Kitchenaid / whirlpool doesn't stand behind their products

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 12, 2021
I need help to get in contact with with someone at Kithenaide /Whirpool to respond to my me requests. I have sent emails to the following contacts and have not heard from them as I am unsatisfied with the resolution provided and I would like to escalate the issue.

Joseph Liotine
President Whirlpool North America
2000 N. M-63
Benton Harbor, MI 49022-2692
[email protected]

Marc Bitzer
CEO, Chairman
2000 N. M-63
[email protected]
Executive fax number: (269) 759-7110

My oven, which is less than 10 years old, only needs one part replaced. However, I was advised that this replacement part is no longer in production. This means: (1) I must completely replace my oven and (2) I must redo my cabinets to fit the new oven since there is no alternative with the same dimensions. The fact that Kitchenaid simply does not produce the replacement part will cost me close to $10,000.
I was advised this product was manufactured on 01/01/2013. I bought the same product December 29, 2012. (receipt attached). The customer service representative I spoke to was also surprised Kitchenaid does not manufacture the parts anymore. She advised that your company usually manufactures parts for more than 10 years. When a typical oven is expected to last at least 10 years, it is extremely unreasonable that I am expected to replace my 7 year old oven out of pocket.
As I have emphasized in my previous correspondences, I do not want a new oven. This oversight on your end means I have no choice but to replace my oven for an issue that could be easily fixed.
The Kitchenaid brand enjoys a great reputation and goodwill in the market. I expect Kitchaid to stand behind their products. However, this experience has left me utterly disappointed. The message your company has sent me is that you do not believe in your products. They are unreliable, and your customers should not expect them to last a reasonable lifespan.
I was offered a 30% Repurchase Incentive, which is completely unacceptable for an appliance less than 10 years old. No one has acknowledged how unnecessary this issue would have been if your company had reasonably carried the replacement parts. Furthermore, how am I supposed to know that you will have the parts available to fix the new oven in the future? I would expect at least a 70-80% discount, and even then, I need to spend another few thousand dollars to fix my cabinets.
Overall, I am very disappointed with both the situation and the discount offered. I feel that your customer service is forcing me to accept a sub-par offer when I am entitled to believe my appliance should last more than 7 years.
This is an extremely significant burden on my finances, especially during these unprecedented times, for a completely avoidable issue. I have been a longtime customer of Kitchenaid due to the quality of your products, but this experience has made it clear that you do not stand by them.
I look forward to hearing from you as the president of Whirlopool for a better resolution on this matter.

Edited by moderator to remove correspondence that included the posters personal email address.

Attachments

• Kitchen oven receipt.pdf
    163.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Unfortunately, you have an 8 year old oven if it was manufactured in 2013. It is out of warranty. And many manufacturers do not continue to make parts on older appliances.

Have you done an online search of the part number to see if you can find it at a parts store? Some stores might still have older parts they can get their hands on.

We have stories here from others with much newer appliances out of warranty and the best the company will offer is a partial credit on another appliance.

I did find this researching - if your oven was made in Jan. of 2013, you have an 8 year old oven- beyond the 7 years mentioned. Some states require a manufacturer to have parts for 7 years. What state are you located in? This is applicable in the US.

b) Every manufacturer making an express warranty with respect to an electronic or appliance product described in subdivision (h), (i), (j), or (k) of Section 9801 of the Business and Professions Code, with a wholesale price to the retailer of one hundred dollars ($100) or more, shall make available to service and repair facilities sufficient service literature and functional parts to effect the repair of a product for at least seven years after the date a product model or type was manufactured, regardless of whether the seven-year period exceeds the warranty period for the product.

Jul 13, 2016
I am sorry to say that I do not think Kitchenaid will ever make you whole. I cannot think of any company that would continue to manufacture parts 6+ years after discontinuing an appliance. Parts are typically manufactured on an assembly line and once the model is discontinued, the assembly line is repurposed. Of course they want you to buy a new oven. KitchenAid is in the appliance business, not the repair business. It will be prohibitively expensive for the company to manufacture one part for you. The days of appliances lasting 10+ years is gone. It is not KitchenAid’s fault that you need to replace a wall cabinet to fit a new oven. If you press the company you might get a small discount on a new oven, but perhaps you will decide to take your business elsewhere. Just bear in mind you may run into this scenario again in the future.

Reactions: BittyBoo and VoR61
Aug 29, 2018
I need help to get in contact with with someone at Kithenaide /Whirpool to respond to my me requests. I have sent emails to the following contacts and have not heard from them as I am unsatisfied with the resolution provided and I would like to escalate the issue.

