Kiwi.com hasn't refunded my 3 bookings. I've waited for over 9 months!

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 16, 2021
I made some bookings with Kiwi.com for an overseas trip back in Oct. of 2019. I booked 3 separate trips with them on the same credit card. When the time for departure came around in Late March of 2020, many airlines were suspending service on all flights in and out of the country. I was notified of this by kiwi and asked to wait it out until departure, to see if they would cancel the flights or to request a refund. By March 15th, about one week before departure I decided to cancel the 3 bookings. 2 days before departure, my initial flight out of the country was cancelled, it was inevitable. I even paid Kiwi more to expedite my claim. When I first cancelled the flights, I contacted my credit card (Chase). I gave them my story and info and they told me to wait on the merchant, Kiwi to refund me, before I file a chargeback claim with them. Kiwi hasn't refunded me any money relating to these flights. I then tried to contact Chase again, they said Okay you can file a chargeback claim. It was Mid June by this time. The date of service, ie cancelled flight was March 24th. I wasn't notified by Chase that there was an arbitrary window of time(60 or 90 days I don't remember correctly) to file a claim. I was also confused like many consumers about how to go about this claim. (does the date go by the purchase date in Oct or the service date in March) They sent me the claim info and I sent them back all the information. I had about the merchant. Kiwi, and why I was denied service. the flights were cancelled after all. they didn't bother to look at it and said it was too late to file. then why would they even bother to tell me to send info if it was already too late??? Chase lied/ failed to tell me about any timelines. I even sent more evidence in a separate mailing to Chase and that also failed. I contacted Chase executive office by Sep. and called back in Oct. I was super busy with life to bother with these claims who kept giving me the run around. they suggested to talk to Paypal, if the merchant is refusing to answer my additional emails. I had bought 2 of the bookings with my card through Paypal and they to gave me very little back. Kiwi gave me a 3 to 6 month or longer timeline for a refund and they still haven't refunded me the money. Recently, earlier in January of 2021contacted each airline I could on my booking, almost all of them have refunded the money to Kiwi, but Kiwi has refused to give me my money back. Chase has refused to charge back my money. Paypal gave me next to nothing back. I filed complaints to Chase, and Kiwi. with the better business bureau and still nothing. I filed a complaint with the Department of transportation and still nothing. My last option I looked up was small claims court against the merchant, or maybe even chase. but it's way too complicated and I'm again busy with my life and don't want to throw additional money at this problem no more. Has anyone had any success in getting their money back with this company, Kiwi.com, please help me! i booked with them before all this pandemic chaos, and they were very prompt with my concerns and missed flights but they have truly gotten horrible throughout this pandemic.

smd

Mar 14, 2018
By March 15th, about one week before departure I decided to cancel the 3 bookings. 2 days before departure, my initial flight out of the country was cancelled, it was inevitable.
Just to clarify, does this mean that you cancelled the tickets 7 days before departure and 5 days later the airline cancelled the flight? If so, it's unlikely that you are due a refund. Generally airlines provided vouchers for future travel in this situation.

Jan 16, 2021
guidelines were fluid at the moment and changing arbitrarily and I was very confused about what to do next in the situation. as I said it was inevitable that I wasn't able to leave the country. How was I supposed to know 6 months in advance that the world would shut down?

Reactions: Alis Grammy

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If you canceled the flight before the airline did, you aren’t due a refund I’m sorry to say. Only if the airline cancels are you due a refund.

Please read this article:

Comicman

Jul 13, 2020
I am going to add what I have been saying with most of these OTA situations.
You did not book with the airline. You booked with Kiwi. It is quite irrelevant what the airline is doing ( refunding or crediting), you booked with Kiwi so you get what ever kiwi's terms and conditions say.
As long as Kiwi gives you a credit ( remember you will have to pay Kiwi's charges for processing this credit that you agreed to when you used this company to buy your tickets).
By March 15th, about one week before departure I decided to cancel the 3 bookings.
You canceled so you are not due a refund. You are only due a credit. Further it is irrelevant if the airlines canceled the flight after you did. Once you cancel your tickets you are bound by different rules. These do not change if 5 minutes after you canceled the airlines also cancel.
they suggested to talk to PayPal,
Why would you deal with Chase if you charged through PayPal ( do not do this next time you lose too many rights doing this, use your card direct)?
almost all of them have refunded the money to Kiwi, but Kiwi has refused to give me my money back.
Since you canceled it does not matter if the airline refunded Kiwi, you are only due what Kiwi's terms say you are which is a credit. Did they offer you a credit for future travel?

