• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 25, 2021
I'm not sure whether the company is Aer Lingus or Justfly but I am in a loop between the two companies sending me back and forth regarding travel plans that were cancelled due to Covid 19 (travel was for June 2020). A travel credit was issued but with an expiry of Sep 2021. Justfly states that the travel credit is the responsibility Aer Lingus and Aer Lingus says the travel credit must be reconciled with Justfly. The travel credit can only be used for Aer Lingus and booking is possible via Just fly. Our government (Canada) advice is essential travel only and UK has restrictions regarding arrivals until June (last I heard). The initial purchase was for 3 people. Because of different circumstances, I am unable to travel until 2022 . One of the other travelers is in the same situation (unlikely to travel in 2021). All three travelers would prefer to travel when government authorities deem it safe.

I began my action to seek information regarding the travel credit on Jan 24 2021 with Justfly. After some time trying to find someone to speak with at Justfly - I used a booking issue option in order to speak to a person. The agent was optimistic that Aer Lingus would extend my travel credit at minimum and urged me to follow up with Aer Lingus. They provided me with contact information and advice regarding wording my request. I immediately followed up with the claim form on the Aer Lingus site. I received a reply one month to the day with the following response

"We apologize for the inconvenience, but upon review of your reservation, we would be unable to process a refund as you booked through a third-party. The organization that sold the ticket is responsible for processing refunds. We can only refund amounts collected by Aer Lingus directly. Please contact them regarding your claim."

I understand a full or partial refund is unlikely but how can I pursue an extension for the voucher . The value of the voucher is substantial (over 4000).
Who is responsible ? How can I speak to a person?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
The travel credit is the responsibility of Aer Lingus. They have to issue your voucher to JustFly and in turn Justfly gives it to you. And they have to refund any money to Justfly.

Did you cancel the flight or did AerLingus? Who charged your credit card for the tickets- Justfly or Aer Lingus?

Reactions: Patina and VoR61

Comicman

Jul 13, 2020
You need to speak to JustFly and then they need to speak to the airline. You are JustFly's customer and JustFly is the airlines customer. And you are not the airlines customer.
If you want an extension I believe you need to get JustFly to ask the airline to extend it.
Beyond that you will have to deal with things in JustFly's terms and conditions, which I believe include fees to collect refunds and credits. The agent you spoke with might not have known the process.
With luck if Covid is still not under control by September there will be automatic extensions ( I sure hope).
JustFly has so many complaints posted that I lost count. I wish you tons of luck.

Reactions: jsn55
Feb 25, 2021
Thank you Neil
My credit card has flight charges to aer lingus and fees to justfly as a separate item. At the time Aer Lingus (like many other airlines) were offering refunds for cancelled flights or vouchers for flights that were a certain period away. The flight was eventually cancelled but I was in receipt of the voucher before that time. Just before the flight was cancelled Aer Lingus changed the language of the refunds for cancelled flights and were only offering vouchers regardless of it being cancelled. However, I 'think' if I had booked for them my flight would be eligible for a full refund now (at least that is what I understand from their website). Aer Lingus language reads that they will not do anything for flights that were not directly booked through them.

As identified above Aer Lingus has replied to my request stating that Justfly is responsible and I should be contacting Justfly. Do you have suggestions on how to reply to Aer Lingus? Should I reply and mention the charge from them to my credit card?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Are you saying you canceled the flight before AerLingus did? If so- you aren’t due a refund, only a voucher. If you did not cancel before, and waited until AL canceled- a refund would be due if you opted for that.

It’s unfortunate you used Justfly- the BBB recommends not using them at all because of their poor customer service. If you do a search on our forums for Justfly, you will see many complaints about them.

We need to know if you canceled before the airline did to tell you how to proceed.

Feb 25, 2021
How the cancellation occurred is unclear to me. As I recall, I was offered the opportunity to cancel the plans and took the opportunity rather than wait until 72 hours before the flight. I was awarded a voucher however the voucher has date that expires Sep 2021. If a refund rather than voucher is not possible, I would like the chance to use the voucher with an extended date. I just don't know how to pursue and who to ask.

Yes agreed, it is unfortunate regarding my choice to use justfly. That said, had it not been for justfly I would not have used Aer Lingus as the airline was unknown to me. Thank you for your continued assistance.

VoR61

Jan 6, 2015
the United States
Given that Aer Lingus charged your credit card, they should be able to grant the extension/refund.

You can escalate this using the contacts provided in this link: AER LINGUS
be sure to start at the lowest level and that you give each contact one (1) week to respond before escalating to the next level
politely state only what they "need to know" in order to understand your experience and your request quickly (3-5 minutes)
offer to provide documentation at a later time as some technology systems will quarantine emails that contain attachments

the likelihood of a successful appeal increases when it contains three (3) elements: a polite approach, a brief narrative, and a reasonable request
Please take the time to update this thread as you progress toward a resolution . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Your feedback is important to the forum advocates (volunteers)

Last edited:

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Make sure you state that AerLingus charged your card, not Justfly.

Some airlines are not extending dates regardless of when they expire. We are seeing that with lower priced airlines. They may extend as the expiration dates get closer though.

Chances are AerLingus ended up canceling the flight but if you canceled before that, it’s a moot point. We actually ran an article about canceling too soon. Please refer to numbers 4 and 5:

Reactions: Comicman and VoR61

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I may have missed this, but I don't see that you were ever asking anybody for a refund. That's a positive, because the possibility of a refund is almost nil. You are seeking an extension of your existing credit for flights on Aer Lingus, right? AL has your money, so an extension should be done without much fuss if AerLingus will cooperate. It's been made quite clear that JustFly is worse than useless. You just have to ask AL and wait. I agree with VoR, handle this in writing, telephone agents can do nothing for your kind of problem. Just state the facts, no need to tell them about the virus and the countries who are locked down, everyone knows the situation. Be appreciative ...these people have been working under a negative cloud for nearly a year, and there may not be a great many of them left ... with no revenue, most companies have cut overhead to the bone. Good luck and please let us know what occurs.