KLM not replacing my badly damaged valise

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Aug 26, 2016
Dear everyone,
It is with great satisfaction from the highly qualified, devoted and smart team at Elliott that I am turning for support again.
I boarded KLM flight for the first time on 22 October 2016 and on arrival at my destination, my very solid valise box was completely shattered. I could not even roll it as its contents could only pour out and I immediately reported to the Lost and Found /Damage/Claim office where the lady attending to me observed what I am reporting.
She instead generated a claim report code and handed to me, asking me to file a complaint to KLM online whereas, she saw the valise and registered a complaint - I guess. Of course, I immediately submitted the claim as soon as I arrived my hotel.
I was on an 8 day vacation and I thought that KLM would replace my valise before my vacation was over because I stated my duration of stay in the complaint.
I finally left without any feedback despite repeated follow-up messages. Upon arrival back home, KLM requested that I purchase a new valise and submit receipts for reimbursement which I did but till date, they are neither replying to my follow-up messages nor the to refund.
I am afraid that the more this complain delays, the higher the chances that they will ignore their responsibility.
Please, can someone advise me if it is too early to start seeking help?
or help me get this reimbursement ?
Can I appeal for this advocacy team to please make contact with KLM ?
Again thanks for being the voices of the voiceless.
Jngwang

Nov 3, 2015
What we try to do here in the forums is to help you advocate for yourself. You've done an excellent job so far, but KLM is not listening to you. Other than the online claim form you filled out, have you been using email or the phone? (It's much easier to use email, as you then have an exact record of what was said by both sides.)

Is it possible they may have refunded the cost of the valise to the credit card you used to buy your ticket? Have you had any credits show up on that account?

At this point, I would take the claim number, and start emailing customer service again at KLM, with a brief, polite, business-like note. Something like,

On (date), I submitted a receipt to (address you used) for a valise damaged on flight (number) on 22 October 2216, as instructed by (person or department who told you to file for reimbursement). As of today, I have had no further response from KLM, nor have I gotten the promised refund of $(amount), despite attempts to contact KLM on (date a, b, c.)

I enjoyed my first-ever flights on KLM, but I am disappointed in the 2 month long delay in getting the refund for my damaged luggage replacement. Would you please help me get the $(amount) refunded quickly? Thank you for your kind assistance.

Then, I would start with the facebook and twitter feeds that they say work well... we have them here in the company contacts for KLM: http://elliott.org/company-contacts/klm-airlines/ Given the present busy holiday season for airlines, I'd cut them a little more slack right now, but if I hadn't had a reply by 3 January, I'd then start emailing the executive contacts one at a time, starting with the primary contact. Give him a week to respond; if you've not gotten a satisfactory response in a week, go on to the secondary contact, again emailing and giving a week for response. With luck, they'll have fixed this mess for you long before you get to the top executive, Pieter Elbers, but if they haven't, please come back here and tell us and we'll hatch a plan to get your claim completed. Hang on to all your emails to and from KLM; they'll help us figure out how to proceed.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I'm sure you purchased something that would contain your belongings for your return trip, so add that into the request for reimbursement.

You would certainly think that a major airline who completely trashes someone's checked bag would have policies in place to replace it on the spot. Very disappointing customer service. Be polite, patient and persistent when you email them.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Follow ORresidents instructions. You have to do the writing, we don't do it for you. If you get all the way up to the CEO with no results, then come back and let us know and we'll tell you the next step. But I can't see this not being fixed quickly once you write to the first one or two people.

Aug 26, 2016
What we try to do here in the forums is to help you advocate for yourself. You've done an excellent job so far, but KLM is not listening to you. Other than the online claim form you filled out, have you been using email or the phone? (It's much easier to use email, as you then have an exact record of what was said by both sides.)

Is it possible they may have refunded the cost of the valise to the credit card you used to buy your ticket? Have you had any credits show up on that account?

