Korean Air - Disastrous Service, delayed luggage and not willing to take responsibility

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Dec 15, 2018
Well, since the list on the website isn't updated in the website, I just tried cold calling 10 leaders of Korean Air on LinkedIn. I'll keep you posted if it works

Sep 19, 2015
Fabiansc is does take the volunteer in charge of research a few days to update the contacts but the volunteer is very responsible and will do it. I understand you are frustrated.

Do keep us updated and hope for something positive. I have no recent experience with Korean.

I recently had a domestic connection and booked myself with 2 hours time in between fearful of December weather delays. My luggage took an earlier connection and was waiting for me at the airport. And of course since I gave myself a long connection there were no delays. 2 hours should have been sufficient on alliance airlines at FCO same terminal and all.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I'm sorry this is such a mess, but it will get sorted eventually. Airlines will lose bags, that's just reality. I'd never travel with just a carryon bag, so I've figured out a few coping mechanisms.

I once had a bag delivered to my Rome hotel after a connection in Amsterdam from San Francisco; Continental and Alitalia. All the tags had been ripped off my bag. Some kind soul opened it and found my itinerary right on top. Otherwise, I would not have had a chance to get that bag back. Travellers have to be pro-active; it's a luxury to make many trips for many years without lost bags, but you can't let that lull you into thinking an airline will never lose your bag.

I'm impossible to fit and couldn't just bebop out to buy new clothes so I've developed the following habits: Your carryon needs to hold a full change of clothes, clothes that will work with what you're wearing on the plane, and an extra shirt. An extra pair of shoes and socks is nice to have. This way you have enough to see you through for several days.

Your checked luggage needs an outside luggage tag with your cell phone number on it. In the top outside pocket, put your full ID with home address and contact numbers. When you've finished packing, put a complete itinerary with phone numbers on the top. Make sure this would be the first thing someone sees.

And maybe the most important: be sure your bag is tagged for the correct airport.

Dec 15, 2018
Thanks for the tips! On relatively short flights I agree, but on 14-15 hour flights I usually change to sweat pants or shorts in order to be comfortable, yes, it's more risky, but I have a >98% success rate so I'm OK with it.
Meanwhile I can update that a VP got back to me and said he forwarded the email to the right person. Fingers crossed!

Jun 12, 2017
I'm sorry this is such a mess, but it will get sorted eventually. Airlines will lose bags, that's just reality. I'd never travel with just a carryon bag, so I've figured out a few coping mechanisms.

I once had a bag delivered to my Rome hotel after a connection in Amsterdam from San Francisco; Continental and Alitalia. All the tags had been ripped off my bag. Some kind soul opened it and found my itinerary right on top. Otherwise, I would not have had a chance to get that bag back. Travellers have to be pro-active; it's a luxury to make many trips for many years without lost bags, but you can't let that lull you into thinking an airline will never lose your bag.

I'm impossible to fit and couldn't just bebop out to buy new clothes so I've developed the following habits: Your carryon needs to hold a full change of clothes, clothes that will work with what you're wearing on the plane, and an extra shirt. An extra pair of shoes and socks is nice to have. This way you have enough to see you through for several days.

Your checked luggage needs an outside luggage tag with your cell phone number on it. In the top outside pocket, put your full ID with home address and contact numbers. When you've finished packing, put a complete itinerary with phone numbers on the top. Make sure this would be the first thing someone sees.

And maybe the most important: be sure your bag is tagged for the correct airport.
Hi,
Sorry, this is slightly off topic. RE: id on luggage. I had read online and it was advised that one should not have home identifying information on the outside(accessible) of the luggage for safety reasons. ??? But then how does one get the "lost" bag back?

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Hi,
Sorry, this is slightly off topic. RE: id on luggage. I had read online and it was advised that one should not have home identifying information on the outside(accessible) of the luggage for safety reasons. ??? But then how does one get the "lost" bag back?
You are right, you don't want your home information accessible. What was I thinking? I always use my office address, but that might not be practical for most people. The ID tag and the paper inside the outside top pocket should list your contacts, but not your home address. When you complete a lost bag claim, you can give them all the info then.

Dec 15, 2018
Update: No update.
I haven't heard back from Korean Air and it's been a week since I heard back from the VP (who surprisingly is now the second person on the contact list on Eliott's website).
Should I try to reach out to him again? Should I reach out to the first person on the list? Should I give them one more week?

This is so frustrating!

Dec 15, 2018
Well it seems like either Korean Air are religiously following your website, or that the emails were incorrect.
I tried sending the next one in line an email, and that didn't work. I tried emailing the person that I send a LinkedIn message and that didn't work either so I just sent that guy another LinkedIn message.
I didn't attach any file or anything, just a pretty short email.

Dec 15, 2018
Please complete this form to report the invalid emails

Employees change all the time and we have one volunteer that does all the research for contacts. If no one notifies us that an email needs to be corrected, we don’t know.

https://www.elliott.org/add-a-company/
That's the interesting thing. The emails were just updated and those people are still at the company.
It's either that you have to send the emails through their network or the emails that were just updated are incorrect.

The last updated was done 3 days ago.

Sep 19, 2015
fabiansc what sort of rejection message are you getting? Is the company blocking emails from certain addresses perhaps as spam prevention?

Dec 15, 2018
fabiansc what sort of rejection message are you getting? Is the company blocking emails from certain addresses perhaps as spam prevention?
So it officially doesn't look like a spam prevention. I get an "The email address you entered couldn't be found. " and 'Recipient not found by SMTP address lookup' messages, so I don't think it's spam prevention, maybe those addresses are closed outside their internal network.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
For what it's worth ... I use AOL for my personal email. Apparently AOL is famous for fighting with all other email providers, so I often get a message that something was undeliverable but my email has gone through just fine. Some of these companies may use an email server that doesn't play well with others. Your emails may be getting through but you won't know it until someone responds to you. Very frustrating!

Dec 15, 2018
For what it's worth ... I use AOL for my personal email. Apparently AOL is famous for fighting with all other email providers, so I often get a message that something was undeliverable but my email has gone through just fine. Some of these companies may use an email server that doesn't play well with others. Your emails may be getting through but you won't know it until someone responds to you. Very frustrating!
Interesting! Just to try I sent the CEO an email from my Israeli very old email and it seems like it went through. I tried Gmail earlier. Let's see if something happens. Thanks so much!!