Joseph Liotine
President Whirlpool North America
2000 N. M-63
[email protected]

Marc Bitzer
CEO, Chairman
2000 N. M-63
[email protected]
Executive fax number: (269) 759-7110
It was a mistake to start at the top, since that leaves you nowhere else to go.
I was offered a 30% Repurchase Incentive, which is completely unacceptable for an appliance less than 10 years old. No one has acknowledged how unnecessary this issue would have been if your company had reasonably carried the replacement parts. Furthermore, how am I supposed to know that you will have the parts available to fix the new oven in the future? I would expect at least a 70-80% discount, and even then, I need to spend another few thousand dollars to fix my cabinets.
As a landlord, I am allowed to depreciate appliances (like an oven) over a five year lifetime.The fact that you are getting 30% after eight years would be considered generous.

Comicman

Jul 13, 2020
I have the same exact problem with my 19 year old dishwasher and my 15 year old oven. They are built into my kitchen. Luckily with the aid of YouTube videos and being very lucky searching the appliance junk yards to source my parts I have been able to repair them ( well except the part in the dishwasher that auto opens to drop the soap pack).
Have you tried getting used parts?
What part is not working?
Have you looked on eBay for this part ( used or new)?
So far all but 1 of the parts I bought worked great ( the one that did not I was able to get a refund for).
I wish you luck and feel for you because I know eventually I will have to redo my kitchen to make room for new appliances.

Jun 7, 2020
I recently replaced a double wall oven and was similarly concerned about fit in the existing cabinetry. After consulting with a knowledgeable salesperson at a mom-and-pop appliance shop (rather than a useless big box store), I was able to locate a unit which fit in my cabinet cut-out with only a minor modification. The installer only had to make one cut to make the oven fit and waived the $150 carpentry fee since it was so minor (I already paid the $299 delivery and installation fee).
My point is that if ultimately the OP does buy a new appliance, a bit of research can prove successful.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
There are non-OEM vendors supplying replacement parts for many types of appliances.
Have you looked at them?

For example:

Sep 27, 2018
I recently replaced a double wall oven and was similarly concerned about fit in the existing cabinetry. After consulting with a knowledgeable salesperson at a mom-and-pop appliance shop (rather than a useless big box store), I was able to locate a unit which fit in my cabinet cut-out with only a minor modification. The installer only had to make one cut to make the oven fit and waived the $150 carpentry fee since it was so minor (I already paid the $299 delivery and installation fee).
My point is that if ultimately the OP does buy a new appliance, a bit of research can prove successful.
Had the same problem, needed to replace our giant GE double oven. With the help of a kitchen store we found one that fit the width perfectly, and 5" difference in less height was solved by building a shelf in the cavity above the new oven that holds cookie sheets and similar bake ware. Most appliances come in a couple of standard widths, so it is usually easy to replace appliances. I'd get a second opinion.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I hired a contractor to find me a replacement oven to fit my cabinets. Had to hire him anyway to install a new oven, so the extra effort was a reasonable cost.

Reactions: FrankL183
Sep 27, 2018
There are non-OEM vendors supplying replacement parts for many types of appliances.
Have you looked at them?

For example:

Depending on the part that needs to be replaced, they may not have it if is a proprietary part by the vendor. However, all is not lost, use these sites to get that exact part number and name of the part. Then look for it on ebay, there are many recyclers that will disassemble and sell the parts. One caution is that if it is an electronic controller you need to weigh the cost of replacing it, only to have it fail in a short period of time. Many of the older wall ovens got the electronics too hot, causing failure. My new wall oven now has a fan that runs continuously to cool the electronics any time the oven is turned on. You will have to balance the cost versus risk.

May 16, 2016
Have you contacted an authorized KitchenAid repair service or talked to a local shop to find out who they recommend for repairs? The repair guys often stock up on parts when they know that a particular model is being discontinued for this very reason and may have what you need. You don't mention the specific model # of your oven, but an oven you bought 8 years ago is probably a model that was introduced 5 or more years before that. Another option would be to contact some local kitchen remodelers or posting a request on Nextdoor to see if someone is remodeling their kitchen and removing an oven just like the one you already have. Someone may be getting rid of that very same oven, even if it still works. You could consider buying someone else's old oven or getting it for free, if you're willing to pick it up and haul it away.

May 16, 2018
Hello......it is very likely that you can find just the part you need on eBay. I have found all kinds of parts there that are just not manufactured any more. Some are even new in the box. I recommend you just search for the part you need on eBay and also check other sites that sell parts for out-dated products. I fixed my dishwasher this way, saving a ton of money.

Skippy

May 30, 2019
I've had positive experiences with Repair Clinic. They take 3-5 days to respond to emails; however, their responses are often at the expert-level. It may be worth a try. YMMV.