Kenmore Elite Washing Machine

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 16, 2019
Today our 13-month old $1,000+ Kenmore Elite washing machine’s glass lid EXPLODED; even though it was not used today and no one was near the machine! This is a acceptable! I know others have had the same issue. The technician is coming Monday. I’ll keep you updated. We want a new machine!

Sep 20, 2018
You can certainly ask for a free repair, but in the end, I'm afraid that a resolution (if any) is going to have to eventually come from whomever picks up Kenmore in the inevitable soon-to-happen Sears liquidation. (NOTE: It's not a given that whomever buys the Kenmore brand will do anything at all to assist old Kenmore customers. It depends on if they just want the brand name to use for their own purposes, or if they plan on continuing to service existing customers. That's really entirely their choice. They don't even have to honor warranties if they don't want to, much less assist out-of-warranty customers.)

In the meantime, I suggest *not* paying a technician unless you cannot DIY it. This should be a part you can install yourself, and if you can't get Sears to pay for the repair, that's just something else you'll have to pay for out-of-pocket. You can buy the part yourself from Sears directly (so they can't argue you overpaid for it.)

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
CNN posted story a few months ago about how the Kenmore brand ended up on “the scrap heap”. Look for it, it tells you about the demise of the brand when the major appliance makers stopped making the Kenmore brand.

Jan 22, 2019
Yesterday, I became a victim of the spontaneously exploding glass lid on the Kenmore Elite washer. It was not use at the time. It was approximately 7pm at night. No one was in the laundry room. I was in the kitchen with our youngest daughter. My son was in his bedroom. We heard “CRASH!” and we all started looking for the source of that sound. It was unusual and I started processing what could that be? Something fall? Kids are it hurt...what happened? Then my son said, I know what it was, as he stared at the laundry room and the shards of glass everywhere.

I looked at the now shattered broken lid and tried to make sense of how did this happen? It was not in use. Nothing fell on the lid. It was not too hot, not too cold...how could this just happen? After spending considerable time cleaning the glass just to make it safe to walk around the area, I finally had a chance to research the issue and found nemerous other stories from customers...now victims, of Sears Kenmore Elite design negligence.

This is clearly a design issue and flaw and Sears is responsible and accountable. The machine cannot be repaired back to safe nor trustworthy condition. The tub is full of tiny fragments, shards and dust of glass. All of which is I side the machine.

Sears should be providing a full refund for this less than one year old, extremely pricey machine.

Meanwhile, we are down and out in doing laundry for active family of 6! Immediate resolution desired and desperately needed.

Attachments

Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Yesterday, I became a victim of the spontaneously exploding glass lid on the Kenmore Elite washer. It was not use at the time. It was approximately 7pm at night. No one was in the laundry room. I was in the kitchen with our youngest daughter. My son was in his bedroom. We heard “CRASH!” and we all started looking for the source of that sound. It was unusual and I started processing what could that be? Something fall? Kids are it hurt...what happened? Then my son said, I know what it was, as he stared at the laundry room and the shards of glass everywhere.

I looked at the now shattered broken lid and tried to make sense of how did this happen? It was not in use. Nothing fell on the lid. It was not too hot, not too cold...how could this just happen? After spending considerable time cleaning the glass just to make it safe to walk around the area, I finally had a chance to research the issue and found nemerous other stories from customers...now victims, of Sears Kenmore Elite design negligence.

This is clearly a design issue and flaw and Sears is responsible and accountable. The machine cannot be repaired back to safe nor trustworthy condition. The tub is full of tiny fragments, shards and dust of glass. All of which is I side the machine.

Sears should be providing a full refund for this less than one year old, extremely pricey machine.

Meanwhile, we are down and out in doing laundry for active family of 6! Immediate resolution desired and desperately needed.
Sears is about to be liquidated. They are currently in bankruptcy. If you wait for Sears to fix/re[place this washer you are likely never to have success. If you wish to do laundry you will need to purchase a new appliance from another vendor.

You can contact Sears but do not expect a response. Their customer service employees who can do so have left for other employers.
https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/sears/

Jan 22, 2019
Update.
Purchase date was Nov 28, 2017. Black Friday sales at Sears. So I am just outside the one year warranty. Called Sears warranty, they offer to send a technician for $100 to come and assess...or I can accept my $1000+ loss now and replace out of pocket. I decided to schedule the technician and visit will be this Friday afternoon. I do not like throwing money at something that is unlikely to be resolved in my favor, but I also not will8ng to just give up and accept loss.

