Lack of Airbnb communication regarding a damage claim

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 20, 2019
I have been an Airbnb host for about 4 years now, and I've had a majority of positive experiences. Last month, I had a guest stay in my listing for a couple weeks, and long story short, she turned out to be a nightmare. I have full-time tenants that live downstairs from the Airbnb listing, and immediately after this guest checked in, the tenants alerted me to issues that were arising.

The Airbnb guest was going out all night, every night of the week, and leaving her 8 and 10 year old children home alone, unattended. She would leave around 11pm every evening, and wouldn't return until 5-6am. The tenants downstairs were unable to sleep at night, as the two minor children were causing unbearable noise.

Ultimately, the police were called during her stay; the tenants had called me around midnight one evening because the noise from upstairs was unbearable. After hearing the noise first hand, I knew that I had to call the police for a wellness check. Not only were these underage children being left alone, unattended all evening, but they were from Columbia, and I became concerned that any of a number of horrible situations could happen; they could play with matches and burn down the home, the noise upstairs sounded like they were jumping off of beds/couches/or tables, so one of them could have hit their head, and they could have been seriously injured. I figured that being in a country foreign to them, they might not know what to do, or be too scared to call 911 for help if they were in a medical emergency.

The police ended up coming, and from what I know, a report with the Massachusetts Department of Children and Families was filed against the mother.

When the guest eventually checked-out, I became aware that she and/or the children caused substantial damage to my home (approx. $14,000 in damages).

I filed a claim through the Airbnb Resolution Center; it has been over 2 weeks now, and I have yet to have been contacted by anybody from Airbnb in regards to the claim. I looked through the Airbnb website, and it states that Resolution Center claims are usually resolved within a week; it has been over 2 weeks now and I have yet to have been even contacted.

I've called Customer Service multiple times, and all they are able to tell me is that the claim has been escalated to the Trust and Safety team, and that they will contact me once the claim is assigned to someone.

After filing the claim online through the Airbnb Resolution Center on 2/06/19, I received what I believe was an auto-reply email, asking me to submit "Supporting Documentation". I submitted the documents to Airbnb within 48 hours.

I've never had to deal with a situation like this during the 4 years I've been an Airbnb host, but I would expect a much faster response from whatever department is in charge of handling these claims. I'm under the assumption that these damages caused by the guests are covered by Airbnb's "Host Guarantee" (https://www.airbnb.com/guarantee)

Does anyone have contact info for a higher department?

Thanks in advance!

Mar 17, 2015
It may be taking longer due to the high amount. I would have expected them to be in touch with you, but they may be getting the guests side of the story. This may take a bit more time.