LA Fitness Personal Training - Can't Cancel, Can't Afford it Anymore, Can't Believe This!

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 6, 2019
A few months back, I was fortunate enough to receive a promotion to "Supervisor" at my job. This resulted in a pay raise, as well. I decided to get back into fitness with this extra money. I've had a trainer in the past with another company, but decided that the ability to choose my sessions while having open access to the gym during other times was the direction I wanted to go with this time around. LA Fitness offers this.

However, in recent weeks, many employees at my work place have been getting laid off or leaving by their own accord. A staggering amount of people have left to the point of the company changing our hours. We used to be 6am-10pm, and we are cutting down to 7am-7pm. I digress. The important part is, because of this significant change, some of the newer Supervisors have been advised to return to the regular "agent" position.

With this, comes a deduction in pay as well. I was only able to afford this luxury because of the pay raise that I received, which is gone now. I have reached out to my local LA Fitness, who referred me to the corporate account managers by phone. The account manager I spoke with claimed he would speak with someone higher than him (Side note - This seems to be a theme with LA Fitness. The person you're speaking to is never the person who makes a real decision, and you're unable to speak to the person who is able to make the decision.) to see if he can lower my contract to two sessions per week at $280/month, to 1 session a week, at $160/month, which we agreed is MUCH more feasible. They also don't completely lose a (otherwise very happy) customer this way.

After a couple days of back-and-forth calling, the answer was just "no." I can either do the "buyout" - pay half the remaining balance of each session (which comes out to roughly $1,300 - if I can't do $280/month, I definitely don't have $1,300 burning a hole in my pocket) - or I can call my bank, block the charges from LA Fitness, and cancel everything altogether. I will then get collections calls, potentially affecting my credit, and I probably won't be able to renew a contract with LA Fitness ever again, while I will have an outstanding debt to LA Fitness for the remaining (unused, and blocked from being used) training sessions - who knows what they have the right to do with, collections or court-wise.

I love my trainer and I love the work we have been doing. I have been seeing progress not only in my physical state, but subsequently in my mental state as well. I've been trying to work toward a goal of getting in shape for an event in June, but right now, I'm struggling to meet the goal of ensuring I have enough in my bank account to cover rent and utilities when all the other bills have been taken from my account.

How can I convince someone at LA Fitness to help me out? I can provide my current pay stubs as well as bills I need to budget for, in order to get by on the very basic needs, if I have to provide this. HELP!

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
What does your contract state? That’s all that matters. I didn’t know gyms still lock people into contracts like this any more.

If this is permitted in the contract you signed, you need a lawyer to get you out of this.

We have company contacts for LAFitness- you can try and go up the Executive Chain for help:

https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/la-fitness/

But if the answer is no all the way from the top, you need an attorney.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Keep at it.....you seem to be asking politely and the fact that you want to continue using their services, albeit half the time, is saying something good about LA Fitness. Write to the execs @Neil Maley has provided you, one at a time waiting for a reply. Or after a week without a reply, move to the next name on the list. Do not start at the top of the executive chain, save that as the last resort. Keep your letter short, succinct and polite. No need to get into the details of why you cannot pay the agreed rate, just state that you received a promotion, thought it was a great opportunity to get fit but due to company changes, have been demoted to your original pay rate. Maybe use the word 'compromise' as it points out that you are not asking to cancel out the contract all together but you would like for them to meet you in the middle as an exception to the rule. Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Dec 19, 2014
Sorry to hear about your job situation.

A realistic target is to have LA Fitness agree to reducing your sessions to 1/week @ $160 dollars a month. Do you have the name of the "account manager" that proposed the $160/month compromise? I would definitively include that in your letter.

Whatever you do, do not stop payment unless you have exhausted all other means, and you need the money for food and shelter. LA Fitness has a reputation of being aggressive with collections.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Trisha, your compromise proposal is a good one. I think that by keeping this all in writing, taking responsibility for signing up for more than you can afford on an unexpectedly lower salary, and asking them for an exception to their rules will do the trick. The executives are the ones who can see the logic in keeping you as a happy customer vs causing you financial pain. The local guys may operate more out of the procedures manual and the execs can make things happen. Good luck and please keep us updated.

Mar 23, 2015
A little too little a little too late but just food for thought going forward: a long time ago when I had my first job my Dad told me when I got a promotion and I immediately wanted to buy a new car, "For the first 6-12 months, continue as you were before the promotion and just put that extra in the bank before you start spending that raise...just in case." Now 30+ years later in my career, I still follow that advice every time I've gotten a promotion and it's served me well :)

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
A little too little a little too late but just food for thought going forward: a long time ago when I had my first job my Dad told me when I got a promotion and I immediately wanted to buy a new car, "For the first 6-12 months, continue as you were before the promotion and just put that extra in the bank before you start spending that raise...just in case." Now 30+ years later in my career, I still follow that advice every time I've gotten a promotion and it's served me well :)
THANK YOU, Dad!!