KIWI will not refund canceled flight

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 15, 2019
Chris,

I was wondering if you can get me some guidance on pursuing a Airline Booking Complaint through KIWI. I tried to work through my Credit Union, who maintains the credit card. I also tried to file through the state of Maryland Consumer Complaint agency, still haven’t heard anything.

Here is a synopsis of what transpired.

I originally booked a return flight through KIWI from Malaga Spain to Washington Dulles with a layover at London Stansted for $823.79.

I found out on 10/11 that my flight by Primera Air from London to Wash DC was cancelled, and had a choice to rebook the entire flight or schedule another flight from London to Wash DC. My Flight from Malaga to London by Ryanair was still on. After doing research it was more cost effective to book the entire flight over, therefore I would not be using the Malaga to London Flight. The cost to do this was $1838.38, so if you do the numbers

(823.79 + 1838.38= $2,662.17) this is what I paid.

Originally I was credited $823.79, by Fed Choice Credit Union on my VISA Card. I did not pursue the additional $1,014.59 (1,838.38 – 823.79). They said to pursue this after the $823.79 is taken care of.

Fed Choice came back saying that KIWI gave me a credit for $626.35, this was the flight from London to Wash Dulles, from Primera Air, the other flight was not canceled. I never received anything in writing from KIWI, Fed Choice took back the credit for $823.79. I tried to email KIWI, no response at this writing. They say there headquarters are located in the Czech Republic. Primera Air went out of business at the time of my return flight.

IF you can offer me some advice in ways I can pursue this, I know the usual channels, Maryland Consumer Affairs,, Better Business Bureau and the credit card company which I already tried. Since this company is out of country, this makes it difficult.

Thanks for your consideration for this matter.

Sep 19, 2015
This sounds like a typical KIWI air ticketing which is two separate tickets. Ryanair did not connect or interline or have a feeder agreement with Primera.

Did you actually cancel the Ryanair flight? Or were you marked as a no show?

Did KIWI rebook the flight or did you?

This is the problem booking two separate flights, if there is a problem with one there is no protection for the other flight.

As these were two separate tickets the OTA did what was legally required, which was refund the cancelled flight. As Primera is bankrupt there is no chance of getting EU 261 compensation.

Does your credit card offer any cancellation insurance?

Feb 15, 2019
I cancel the flight online through KIWI.

I rebook the flights through KIWI. KIWI never said to take the first flight from Malaga to London. I just started doing cost comparisons.

Credit card does not cancellation insurance.

Nov 20, 2015
Kiwi cobbles together trips often using different airlines over multiple stops with separate PNR's for each leg. (Multiple PNR's essentially means separate, unlinked tickets for each trip segment.)

To partially "protect" their customers, they offer the "Kiwi guarantee" which covers trips with multiple PNR's. This guarantee means that Kiwi will rebook your flights for free or refund your money for unused legs if you miss a connection, or if one of your flights is cancelled. Unfortunately, your trip was fouled up by air carrier insolvency which is listed as an excluded event under the guarantee.

Follow the terms and conditions link from this page on their site:
https://www.kiwi.com/en/pages/guarantee

Kiwi can save you a few dollars on some trips, but the hassles of multiple PNR's can really cancel out the savings-- especially if you have to check and re-check luggage.

Sep 19, 2015
Well CCGormand you are correct, insolvency is not covered by the guarantee.

In fact there are a lot of exclusions for the guarantee, so many that I cannot figure out what is covered:

"Please be informed that the Kiwi.com Guarantee does not apply to cases of Flight delays, change or cancellation caused by extraordinary circumstances which could not have been avoided even if all reasonable measures had been taken. Such circumstances may, in particular, occur in cases of political instability, meteorological conditions incompatible with the operation of the flight concerned, security risks, unexpected transport safety shortcomings and strikes that affect the operation of an operating air carrier, significant limitation of airport(s) and/or train station operation, as well as bankruptcy, insolvency or termination of 50% or more of all flights of the Selected Carrier or any other effect which significantly limits or disables the Selected or operating Carrier to provide its services (hereinafter referred as “Force Majeure”). Please note that in these cases We will make Our best effort to offer You an alternative Flight(s) and or other alternative transportation for You in order to eliminate inconveniences that You may incur in relation to this matter. However, We have no obligation to provide You with the Kiwi.com Guarantee or otherwise cover the expenses for the alternative Flight(s) and/or other mean of Transportation for the Flight(s) affected by the effects of Force Majeure as well as other connecting Flight(s), which You were not able to use due to the effect of Force Majeure. "

As the OP is trying to get the ryanair ticket back, and I do not see how there is any coverage for it -- not the Kiwi "guarantee", no travel insurance, and all on separate tickets.

I do not see any recourse for the OP unless Kiwi makes a gesture.

Sometimes being cheap can be very expensive.