LA Times subscription issues continue??

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 5, 2019
Hi all,

Trying to determine if there's any updated info about LA Times subscription issues - when to expect 'restart', etc.

We're in Orange County and our subscription to LA Times has stopped being delivered - approaching 2 weeks now.

Missing our newspaper with breakfast and I'm missing the cartoons (first thing I read - news can be a downer, but cartoons help start the day with a smile). And no, electronic format isn't the answer - we both read books electronically, but, a newspaper requires the smell and feel of newsprint.

I recently read the LA Times article 12/29/18 about their malware attack. We've spoken with their Customer Service department a couple of times and no information was provided (nor, did they mention the malware attack).

Also, I did read the LA thread postings on EA starting 12/20/18, by the way.

Any info/insight would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Why can't they restart your subscription? The online news is the best place to get updates. What did Customer Service day when you called them? From everything I read this only affected the publishing of the paper on one day. Am I missing more news?

Sep 19, 2015
The Malware attack stopped the printing of the LA Times and others — but that malware was contained a week ago.

What the reason given for the lack of delivery? Who have you spoken to?

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Hi all,

Trying to determine if there's any updated info about LA Times subscription issues - when to expect 'restart', etc.

We're in Orange County and our subscription to LA Times has stopped being delivered - approaching 2 weeks now.

Missing our newspaper with breakfast and I'm missing the cartoons (first thing I read - news can be a downer, but cartoons help start the day with a smile). And no, electronic format isn't the answer - we both read books electronically, but, a newspaper requires the smell and feel of newsprint.

I recently read the LA Times article 12/29/18 about their malware attack. We've spoken with their Customer Service department a couple of times and no information was provided (nor, did they mention the malware attack).

Also, I did read the LA thread postings on EA starting 12/20/18, by the way.

Any info/insight would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Reach out by email: https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/los-angeles-times/

Jan 5, 2019
Why can't they restart your subscription? The online news is the best place to get updates. What did Customer Service day when you called them? From everything I read this only affected the publishing of the paper on one day. Am I missing more news?
Neil Maley - didn't stop our subscription, 'they' just stopped delivering. and, "online" is OK for later in the day, but the day starts with breakfast and a real, newsprint newspaper (sorry, that's how we've started our day for a l-o-o-o-o-n-g time - kind of an 'old dogs, new tricks' thing).

Neil Maley and Christina H - As to what they said, I'll have to get back with you, my wife is the one who actually called and I don't know specifics (other than, a general sense that the CSR, at the 800 number posted on the LAT website, with whom she spoke, had no information to provide and only took her complaint). I'd call today, but, the numbers I have are all closed for the weekend (interesting to think that India is closed for the weekend - oh well ;)).

Thank you - appreciate the quick response.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
@IraB - hey girl, give the digital edition a try. The subscription is less expensive, it’s slways there when you want it, it goes with you when you travel. You will get used to it and learn to like it. It’s just a matter of old habits and and you change that.

Oct 17, 2018
My sister lives in Orange County and had delivery issues; so her and her husband went digital to read the LA Times. I live in NC and the price of the printed newspaper in my area was getting to be too expensive so I went to the digital as well. My only requirement was that I could print the crossword puzzle for my husband, which I can. I don't miss the printed paper at all. You can teach a old dog new tricks.

Sep 19, 2015
There are times when a physical newspaper is better— sitting outside with sun glare , or having a cup of coffee and not wanting to worry about spills— so I understand the desire for an actual paper; I still buy paper books.

Jan 19, 2018
After having some billing issues (being charged more than $2/day for the paper subscription but only credited .31$/day for vacation stops...we travel for several weeks, several times a year) with our local paper, I switched to the online version. I hate it! On both my Ipad and SurfacePro the articles jump around, I am bombarded with advertising, and it just isn't the same as holding a paper while having your morning cup of coffee. Plus I discovered this summer that the online paper is virtually inaccessible in Europe as of summer 2018. I had no problems accessing the paper in April/May but in July the online access changed to eu.democratandchronicle.com and only shows FIVE articles daily, certainly not the entire paper. I have not been able to get an answer from customer service or USATODAY, the parent company. So, after 42 years of being a loyal subscriber, I have let both the print and the online subscriptions lapse. Got to love that "customer service"!