At this point, I would take the claim number, and start emailing customer service again at KLM, with a brief, polite, business-like note. Something like,

On (date), I submitted a receipt to (address you used) for a valise damaged on flight (number) on 22 October 2216, as instructed by (person or department who told you to file for reimbursement). As of today, I have had no further response from KLM, nor have I gotten the promised refund of $(amount), despite attempts to contact KLM on (date a, b, c.)

I enjoyed my first-ever flights on KLM, but I am disappointed in the 2 month long delay in getting the refund for my damaged luggage replacement. Would you please help me get the $(amount) refunded quickly? Thank you for your kind assistance.

Then, I would start with the facebook and twitter feeds that they say work well... we have them here in the company contacts for KLM: http://elliott.org/company-contacts/klm-airlines/ Given the present busy holiday season for airlines, I'd cut them a little more slack right now, but if I hadn't had a reply by 3 January, I'd then start emailing the executive contacts one at a time, starting with the primary contact. Give him a week to respond; if you've not gotten a satisfactory response in a week, go on to the secondary contact, again emailing and giving a week for response. With luck, they'll have fixed this mess for you long before you get to the top executive, Pieter Elbers, but if they haven't, please come back here and tell us and we'll hatch a plan to get your claim completed. Hang on to all your emails to and from KLM; they'll help us figure out how to proceed.
Awesome thought. I am so grateful with that wise guide, ORresident. What a relief getting this support !
I find this guide, very useful and supportive and will do exactly that and update the forum accordingly.
To answer your questions:
- I have been communicating only via the online form where they asked me to use, claiming that it is the site where my claim file with a matching number is. I am now considering the customer contact. I believe that there is a communication trend on the online form.
- I have been checking my bank account associated to the credit card regularly, and I am 100% sure that they have not refunded as I have printed by account transaction history twice and the last just these days where nothing showed up, linking KLM and mt account.

Sincerely,
Jngwang

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2016
I'm sure you purchased something that would contain your belongings for your return trip, so add that into the request for reimbursement.

You would certainly think that a major airline who completely trashes someone's checked bag would have policies in place to replace it on the spot. Very disappointing customer service. Be polite, patient and persistent when you email them.
Hello jsn55,
Your attention to my complaints are always very valuable as I always find great solace and wisdom in going about my fixes.
Thank you again this time - I will be updating the forum after contacting customer service as advised.
Happy celebrations,
Jngwang

Aug 26, 2016
Follow ORresidents instructions. You have to do the writing, we don't do it for you. If you get all the way up to the CEO with no results, then come back and let us know and we'll tell you the next step. But I can't see this not being fixed quickly once you write to the first one or two people.
I sincerely appreciate that support, Neil.
Yes, I will do just that and get back to the Forum with the outcome.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU AND THE TEAM AS WELL AS HAPPY NEW YEAR

Jngwang

Aug 26, 2016
Please keep us updated but it is time to write to the first executive because you'be already been dealing with Customer Service to no avail.
Thank you again Neil,
I believe you are right.
Can you please help me, provide the appropriate executive contact?
Thanks,
Jngwang

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If you go to our Customer Contacts on top of any page, go to Airlines. Find KLM and there will be a list of executives. Write to the first one, give him a week to respond. If he doesn't or does and doesn't help, write to the next one. Repeat weekly in necessary going up the chain one by one.

Aug 26, 2016
If you go to our Customer Contacts on top of any page, go to Airlines. Find KLM and there will be a list of executives. Write to the first one, give him a week to respond. If he doesn't or does and doesn't help, write to the next one. Repeat weekly in necessary going up the chain one by one.

