LAX-based Staff: Need Your Lost Baggage Advice & Insider Info

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jul 11, 2019
Employees of LAX airport, Norwegian Air, or the contractor(s) either of these businesses use for baggage/check-in services: I need your insider perspectives, and I’m even offering a hefty reward if you can find and secure the return of my checked bag.

So here’s the story.

On my direct flight from Los Angeles (LAX) to Stockholm (ARN), Norwegian Airlines straight up LOST my checked bag.

When I reported the bag lost at ARN and gave their clerk my baggage receipt, he said there was no record of it ever being scanned into the system.

During check-in, I presented it to the clerk at LAX and placed it on the scale, as usual. Baggage tag was securely fastened. The clerk checked my passport and ticket and sent me on my way. But the airport was busy af that day and all the staff seemed super stressed and overburdened.

I’ve reported it lost in every way possible - with ARN airport immediately upon landing, where I received an IPR case number, etc; with Aviator (Norwegian’s 3rd party baggage service at ARN); with LAX Lost and Found through their online form; and of course with Norwegian Air through their email claim form plus multiple phone calls and case escalations.

Based on the information I’ve been given, it seems all identifying tags must have been ripped off somewhere along the line, or otherwise it should have been scanned somewhere along the line and identified (right?!?).

Also based on the above facts, I have a suspicion the bag never left LAX.

Norwegian customer service has been a joke. I ran all around ARN to their Lost And Found and the Aviator baggage service desk. I’ve been checking the LAX Lost and Found website with the updates lost bag photos.

Its been over 21 days now, but I’m not giving up and calling it a loss.

So my questions to folks with some behind-the-scenes knowledge are:

What happens to bags in this situation, per current airport standards? Is my bag just sitting somewhere, uncategorized and without a tag, at LAX airport? What possibly could have happened to it - totally stolen, seized by TSA without any report back to me, put on the wrong plane, etc? HOW was it never even scanned into the system?!

How can I get my bag back if it has NO identifying info on/inside it?

And most importantly, what person/company/airport department/etc at LAX can I contact to actually care about finding my bag while I’m out of the country?

I’m not kidding about the reward. If you can find my bag and have it flown to me by Norwegian to Stockholm, I will pay you. My entire LIFE was in that bag - 90% of my wardrobe, all of my shoes, all of my make-up/cosmetics, gifts for friends, and my motorcycle leather gear and boots.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Norwegian Air is an ultra-low-cost air carrier that has been flirting with bankruptcy. Their "customer service" is virtually non-existent.

If the baggage tags were removed for some reason and you did not have any identifying information in the luggage there may be no way to retrieve your bag. You should always have identifying information INSIDE your luggage, to include a copy of your itinerary. Do you have any photos of the bag and its contents, or can you find a picture of the bag online? If there is no ID in/on the bag the airline/airport is looking for a generic brown/black/beige etc bag.

Hopefully, you still have your luggage check tag. If the bag has been lost for over 21 days, you can initiate a claim for lost items up to the limit allowed by the carrier.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I am so sorry for your loss. I know exactly how you feel. But these budget airlines are low cost for a reason - they don't have any customer service. Weilhac explained it all. While there's a slim possibility that your bag may show up some day, it's not likely. If someone at LAX opened it and walked off with your gear, there's little anyone can do. I don't suppose you had any ID inside the bag, or in one of the outer pockets? That's the only thing that will save a bag if the tags get torn off. My sympathies. Don't give up on Norwegian, perhaps a miracle will happen and your bag will be returned.

Sep 19, 2015
What happens when you enter the information at Worldtracer?

The baggage system is largely automated on conveyor belts. Once it leaves you it is on a path of conveyor belts and automatic scanning. It is falls off and tags are ripped it is more of a challenge.

Did the check in agent put that little tag on the side of the luggage with the bar code? Were all the old little sticky tags taken off?

Likely it fell off a conveyor belt -- .

Someone eventually goes through the descriptions and lost bags --- such as Mary Smith lost a large purple with wheels -- but it is a slow process. No one is actually running around the back of LAX actively looking for a particular bag.