Question, has anyone tried to have better business bureau advocate on this topic? My main point to sears is that this is a design flaw, not a wear or use issue. That from day one, the design of this lid, is obviously and factually flawed for spontaneous breakage to occur. I am attempting this argument to challenge the one year warranty period and expiration.

Comments?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
The BBB is useless. They can't do anything other than report your complaint to the company, and tell you what the companies response is if they bother to write back.

Your state Attorney General is a better option.

Have you done what Chris's story advises :

You could have escalated this to Sears. I list the names, numbers and email addresses of the Sears customer service executives on my consumer advocacy site. Or you just could have done what everyone else seems to do when their appliance shatters: They take pictures of the broken washer and post them online for the whole world to see. At the very least, you should do a quick online search before buying your next appliance. You might be surprised by what you find.

Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Update.
Purchase date was Nov 28, 2017. Black Friday sales at Sears. So I am just outside the one year warranty. Called Sears warranty, they offer to send a technician for $100 to come and assess...or I can accept my $1000+ loss now and replace out of pocket. I decided to schedule the technician and visit will be this Friday afternoon. I do not like throwing money at something that is unlikely to be resolved in my favor, but I also not will8ng to just give up and accept loss.

Question, has anyone tried to have better business bureau advocate on this topic? My main point to sears is that this is a design flaw, not a wear or use issue. That from day one, the design of this lid, is obviously and factually flawed for spontaneous breakage to occur. I am attempting this argument to challenge the one year warranty period and expiration.

Comments?
You are not dealing with a company that is a viable business entity. Sears is bankrupt and will probably liquidate rather than continue to operate. This is not Whirlpool or Maytag, this is a business that has been failing for YEARS and was likely selling low-quality merchandise for several years before November 2017 while trying to do anything to generate cash flow (they failed at this). There are no resources that Sears has to fix anything. Publicizing this issue will not impact Sears in any way since the business is out of business. Sears bankruptcy creditors think that Sears is worth more liquidated than if they stay in business.
Google "sears liquidation".

Mar 14, 2018
You are not dealing with a company that is a viable business entity. Sears is bankrupt and will probably liquidate rather than continue to operate. This is not Whirlpool or Maytag, this is a business that has been failing for YEARS and was likely selling low-quality merchandise for several years before November 2017 while trying to do anything to generate cash flow (they failed at this). There are no resources that Sears has to fix anything. Publicizing this issue will not impact Sears in any way since the business is out of business. Sears bankruptcy creditors think that Sears is worth more liquidated than if they stay in business.
Google "sears liquidation".
Whoah! Sears is not being liquidated as they have accepted a bid from their largest shareholder to remain open. Further, even if they did liquidate it would not necessarily result in them being able to shed warranty obligations.

The OP's problem is not a design defect. Tempered glass can have hidden damage that causes it to spontaneously shatter. This is usually a manufacturing (as opposed design) defect, although it can result from damage caused after manufacturing.

The challenge for the OP is the warranty (which protects against manufacturing defects) has expired. I see two options:
1) Check with the credit card used for purchase to see if it offers an extended warranty​
2) Nicely ask Sears for an accomodation, realizing that they would be making an exception​

Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Whoah! Sears is not being liquidated as they have accepted a bid from their largest shareholder to remain open. Further, even if they did liquidate it would not necessarily result in them being able to shed warranty obligations.

The OP's problem is not a design defect. Tempered glass can have hidden damage that causes it to spontaneously shatter. This is usually a manufacturing (as opposed design) defect, although it can result from damage caused after manufacturing.

The challenge for the OP is the warranty (which protects against manufacturing defects) has expired. I see two options:
1) Check with the credit card used for purchase to see if it offers an extended warranty​
2) Nicely ask Sears for an accomodation, realizing that they would be making an exception​
Sears may have accepted the latest offer, but the judge in charge of the bankruptcy has not accepted the offer. Sears' creditors feel that they will be better off if Sears is liquidated and the judge may agree with them. No one should make any plans based on Sears continued operation nor expect any support of warranties (and the appliance in question was not under any warranty).

Mar 14, 2018
Sears may have accepted the latest offer, but the judge in charge of the bankruptcy has not accepted the offer. Sears' creditors feel that they will be better off if Sears is liquidated and the judge may agree with them. No one should make any plans based on Sears continued operation nor expect any support of warranties (and the appliance in question was not under any warranty).
True they are not out of the woods yet. But a liquidation does not seem the most likely outcome, at least in the short term.