT likely to make a 30 minute connection at PHL!

Sep 15, 2017
The short 30 min layover was done by Delta. We are flying to Philidelphia from Charleston, and from their home to MSP. I will contact the airline and see if they will change it. It doesn't sound like there is a specific requirement on minimum layover time. Thanks everyone. Lynn Marie