Chase has refused to charge back my money.
Which I would expect as you used PayPal to pay Kiwi not Chase. the BBB has no power to do any thing but message Kiwi to ask for a refund. If kiwi says no, then nothing happens. They have no power to do anything.
My last option I looked up was small claims court against the merchant, or maybe even chase.
Good luck with the small claims court. Do you know what country to serve the papers in? As to suing Chase , What did chase do to warrant being sued? Process a legitimate charge ... not sure they are liable for anything here.
To save a little money you booked with this OTA that has marginal customer service at the best of times. Has 1000's of pre-Covid complaints. You have to understand they just have no money left. It is very wrong they are not giving you back your money. And you might just have to wait quite a bit longer to get your refund.

you are in a big boat with 1000's trying to get a refund from Kiwi. Many threads out there about this. Some even with posts of people getting their money. So maybe time will tell. But I do not think anything will happen till Covid is more under control.
I feel your anger and frustration, I have it myself as I have things not refunded yet ( 9 months and counting). Like you I am just hoping in some time I will be made whole. But I do not think it will be soon.
I wish you the best of luck.

Comicman

Jul 13, 2020
I think my post sounds a bit harsh. This was not my intent. Sorry.
This company is like a bad slot machine it never pays out.
No one knew this would happen not me , not you and certainly not the airlines and travel agents.
I do believe if this company wants to exist after Covid it will have to pay all the refunds and credits owed to it's customers.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I'm sorry you booked with an online service. You should have a credit with the airline, issued through Kiwi. If you cancelled the flights, you won't receive a refund, just the credit for future travel. If the airline cancelled the flights, you need to request a refund from Kiwi. It will take a very long time to get this straightened out. Document everything you can; months or years from now you may need info that has been lost along the way. As regards Chase, it's your job to understand how your CC works; they're not lying to you, they did inform you but you didn't read your Member Benefits. Even if you lose the original booklet that comes with the CC, Member Benefits are always on Chase' website. I have no idea what the PayPal reference means. I know this is frustrating but hopefully now you understand how it all works and that you need to deal with Kiwi in writing. A phone agent will tell you almost anything to get you off the phone, so stay off the phone.

Comicman

Jul 13, 2020
I have no idea what the PayPal reference means
I believe that s/he booked with Kiwi through PayPal , which allows you to use your balance, your credit card of they can withdrawal it from your checking or savings account. I think he paid with PatPal using his Chase card to fund the transaction.
I hope the OP will correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2021
it did sound a little harsh, all of my options to try to get help for this situation have been giving me disingenuous remarks about everything. I'll clarify what other questions you had.
As I said earlier, rules where changing too quickly for me to make a clear decision and life got to me by the time of departure. (family death, basically) I felt that I needed to make a decision by that time (mid March) because well it was looking inevitable that it was going to be cancelled. And that I couldn't leave the country at all, I didn't know at that time to just wait it out. remember this pandemic caused a lot of chaos in the beginning and companies and governments were scrabbling to find any solution to fix things.
I didn't know that I possibly forfeited my rights by taking a cancellation into my own hands. (I guess I was just trying to be proactive to the current circumstances) even still I'm owed a credit through Kiwi, but they haven't responded back with my refund since then, according to their terms and conditions.
I called Chase because I was denied a service, and from reports I had looked up, they had suggested to file for a chargeback for services/ products not received, ie flight cancellation. but I was unaware of any timelines, they still asked for the info to investigate but again why would they ask for the info if by the time I sent them it, they would do nothing because it was already pass the timeline.
the reason I used Paypal for two of the bookings (the exact same credit card was used on all 3 bookings) was to earn 5x points with Chase for these big purchases.
I wanted to tell each company how I felt about their services and customer service so I knew I could file complaints with the BBB. Kiwi never responded to the request, Chase executive did, and I explained the whole situation up until that point to them. They couldn't do anything they said. I told them I was lied to them by the customer service rep about timelines or was not notified (they said they would send notices in the mail, but as some of yall have pointed out they will literally say anything to get me off the phone, the notices where sent to their online secure messaging, the card I was using, I was also an authorized user on that card, so they were being sent to my family member's email. not my personal one) about them yet they still suggested to send info to them, when they couldn't do anything to remedy my financial situation.
I couldn't find no info at the time about chargebacks and timelines. (this was around April-June, precious time I could have used to properly file any claim, but again not as a excuse I was working nonstop, essential worker and had a family death to attend to so I couldn't devote any time to these matters)
I did find it eventually and I remember there were specifics that I read up about like terrorism, weather, strikes, pandemics and other acts of God scenarios where the credit card wouldn't chargeback
as a last note, about the small claims court I had looked up some info online about what to do if all options failed. it suggested to file in small claims court. but Kiwi is located in Czech Republic, but also has a office in Washington and I think Miami, but with the complicated mess of what this is and with more money to be thrown at it to probably fail, I'm not going to choose that route regardless.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
What airline were you flying?

