Korean Air - Disastrous Service, delayed luggage and not willing to take responsibility

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Dec 15, 2018
Update: So I heard back from Korean Air now.
There email was full of inaccuracies and lies.
First they claim that I should have picked up my luggage on my connecting flight, they're saying that even though what really happened was that Alitalia told me that the luggage would going straight to ICN and the baggage services knew that something was messed up because THEY called me to baggage services on the terminal speaker before I even knew they lost it. Additionally they claim I only had a short connection in FCO which is also a lie, I had 3.5 hours!
I tried sending another message now to their VP on LinkedIn. If that won't work I'll just sue them.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
They were able to page you in ICN because you didn’t pick up the bag when you connected and they had to bag at baggage claim well after you left.

That’s why I asked if you rechecked it because when you change airlines you generally have to do so.

Perhaps there was a language barrier with Alitalia. You also should check the bag tag they put on your luggage. If the original tag didn’t have ICN as the destination on the tag- it needed to be picked up and re-checked.

Did they offer to reimburse you for having to go back to the airport to pick up the bag? Technically the error really was yours for not knowing Alitalia cannot your bag to ICN because it was a totally separate ticket in another airline and you needed to recheck it.

BTW, this happened to me with Delta once- changing in Atlanta from an international flight. I did the same thing- asked in Mexico about having to pick up, go through Customrs and re-check and the Delta Agents told me I didn’t have to. I should have trusted myself and didn’t, and my bags did not get home with me. But at least Delta delivered them to my house at no charge.

Dec 15, 2018
I think that the shipping label had ICN on it.
If you ask me, the reason for the problem was that Alitalia changed my flight last minute to an earlier flight (like literally I ran to the plane) because otherwise I would have missed my connecting flight due to a delay. Maybe they didn't have enough time to get the luggage to the plane.

Appreciating all the technology around us, I can't see people in Italy looking at my bag and trying to find out where I am and on which flight I got, and then found out I was on my way to ICN. That would be giving Alitalia way too much credit. Someone would have just stole it.
When I got to the baggage services they apologized, they didn't tell me I messed up something. The bag was supposed to come to ICN.

On my return flight, I flew Korean to FCO and then El-Al to TLV. El Al is very strict when it comes to security, if I needed to get my bag out, they would definitely not allow me to get on the plane or they would have left my luggage outside. That didn't happen.

I don't think there was a language barrier, both the Alitalia lady and myself are native Israelis.

I didn't have to go to the airport to pick my luggage, they got it to my hotel.

I'm sorry Neil, but if you think that the error was mine then I think you don't understand the case... It might be that I'm not explaining it well here. The bag was supposed to reach ICN, the baggage services explained that it was their fault. It would have been very easy otherwise, they would have found a way to charge me extra also for specially delivering my bag if it was my fault....

The Delta story, that's a whole different thing. You always do that when you arrive to the US, you must pass immigration at your first port of entry, but that's an American rule. The Schengen area for example doesn't work that way. You have to get through immigration at the port of entry, but you don't have to recheck you bag.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I am just trying to make sense of Korean Airs excuses. Have to tried the first executive? What have they said about reimbursement for the suit?

Since they are Sky Team members, the bag should have been checked through. Was the error on Alitalia’s part in not getting the bag to Korean Air? Or Korean Air not putting it properly on the flight?

Sep 19, 2015
Fabiansc I am surprised at the answer from Korean. Did the change of flight happen after your bag was ticketed and sent on its way? Did it have the delayed itinerary?

I do not connect in Rome, but my recollection of the airport is that you arrived in the Ex Schengen and connected Ex-Schengen and if luggage was checked through it should have not needed to be picked up and rechecked.

If your ticket was changed late in Tel Aviv after checking in that would be explain why the luggage was not on the flight —it may have traveled on your original delayed flight.

Dec 15, 2018
Hi all,
Thanks for your follow up messages.