Now that it has been 21 days --- well, they could still find it but I would start the process to have it declared lost.

Are you in LA or Sweden or elsewhere?

Sorry this happened it must be very aggravating.

Jul 11, 2019
Thanks for all the replies, everyone!

My bag was actually rather unique. It’s a dark olive green, military style duffel with a red TSA-approved combo lock on top. I’ve given stock photos of the bag to every agency with whom I’ve filed a lost baggage claim.

I think I might be getting somewhere now, as I’ve made contact with Menzies, the baggage services contractor that Norwegian uses at LAX. They seem very eager to help.

In short, what I need is to have my voice heard loud enough to have someone care enough to do exactly what Christina H said doesn’t usually happen - get someone to physically go looking for the bag in the places tag-less bags end up in these situations.

Considering how much I paid to check this bag, this shouldn’t be unreasonable. I’m chalking this up to corporate laziness, and the fact that most folks don’t go this far to find their lost bags. They just call it a loss and give up. That’s not me. I refuse to bend over and let a big corporation screw me when the solution is so simple when everyone works together, and customers are treated like more than a dollar sign.

And as for “low cost” airline? My economy class ticket was NOT cheap!

Obviously there’s nothing I can do now about what’s NOT in or outside the bag. I paid the airline an extra fee to take care of my bag, and they failed, regardless of what contact information should or should not have been necessary to provide inside the bag. Again, don’t let the corporations convince you that it’s YOUR fault when they lose your bag! THEY are responsible for the baggage tag/barcode being ripped off, and I’m not letting them get to shirk their responsibility.

I’ve also posted my story to Reddit and I’ve gathered some useful info from former LAX staff as well as found a friendly forum member who is willing to head to LAX and see if a physical body and voice might make a difference in getting things moving forward.

Jul 30, 2018
Thanks for all the replies, everyone!

My bag was actually rather unique. It’s a dark olive green, military style duffel with a red TSA-approved combo lock on top. I’ve given stock photos of the bag to every agency with whom I’ve filed a lost baggage claim.

I think I might be getting somewhere now, as I’ve made contact with Menzies, the baggage services contractor that Norwegian uses at LAX. They seem very eager to help.

In short, what I need is to have my voice heard loud enough to have someone care enough to do exactly what Christina H said doesn’t usually happen - get someone to physically go looking for the bag in the places tag-less bags end up in these situations.

Considering how much I paid to check this bag, this shouldn’t be unreasonable. I’m chalking this up to corporate laziness, and the fact that most folks don’t go this far to find their lost bags. They just call it a loss and give up. That’s not me. I refuse to bend over and let a big corporation screw me when the solution is so simple when everyone works together, and customers are treated like more than a dollar sign.

And as for “low cost” airline? My economy class ticket was NOT cheap!

Obviously there’s nothing I can do now about what’s NOT in or outside the bag. I paid the airline an extra fee to take care of my bag, and they failed, regardless of what contact information should or should not have been necessary to provide inside the bag. Again, don’t let the corporations convince you that it’s YOUR fault when they lose your bag! THEY are responsible for the baggage tag/barcode being ripped off, and I’m not letting them get to shirk their responsibility.

I’ve also posted my story to Reddit and I’ve gathered some useful info from former LAX staff as well as found a friendly forum member who is willing to head to LAX and see if a physical body and voice might make a difference in getting things moving forward.
Ultimately, if you read the terms and conditions of the contract of carriage that you agreed to by purchasing your ticket (I know, no one reads it), there are limits as to what an airline is responsible for when you check in your bag. When a bag is declared lost, most airlines will only reimburse according to the Montreal Convention and not take it upon themselves to search for it. It's important to point out that most of the handling of luggage is outside the control of the airline. Norwegian airlines is considered an Ultra Low Cost Carrier and do not provide the extended level of customer service that other ones, such as the "legacy" airlines offer. Their business model is to provide rock bottom prices by being lean and mean in their services. Sorry to say, the customer is just a dollar sign.

Hopefully your contact with the baggage handlers at LAX will prove fruitful.