Kitchen countertop chipped after installation

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jul 16, 2019
I had ordered kitchen countertop including installations "dekton entzo calacatta" from home depot and it was installed towards end of Jan by home depot vendor.

The cost was approx 10,000.

Countertop chipped end of januarary.

Is homedepot resposible for fixing it? response from intial calls was helding me responsible for chip. I believe it was a bad piece and chipped due to the defect in stone.
Should i go through small claim court to get home depot attention?

Please advise.

Thanks
Ajay

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
How did the chip happen? Did you drop something on it? Did the countertop come with a warranty? Usually silestone or wuarts may come with warranties but not granite.

Granite is hard but it can chip if something hard is dropped on it. We got quartz exactly for this reason - we are too clumsy to have granite.

I agree with Jville that you might need a granite expert to look at it.

Mar 14, 2018
I had ordered kitchen countertop including installations "dekton entzo calacatta" from home depot and it was installed towards end of Jan by home depot vendor.

The cost was approx 10,000.

Countertop chipped end of januarary.

Is homedepot resposible for fixing it? response from intial calls was helding me responsible for chip. I believe it was a bad piece and chipped due to the defect in stone.
Should i go through small claim court to get home depot attention?

Please advise.

Thanks
Ajay
Dekton has a 25 year warranty on that product. If it was defective,, they would be responsible. This page has info on how to file a claim: https://www.dekton.com/usa/warranty/

Mar 14, 2018
How did the chip happen? Did you drop something on it? Did the countertop come with a warranty? Usually silestone or wuarts may come with warranties but not granite.

Granite is hard but it can chip if something hard is dropped on it. We got quartz exactly for this reason - we are too clumsy to have granite.

I agree with Jville that you might need a granite expert to look at it.
That countertop isn't granite--It's a man-made surface.

Mar 23, 2015
Countertop chipped end of januarary.[sic]

Ajay
You make it sound like a chip just "appeared" out of nowhere. How did the chip occur? If you dropped or heavily set a cast iron skillet, for example, on it, it WILL chip. That isn't a defect, that is the nature of the product. I have, sadly, done that to my own granite countertop. You can't blame the installation of the product for your treatment of the product post-installation, unless the chip was directly related to installation: e.g. they banged it when they installed it. You're going to have to say HOW IT CHIPPED before any reasonable person can make a determination as to who is at fault.

Jul 16, 2019
The countertop isn't granite--It's a man-made surface made of natural stone. I haven't dropped anything. We found out chipped surface during wiping it with a cloth. Its about 1.5 cm chipped.

Dealer is insisting that chipped might be result of dropping something heavy on it and saying that it is not covered under warranty.

They won't accept that it can happen due to a defect and won't take my words that nothing dropped on it.
Trying to figure out what is my option in this scenario.

Thanks for response.
Ajay.

Mar 14, 2018
The countertop isn't granite--It's a man-made surface made of natural stone. I haven't dropped anything. We found out chipped surface during wiping it with a cloth. Its about 1.5 cm chipped.

Dealer is insisting that chipped might be result of dropping something heavy on it and saying that it is not covered under warranty.

They won't accept that it can happen due to a defect and won't take my words that nothing dropped on it.
Trying to figure out what is my option in this scenario.

Thanks for response.
Ajay.
Your first step is to file the warranty claim. If they deny it, you can then go to either your state regulatory agency or court. In any event, you will need to show this was a manufacturing defect and not something you did.

Consumer Reports tested this material and found it more prone to chipping and cracking than other countertop materials: https://www.consumerreports.org/cro...op-cracks-in-consumer-reports-tests/index.htm

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Your first step is to file the warranty claim. If they deny it, you can then go to either your state regulatory agency or court. In any event, you will need to show this was a manufacturing defect and not something you did.

Consumer Reports tested this material and found it more prone to chipping and cracking than other countertop materials: https://www.consumerreports.org/cro...op-cracks-in-consumer-reports-tests/index.htm
Well done, smd! Great information. I have ceramic tile counters from 1963. They are flawless ... except for a hairline crack in one of them that appeared a couple of months ago. Of course, nobody in my house will admit to causing it, but somehow I doubt it happened without some sort of pressure somewhere, some time. I would definitely file a warranty claim, but be prepared to hire someone to come fix the little chip. OTOH, if this material is prone to chips and cracks, wait until you're ready to sell the house and get it all done at once.