I tried reaching again to all executives, they didn't answer, even the one that answered at first stopped. They're known in Korea as assholes, I guess they just justify their reputation.
What happened with my flight was that I got to the airport and I was told that the flight will be delayed for two hours. I told them that's impossible and they would have to find an alternative for me because I have to get to Seoul by the following day, no matter what, so they found a spot for me in an earlier flight. I literally ran through the airport and got to the plane in 5 minutes (and for those who know TLV, you can imagine how impressive that is :) )
The luggage had a tag for ICN on my updated flight.

After the complete lack of competence in Korean Air and their customer service, I turned to their Israeli office which was 100x more effective.
There's still no resolution, but at least they gave me more straightforward and less deceitful answers.

I basically sent them an email warning them before a lawsuit, which I was about to file. They told me that according to the luggage tracking, they can't be at fault because Alitalia messed it up and sent my luggage to Munich instead of to Seoul (!!)
I don't understand why the HQ of Korean Air had to lie about everything up to this point, but I know I'll never fly with them again.

Meanwhile I'm restarting the process with Alitalia. And I did turn to them within those 21 days. DO you think that there's a chance for them it to work or according to Montreal Convention it's always only the last airline, no matter what?

Thanks,
Fabian

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I’m willing to bet they added that to the information they keep in your case.

https://www.elliott.org/answers/how-to-fix-your-own-consumer-problem/

Read the bottom in why your letter might be ignored.

If you have exhausted all Executives, go back to the help screens and tell them you have written to all Executives and have had no response. The writers are going to ask for all correspondence. If they think they can help they’ll let you know.

Dec 15, 2018
Give me a little bit of credit, I haven't sent an email filled with capital letters or "SEE YOU COURT" message. Definitely not to the Korean office.
I sent it only to the Israeli one after I started writing the lawsuit and I was suggested to reach out to them again before doing it.
I just heard back from there Managing VP (I suspect he's watching the forum, Hi John!)

He sent me a message with all the incorrect 'facts' they have, I explained to him now that all the information he received is plainly incorrect.
Let's see what happens now.

Thinking about it again, I still have a problem with Korean Air claim that Alitalia sent the luggage to Munich because the baggage services in Seoul KNEW I'm missing my luggage, they called me to the counter, they knew that I am supposed to have a luggage and it didn't arrive to Seoul.

How could they know it if someone didn't find somewhere around the world a bag with my name on it and an ICN tag?
The only explanation that I have right now is that the tag was accurate but for some reason someone in FCO made a mistake and placed the luggage on the wrong flight

Dec 15, 2018
OK, so I'm not sure if the last carrier is the one to blame here.
I just went over the entire Montreal Convention and didn't find anything related to making the claim to the last carrier.

Here's what I found which is relevant to the case:

1. It's not 21 days from the departure date, it's 21 days from the time I got the luggage.
2. Regarding the issue of having two separate orders, this is what article 1 point 3 says:

Carriage to be performed by several successive carriers is deemed, for the purposes of this Convention, to be one undivided carriage if it has been regarded by the parties as a single operation, whether it had been agreed upon under the form of a single contract or of a series of contracts, and it does not lose its international character merely because one contract or a series of contracts is to be performed entirely within the territory of the same State.

3. Finally, this is article 36 point 3:

As regards baggage or cargo, the passenger or consignor will have a right of action against the first carrier, and the passenger or consignee who is entitled to delivery will have a right of action against the last carrier, and further, each may take action against the carrier which performed the carriage during which the destruction, loss, damage or delay took place. These carriers will be jointly and severally liable to the passenger or to the consignor or consignee.

4. I also looked at the IATA General Conditions of Carriage, this is what 16.3.1 says:

Carrier is only liable for damage occurring on its own line. A carrier issuing a ticket or checking baggage over the lines of another carrier does so only as agent for such other carrier. Nevertheless, with respect to checked baggage the passenger shall have a right of action against the first and last carrier.

I'll go against both of them and if needed, I'll file a lawsuit again both. I'll keep you posted