Kiwi has an office in Delaware. You can try filing a complaint with the Attorney General there. Again, you may not get a refund because you canceled before the airline did, but they may at least contact you if you file.

Kiwi.com INC
1209 Orange Street
Wilmington Delaware, 19801
USA
+12028444159

(Did you try calling this 202 area code number?)

Here is a link to the AG:

It’s too bad you didn’t find us back then because the original story I gave you in post 4 was published back then.

Reactions: jsn55 and VoR61
Jan 16, 2021
What airline were you flying?

Kiwi has an office in Delaware. You can try filing a complaint with the Attorney General there. Again, you may not get a refund because you canceled before the airline did, but they may at least contact you if you file.

Kiwi.com INC
1209 Orange Street
Wilmington Delaware, 19801
USA
+12028444159

(Did you try calling this 202 area code number?)

Here is a link to the AG:

It’s too bad you didn’t find us back then because the original story I gave you in post 4 was published back then.
Norwegian Airlines 2 flights, Turkish airlines 2 flights, Pegasus airlines, Atlas Global, Tap Portugal, Vueling, and Southwest. There were 7 different airlines to be traveled on under 3 separate bookings. The number I called was the customer service number out in Washington DC.
I'll Try this option.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I believe that s/he booked with Kiwi through PayPal , which allows you to use your balance, your credit card of they can withdrawal it from your checking or savings account. I think he paid with PatPal using his Chase card to fund the transaction.
I hope the OP will correct me if I am wrong.
Why would such a convoluted transaction be chosen when the CC could have been used directly to purchase the tix? The Ultimate Rewards bonus would have been the same.

Reactions: Neil Maley
May 21, 2020
near Charlotte, NC
Why would such a convoluted transaction be chosen when the CC could have been used directly to purchase the tix? The Ultimate Rewards bonus would have been the same.
If it was something like the Chase Freedom card, it offers bonus categories each quarter where you can get 5x points/$. At least once a year, PayPal is one of the bonus categories. One just needs to link their Freedom card as their default cc in PayPal and use PayPal to pay for stuff during that quarter.

I agree. Convoluted.

Jun 24, 2019
If I understand the story correctly, the charges were made in October 2019, and cancelled in March 2020. Charges made in October would have posted to a statement closing by November 30, and thus OP had 60 days for a credit card dispute, or by about January 29, 2020. As of January, OP was going on the trip. So a credit card chargeback was never in the cards.

Credit card companies will take reports of untimely credit card chargebacks and forward them to the merchant. However, once the merchant affirms the charge, the credit card company is within its rights to resolve the dispute in favor of the merchant.

I would not be mad at Chase here as nothing Chase did made the problem worse or unsolvable.

That OP charged the tickets on Paypal adds a level of complexity, but does not affect the credit card chargeback analysis.

And OP used an OTA, which adds another level of complexity.

Then OP has arrangements with 7 airlines. And OP cancelled the trip, not the airlines (who may have cancelled the flights after OP cancelled the trip.) So, at best, OP may be entitled to vouchers. On 7 airlines. At least one of which, Norwegian, is not going to fly long haul flights anymore.

I don't see any solution other than waiting and, one a month or so, grit your teeth, make a stiff drink, and sit on hold for a couple of hours to see if there is news. OP may never get vouchers for 100% of what was paid, and even if OP does so, OP may have no ability to use them.

I'm not unsympathetic. I have a voucher on Al Italia I may never get to use and I'm sitting on $11,000 in credits at Celebrity that my doctor says I'll never use.