Can't thank you enough, Neil.
Yes, I will update accordingly,
Regards,
Jngwang

Aug 26, 2016

Happy New Year and welcome back, jsn.
I did a horrible humiliating thing - I simply purchased a sellotape big enough to hold together the valise and then I pasted a note indicating that it was a badly damaged valise requiring extra care. I wish am able to attach the images !
What I did not mention is that I felt too scared flying back on KLM and had to get a different flight back.
So far, none of the executives had written back after contacting them as advised on this forum.
I just believe that they may still be in a feasting mood.
Best regards,
Jngwang

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Happy New Year and welcome back, jsn.
I did a horrible humiliating thing - I simply purchased a sellotape big enough to hold together the valise and then I pasted a note indicating that it was a badly damaged valise requiring extra care. I wish am able to attach the images !
What I did not mention is that I felt too scared flying back on KLM and had to get a different flight back.
So far, none of the executives had written back after contacting them as advised on this forum.
I just believe that they may still be in a feasting mood.
Best regards,
Jngwang
You wrote leaving a week in between each email? Or did you write to them all at once? You should only write one at a time.

The fact you did not fly KLM home had no bearing on this but since you didn't buy a new bag while you were traveling might be why you ate having a hard time. They may be assuming that bag couldn't have been that badly damaged if you didn't buy a bag while you were there.

If you followed our recommendations of writing one at a time weekly to KLM let us know.

If you didn't, start all over and do it weekly.

Aug 26, 2016
You wrote leaving a week in between each email? Or did you write to them all at once? You should only write one at a time.

The fact you did not fly KLM home had no bearing on this but since you didn't buy a new bag while you were traveling might be why you ate having a hard time. They may be assuming that bag couldn't have been that badly damaged if you didn't buy a bag while you were there.

If you followed our recommendations of writing one at a time weekly to KLM let us know.

If you didn't, start all over and do it weekly.
Thank Neil,
Hope you had happy feasts.
Yes as advised, I started writing on Dec 23rd, step-by-step as advised NOT all at the same time, then Dec 28th (all in order as advised).
If I did not purchase a new one, it was because I was hopeful that like other major Airlines, a replacement valise was soon arriving until the last minute.
If I purchased a new one, it was from an email they later sent when I was already gone. In that same email, they requested the receipts which I submitted and have not received any further email nor call till date.
I have just written to the last executive - Mr. Pieter Elbers.
Thanks,
JNgwang

Aug 26, 2016
Please keep us updated but it is time to write to the first executive because you'be already been dealing with Customer Service to no avail.
Dear Neil and the Forum,
While thanking you and the crew on board still for the wonderful job, I am also returning to update the crew on the outcome, following the KLM contact advice.

I have carefully followed the advice since December of writing up the ladder of the executives one at a time and over weekly periods yet, no single reply received.
I lastly contacted the CEO, Mr. Erik Varwijk, on the 09th January 2017 and no reply till date and I feel it is time that I solicit help from the Forum.

Please, any way to help me get KLM honor their commitment of reimbursing my damaged valise costs which instead of replacement, asked me to purchase a new one and forward receipts for reimbursement which I did, yet it is several months gone now and they are only silent ?
NB: I have verified the credit card (used in ticket purchase) transactions
and it is clear that they never reimbursed even though they promised to reimbursed but to my bank account which details they already requested and received last November.
Thank you so much in advance.
Kindly,
JNgwang

Aug 26, 2016
Go to the top of the forum and click on the help button. Report that you wrote to all
the contacts and did not receive a response.

The reporters will take a look at all your documents and if they think they can help they will take up your case. Good luck!
Eureka ! You guys are really great. I just received an email from the KLM customer service, asking me to call a local phone number in my country in order to receive the promised reimbursement.
Even though this does not sound appropriate to me (calling an office for reimbursement), I am unsure what to tell the local contact as no name is mentioned nor reference given except the telephone number and an apology.
Does anyone sees this normal?
Thanks

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Eureka ! You guys are really great. I just received an email from the KLM customer service, asking me to call a local phone number in my country in order to receive the promised reimbursement.
Even though this does not sound appropriate to me (calling an office for reimbursement), I am unsure what to tell the local contact as no name is mentioned nor reference given except the telephone number and an apology.
Does anyone sees this normal?
Thanks
Yes. Call them but tell them you would like a follow up of the conversation via email and ask the email address you can use to confirm the conversation.

I don't want to tell you that we didn't do anything - this was all a result of your writing to them! Just co-incidental I think that it happened the same day.