Apr 10, 2017
After having some billing issues (being charged more than $2/day for the paper subscription but only credited .31$/day for vacation stops...we travel for several weeks, several times a year) with our local paper, I switched to the online version. I hate it! On both my Ipad and SurfacePro the articles jump around, I am bombarded with advertising, and it just isn't the same as holding a paper while having your morning cup of coffee. Plus I discovered this summer that the online paper is virtually inaccessible in Europe as of summer 2018. I had no problems accessing the paper in April/May but in July the online access changed to eu.democratandchronicle.com and only shows FIVE articles daily, certainly not the entire paper. I have not been able to get an answer from customer service or USATODAY, the parent company. So, after 42 years of being a loyal subscriber, I have let both the print and the online subscriptions lapse. Got to love that "customer service"!
I can really relate to this. My immigrant dad loves his daily newspaper and my husband and I pay for it as his yearly Fathers Day gift. He and my mom moved to the U.S. when they were in their 30s and didn't know a word of English. He taught himself English by reading newspapers and watching TV. He is able to read well enough to read the newspaper but anything online isn't going to happen for him. His only hobbies at this point in his life are reading that paper and watching TV. If something goes wrong with either one of those he isn't a happy camper. Over the years there have been all kinds of issues with this newspaper and their hopelessly inept customer service. Back in the days before online payments they had my address wrong in their system. I hadn't changed a thing with it but someone on their end made my house number one that didn't exist. Another time they changed his subscription to weekday only when it's supposed to be 7 day. We agreed to pay extra for the driver to deliver right to the house instead of the end of a long driveway and that wasn't done correctly. The list goes on and on.

With print media having so much difficulty you'd think they'd try to take better care of their existing customers. Oh well!

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I hope our OP comes back to update us on what Customer Service told his wife. We can tell him our stories but it doesn’t help him determine why he isn’t getting his paper and if it has anything at all to do with the hack. I don’t understand how something that affected printing the paper one day affects home delivery .

Apr 10, 2017
What we are trying to illustrate with the stories is that newspaper customer service snafus such as OP's aren't uncommon. Also, there's not always a logical explanation for the mistakes. I hope the home delivery is reinstated soon, along with a credit for the missed weeks.

Sep 19, 2015
The newspapers have been somewhat tight lipped about the malware — part of this is understandable as one does not want to advertise the vulnerabilities — and it is even worse as this is thought to be a ransomware attack— ie pay us or your system stays locked. Did it mess up the home delivery info in addition to the printing production?

I hope the OP is able to get the newspaper delivered again and receive an appropriate credit. And I dislike the pop up ads and flashing ads on the digital papers

Jan 23, 2015
There's also often a disconnect between the customer service folks at the paper and the company contracted to do the deliveries. I've had issues with delivery of the Wall Street Journal and while the customer service reps are great, sometimes you have to do some detective work to find the contact info for the delivery people, and speak with them directly. I don't know if that's possible for this poster's issue, but maybe they can find the delivery people and talk to them about it? Good luck!

Feb 11, 2018
@IraB - hey girl, give the digital edition a try. The subscription is less expensive, it’s slways there when you want it, it goes with you when you travel. You will get used to it and learn to like it. It’s just a matter of old habits and and you change that.
Sorry, not the same at all. I read most books on my Kindle--but books are linear and each page is a page (if you understand what I mean). The newspaper's digital edition, on the other hand, simply gives a digital picture of each page--too large for a screen. Or, if you fit to the screen, the print is way too small. Plus, the story you start to read is invariably continued elsewhere in the publication. Nuisance!

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
Sorry, not the same at all. I read most books on my Kindle--but books are linear and each page is a page (if you understand what I mean). The newspaper's digital edition, on the other hand, simply gives a digital picture of each page--too large for a screen. Or, if you fit to the screen, the print is way too small. Plus, the story you start to read is invariably continued elsewhere in the publication. Nuisance!
I never said it was the same. It is a different experience that you can acclimate into your lifestyle.
When you hold a newspaper, you don’t look at the entire page anyway, you focus of one column, or story. So that is the same. Nothing different with the newspaper continuing its story on another page, either, they all do that. If you are reading the digital edition, it looks exactly like the printed paper.
I use my iPad and over a little time got used to the switch. I maintain, it’s just a matter of changing a habit.